Drumagog Latency in PT

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Anyone else find Drumagog unusable in PT because of the lack of plugin latency compensation? I'm having to print tracks to disk with Drumagog on in Cubase, then import them into PT. Because if I use Drumagog in PT, the Kick/Snare/Toms, etc. will be out of time with the rest of the kit by like 80ms. And before anyone says it, I don't wanna switch to ApTrigga, I like Drumagog better, and IMHO it triggers better than ApTrigga. I was just wondering if anyone also suffers from this problem, or can offer a work around other than printing tracks to disk in Cubase before mixing in PT.

Cheers.

Anyone else find Drumagog unusable in PT because of the lack of plugin latency compensation? I'm having to print tracks to disk with Drumagog on in Cubase, then import them into PT. Because if I use Drumagog in PT, the Kick/Snare/Toms, etc. will be out of time with the rest of the kit by like 80ms. And before anyone says it, I don't wanna switch to ApTrigga, I like Drumagog better, and IMHO it triggers better than ApTrigga. I was just wondering if anyone also suffers from this problem, or can offer a work around other than printing tracks to disk in Cubase before mixing in PT.

Cheers.

Either use the timeadjuster plug and shift all your other tracks forward by whatever latency drumagog is producing,

- or -

I just shift the whole track back (whether it be kick, snare, whatever) by whatever my latency is and make note of it in the mixer in the tracks note field so I don't forget.

How do I accurately shift tracks in PT? Drumagog produces a 79.98ms latency, how would I shift tracks exactly this amount? And where is the TimeAdjuster Plugin? Is it part of PT, or a third party plugin?

How do I accurately shift tracks in PT? Drumagog produces a 79.98ms latency, how would I shift tracks exactly this amount? And where is the TimeAdjuster Plugin? Is it part of PT, or a third party plugin?

it's a part of PT, you'll see it in one of your menus. I believe it's under the Delay category.

to accruately nudge a track earlier or later in, highlight the waveform, hit alt+H and a prompt will come up. it gives you options to shift seconds, samples, etc. as well as earlier or later.

choose earlier and type in whatever your delay is in samples.

done.

In drumagog it will tell you what your latency is on bottom maybe like 70ms.
Now select min/sec near top left as your time scale and then select grid up near same area in left. Now in a bar going across the top there is a little green timer thing and you need to select what your grid time scale is to. Like 10ms or 100ms or 1ms. Pick 10ms to start then zoom in on your track a little ways cause its pretty small grid. Next cut track with the trimmer tool to the grid. ( I usually cut up to first drum hit but to the grid line before it.

Then you slide back 7 grid marks if its 70ms or maybe its 25ms well then you would slide back 2 grid marks then go back and chose 1ms and then slide back 5 grid marks and thats your 25ms get my drift?

I wish i could like make a video of this but hope i explained somewhat decent and its actually really really easy to do. My only problem is my drumagog gives me weired latency times like 52.65ms and it never used to do that until i put a new hardrrive and reinstalled everything and with protools 7.0 Does your do that weired time instead of a even number??

In drumagog it will tell you what your latency is on bottom maybe like 70ms.
Now select min/sec near top left as your time scale and then select grid up near same area in left. Now in a bar going across the top there is a little green timer thing and you need to select what your grid time scale is to. Like 10ms or 100ms or 1ms. Pick 10ms to start then zoom in on your track a little ways cause its pretty small grid. Next cut track with the trimmer tool to the grid. ( I usually cut up to first drum hit but to the grid line before it.

Then you slide back 7 grid marks if its 70ms or maybe its 25ms well then you would slide back 2 grid marks then go back and chose 1ms and then slide back 5 grid marks and thats your 25ms get my drift?

I wish i could like make a video of this but hope i explained somewhat decent and its actually really really easy to do. My only problem is my drumagog gives me weired latency times like 52.65ms and it never used to do that until i put a new hardrrive and reinstalled everything and with protools 7.0 Does your do that weired time instead of a even number??

my way is way easier :devil:

i use PT's value in the mix window for the amount of samples the given plug-in is inducing.

yea i wrote yours down and am gonna start using:headbang:

So you can change drumagog to show latency in samples instead of milliseconds?

LMAO I love this dude... you say it triggers better than apTrigga, which in itself goes against 99% of the rest of the forum, but then complain about huge delays in the triggering. Most of us like apTrigga because it triggers so tightly... you know... without latency. :lol:

LMAO I love this dude... you say it triggers better than apTrigga, which in itself goes against 99% of the rest of the forum, but then complain about huge delays in the triggering. Most of us like apTrigga because it triggers so tightly... you know... without latency. :lol:

I think you're mistaking what I said. Drumagog seems to detect the beat a lot more accurately than ApTrigga to me. It's pretty much slap it on a track and go, I've never had that with ApTrigga, this is in Cubase. I was only asking how I could shift tracks forward in ProTools to align them with the Drumagog'd track, because this program doesn't have plugin latency compensation like Cubase does. I bet you have to shift tracks in ProTools with ApTrigga as well, because it MUST introduce some latency. So you WILL have the same problem as I'm having. And just because 99% of forum users here prefer ApTrigga, doesn't mean it's the be all and end all of Drum Samplers now does it?

I bought ApTrigga and I still perfer drumagog myself also:Smug: Like cobhc said its much simpler to get to trigger properly. With ApTrigga i seem to have either false hits or it misses triggers and I'm also struggling with it chasing the original drums hit velocity. Drumagog is easy just uncheck dynamic tracking and all the hits on kicks are consistent. Ive read the manual on ApTrigga but i guess i need to read again cause it just ain't working right for me:cry:

I think you're mistaking what I said. Drumagog seems to detect the beat a lot more accurately than ApTrigga to me. It's pretty much slap it on a track and go, I've never had that with ApTrigga, this is in Cubase. I was only asking how I could shift tracks forward in ProTools to align them with the Drumagog'd track, because this program doesn't have plugin latency compensation like Cubase does. I bet you have to shift tracks in ProTools with ApTrigga as well, because it MUST introduce some latency. So you WILL have the same problem as I'm having. And just because 99% of forum users here prefer ApTrigga, doesn't mean it's the be all and end all of Drum Samplers now does it?

actually, according to what Aptrigga is reporting to PT, it is not causing any latency :)

that's half the reason why I use Aptrigga. I'll admit though, if you have all the right velocities for a certain sample and set them up correctly within Drumagog, it's a much better choice for snares when you want to retain the dynamics of the original source.

Aptrigga doesn't do rolls to convincingly, but what I do is automate the dry level on the rolls to come up (of course the 'dry' snare is processed to my liking, but still is the original snare) and bring the wet level down slightly. works a treat.

actually, according to what Aptrigga is reporting to PT, it is not causing any latency :)

that's half the reason why I use Aptrigga. I'll admit though, if you have all the right velocities for a certain sample and set them up correctly within Drumagog, it's a much better choice for snares when you want to retain the dynamics of the original source.

Aptrigga doesn't do rolls to convincingly, but what I do is automate the dry level on the rolls to come up (of course the 'dry' snare is processed to my liking, but still is the original snare) and bring the wet level down slightly. works a treat.

Fair enough, I was just trying to point out to DSS3 that my only problem with Drumagog was latency in PT, otherwise I prefer it to ApTrigga in every way.

the best way to do it, is how andy said, which is to make a duplicate playlist of the track to be triggered, shift it back (alt+h) then bus it to a new track and record. bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt, although knowing drumagog, afterwards you'll have to go in and line 98% of the hits up manually

the best way to do it, is how andy said, which is to make a duplicate playlist of the track to be triggered, shift it back (alt+h) then bus it to a new track and record. bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt, although knowing drumagog, afterwards you'll have to go in and line 98% of the hits up manually

hmm.. i like that idea even better. never really thought of it.

thanks bro