Aptrigga > Drumagog!!

Hmm, how can you use APTrigga to *completely* replace non-printed EzDrummer (or any such) tracks? If I fade the Dry down to 0%, while leaving Wet at 100% in APTrigga, I can't hear anything anymore - just silence in the track. It doesn't seem to replace anything until the original sound is also too audible in the background (messing up the sound).

Something I missed?

Replacing: Wet = 100% & Dry = 0%

That works for me.

Not sure what you mean... You're using EZDrummer and routing individual channels to your DAW and putting apTrigga on each channel, and you have a sample loaded in each instance of apTrigga?

I've never tried to replace drums that weren't printed. If you're going to replace 100% anyway, why not print the EZD tracks? The printed track can just serve as the trigger for apTrigga.

OK!!! "I-dont-feel-like-working-for-you-agog"...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! Thats a fucking great quote right there :p

I had no problems with drumagog before, but after this STUPID black out after 4 instances im thinking of trying aptrigger and "drum I dont feel like working for you agog" together :)

ace
i might have to invest
sample replacer just came yesterday as part of my music production toolkit though...
descisions decisions
not really. lol
that thing only gives you 3 samples!!!
im buying apptrigga

ace
i might have to invest
sample replacer just came yesterday as part of my music production toolkit though...
descisions decisions
not really. lol
that thing only gives you 3 samples!!!
im buying apptrigga

I want to get that MPTK... but $500 is a chunk of change better spent right now... for christ sake, i've never sold any of my guitars before and I'm trying to now... :erk:

I hate money.

i must defend drumagog and say that, its still better at total replacement

aptrigga is way bettter if you intend to keep the original tracks and just stack a sample on top of the drums to make em bigger/punchier/thicker/whatever

i recently discovered this after doing a whole album worth of songs and realizing the pain i was having with aptrigga was instantly solved when i gave drumagog a go

i had already made all of the drum samples i would use, including velocity hits, pre mixed... i opened drumagog, hit new gog, hit add from file, selected each hit for that particular drum, then went to advanced mode and i was done, all of the hits triggered exactley to what he played, and sounded better

worked on kick, snare, and both toms, without a single glitch

rendered those down to save cpu, and now im a happy camper

i must defend drumagog and say that, its still better at total replacement

aptrigga is way bettter if you intend to keep the original tracks and just stack a sample on top of the drums to make em bigger/punchier/thicker/whatever

i recently discovered this after doing a whole album worth of songs and realizing the pain i was having with aptrigga was instantly solved when i gave drumagog a go

i had already made all of the drum samples i would use, including velocity hits, pre mixed... i opened drumagog, hit new gog, hit add from file, selected each hit for that particular drum, then went to advanced mode and i was done, all of the hits triggered exactley to what he played, and sounded better

worked on kick, snare, and both toms, without a single glitch

rendered those down to save cpu, and now im a happy camper

Drumagog works great for me too. No matter if replacing 100% or just augmenting.

You just have to set it up right - as you say, use the advanced mode, try auto align on/off, use of course the fixed latency version if your host has an automatic delay compensation, and everything's fine.

I also don't know what problems some people have with the GOG format.. load one file and you have multisamples if needed and multiple velocity layers ready to go instead of having to load single samples into the plug. CPU consumption also doesn't matter if you have a good, up-to-date workstation.

Of course Drumagog isn't cheap, but good software has its price sometimes..

-

I've never tried to replace drums that weren't printed. If you're going to replace 100% anyway, why not print the EZD tracks? The printed track can just serve as the trigger for apTrigga.

Because I'm still composing/adjusting the drums :)

Yes, it works for printed tracks, but not for the non-printed ones, at least for me. With Wet 100% / Dry 0%, the kick track just seems to mute, until I pull the Dry slider up - but that defeats the purpose. It's messy when both the original kick and the sample play at the same time :zombie:

Ive only done that once so far, ive always just exported the midi and forgetting about the printing. Sounds fine to me but the I think they say the drums sound a bit more realistic when printed.

Because I'm still composing/adjusting the drums :)

Yes, it works for printed tracks, but not for the non-printed ones, at least for me. With Wet 100% / Dry 0%, the kick track just seems to mute, until I pull the Dry slider up - but that defeats the purpose. It's messy when both the original kick and the sample play at the same time :zombie:

Hmmm. I'll see what happens when I put apTrigga after EZD this weekend, to see if I can replicate this.

If I were you, I would just use the EZD samples to monitor while you're tracking/composing/adjusting. Once you've finished the song, print the EZD tracks and put apTrigga on the audio tracks for the final mix. The EZD samples are certainly good enough to write/compose to, and it would help keep the CPU load down a little.

I always print my samples. Its necessary to be able to check the accuracy of the samples against the original track.

well,, after using Aptrigga for a few weeks....I must say it triggers just a little bit better than drumagog. But not too much better.

I still end up having to apply a light ratio (2:1 or so) rcomp before triggering. This is just simply a must. Even then, I still have to sometimes manually go in and amplify a few low hits in places here and there.....just as i did with drumagog.:erk:

I can't wait for the day when somebody comes out with a seriously intelligent trigger engine!:kickass: Less dicking around, more time for beer drinking!:p

I still end up having to apply a light ratio (2:1 or so) rcomp before triggering. This is just simply a must. Even then, I still have to sometimes manually go in and amplify a few low hits in places here and there.....just as i did with drumagog.:erk:

I can't wait for the day when somebody comes out with a seriously intelligent trigger engine!:kickass: Less dicking around, more time for beer drinking!:p

Compression brings the transients down!

apTrigga works as well as any sample trigger should, but drum triggering is never set & forget.

I forgot to try to duplicate the above problem with EZD > apTrigga, but I'll get around to it...

Compression brings the transients down!

yeah, I know that's been said. But in actual practice I find that when triggering kick or snare with alot of variable hard to soft hits......a light ratio compressor/limiter makes for an easier job.

Maybe I just have had nothing but shitty drummers. Typically for me, snare hits will vary from -12db to -1db. If I don't use comp... and set the threshold to catch the -12 hits, i get alot of false triggers and double hits on the -1's. And obviously if I back off the threshold to stop the false triggers, I lose the triggering on the -12 parts.:erk: Catch 22!

So, light compression/limiting levels out the -12 to -1 db range to more like -6db to -2 db......this means a little better triggering, and less manual editing to do.:)

Get on the drummer's ass about consistency. I hate it when a drummer is all over the place on snare and kick. It means they need to practice.

It also helps to process the song in sections. On complicated tracks, I work through the song doing all the snare rolls and ghost hits first, then I go back through using another instance of apTrigga with different settings and do the harder hits.

On the harder hits, there is usually no problem. On the snare rolls & ghost notes, I will manually adjust what needs to be adjusted, which is usually just a trim to bring the transient up above the rest of what the mic is picking up.

Remember that if you're compressing prior to triggering, the sample velocity is going to be more consistent, which may or may not be desirable.

Good luck!

Get on the drummer's ass about consistency. I hate it when a drummer is all over the place on snare and kick. It means they need to practice.

It also helps to process the song in sections. On complicated tracks, I work through the song doing all the snare rolls and ghost hits first, then I go back through using another instance of apTrigga with different settings and do the harder hits.

On the harder hits, there is usually no problem. On the snare rolls & ghost notes, I will manually adjust what needs to be adjusted, which is usually just a trim to bring the transient up above the rest of what the mic is picking up.

Remember that if you're compressing prior to triggering, the sample velocity is going to be more consistent, which may or may not be desirable.

Good luck!

so your "bouncing" the original snare track to another new track and silencing the whole file except for rolls, ghosts, and blast beats. And then the opposite for the original snare track.....silence all except for the straight snare hits.

And then run different trigger programs for each.

Then run both snare tracks into a stereo bus with comp-->reverb.

Damn.....kinda a pain in the ass, but I can see how that would give a better result. Damn metal music. I need to start recording country and soft rock! haha