Arabic or egypt influences of mikael?

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8327567 said:
To be honest, Lopez or Mendez never brought latin music into Opeth apart from the occasional lick. However, they did get me into the arabic style heavily and that's what some of his non-regular-rock drum patterns came from. Arabic music. I am not a big fan of typical latin music to be honest. I like some latino rock bands, but the traditional music never really got to me.

And the whole jazz idea never came from them either. When I met them they ONLY listened to black and death metal. I guess I depraved them somewhat, and later on, Lopez would come up with "hey, this beat is from the eastern part of Syria....dig!"

There you go.

I've learned rhythms in belly dance class that I recognize in Opeth's music. For example, I hear the Saidi (from Egypt) "dom-tak, dom-dom tak" rhythm in Bleak.

Well,as in the link you provided,he has a hybrid descent coming from both Arabic and Kurdish backgrounds like many people in Southeast Turkey but he is generally known as a Turk/Kurdi in Turkey.Few would know his Arabic background.Kurdish people are more common in Southeast Turkey than Arabic descents.

The music he makes is categorized as "arabesque".I don't know if this style is known worldwide but to those who are not familiar with,it has a great Arabic music influence both in melodies and singing-wise,plus it is generally a sorrowful music.Akerfeldt himself declared in 2008 İstanbul concert that he wrote the intro of Bleak after he had listened to Tatlıses.We were surprised,too. :D