Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

Originally posted by Ethereal Sage

Yeah, what is the 'bonus track'? I have the digi-pack, but I can't find any bonus track. I tried tracking backwards from the first track, as I did for La Masquerade Infernal to find its secret song, but nothing there. I see 8 tracks on the digi-pack version of Aspera Hiems Symfonia, are you refering to one of them?

Oh, then I've mistaken it. There are eight tracks in digipak too. In the normal version only seven tracks are named (Fall of Men is the last one), but it might be the same thing as with Dimmu's EDT. Even though Raabjorn is mentioned only in digipak, it's still not missing in the normal version. Sorry. ;)

OMG :OMG: :OMG: :yow: This album is so darn good. I've heard six songs from and I simply love each every millisecond from it. I can't describe the ecstacy I get when I'm listening to it. Take for example For to End Yet Again. That pianopart after 2:40 is just marvellous. And Kinetic. The guitars in the beginning sound so good. They make me shiver my ass out. :D And Garn sings better than ever. And Hellhammer drums better than ever. I could go on with this list endlessly. This must be the best album this year. No, this decade. Or this century. No, this is the best album ever. I'm speechless.

I'm not particularly impressed by it. It really sounds retro, and doesn't live up to the hype Garm gave it... i remember he went on about it having all "new" elements; electronic, drum&bass, techno etc, and it doesn't really have much of that. Sure its a good "one listen" album, but thats all it is. Album of the year? well, maybe for now but thats only because Dark Tranquillity haven't finished theirs yet! :D :lol:

Heh, I slightly refine my view now that I finally got my copy of it. This is surely the best album this year, at least until Opeth release their newest one(s). But, I must say this isn't as good as LMI is. At least yet. I'm not sure if it's just that I haven't listened it enough, but there isn't the same magic as LMI has. Or should I say, this is not as "avantgardistic", which is why I adore LMI. This is more of a better produced version of Aspera Hiems Symphonia, with the black metal parts replaced by "Covenantish" space-prog-black-metal.

The best thing in Sham Mirrors are the piano parts (For to End Yet Again for example). They are always just as jaw-dropping as in the first listening.

OK. That's the judgement after about six listenings. I'm sure I'll still refine my view.

I finally got the album and all I can say is.........WOW!!!!!!! I have just found my favorite album of the year (unless Ulver release something). It's just amazing....More information after I recover from the shock....

I heard somewhere that Ulver's next album will have more singing on it. I'm excited about that, since Garm's voice is really very good. Ulver's next release will, I guess, still be the remade version of Madrigal of the Night, which is also on the top of my waiting list. It should be released in the summer.