Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

DrX

Get off my lawn
Sep 10, 2001
Upstate Va
www.yahoo.com
I just got this CD, a few hours ago and I have already listened to it a few times. I know a lot of you have been talking about this one, but The Sham Mirrors absolutely blew my mind. It reminds me of the first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon, for the next few days I didn't want to do much more than listen to it. I've heard that their other CDs are good, as well, but I doubt they are better than this.

Agreed. This is one amazing album. Listening to it right now. The first thing that comes to mind whenever I put this cd on is the similiarity in feeling to Faith No More's Angle Dust. Maybe its the haunting keyboards and the ethereal vocal melodies but it somehow it brings back that Faith No More vibe. The one blackmetal song, which features the vocalist from ye ole Emperor, sticks out as a little of out of place.

Yes, The Sham Mirrors is my fav Arturus album, out of it and La Masquerade. It's weirdf you mention it now because I listened to it tonight on my walk home from work...and it reminded by how fucking awesome it is...

I LOVE Star Crossed, and For to End Yet Again, best...songs...ever.

Garm = god.

Daamn, it's hard to describe. Progressive, bits of eletronic, bits of black metal, very diverse. Try it!!
However, I prefer La Masquerade Infernale, which people use to call "circus metal" or anything like this... Indeed, it sounds something like the middle part of "By the pain I see in others"!!!
The debut Aspera Hiems Symfonia is true atmospheric black metal, but far from cheesy as Satyricon, Mayhem and the like...

Try them all, it's worth every minute or penny!

Originally posted by jeanreno
less time talking, more time describing mate. ;)

seriously, what do they sound like? :confused:

The Sham mirrors manages to an astounding number of musical forms in just 43 minutes. The words progressive and avantgarde don't even do it justice. You just need to listen to the CD, that's the only way to understand it.

ive been going on and on about this album for almost a year now.

this is one of the greatest albums ever made, no other way to put it. everything abotut it amazing. not for one second does the album let up or make you lose interest. completely mindblowing. buy it at once.

too bad garm left arcturus. :(

I doubt there will ever be another Arcturus CD.. Hellhammer and the rest have discussed it many times that it is just too hard for all of them to get togheter to write and record.

Sham Mirrors will most likely definitely be their last record. It's very good.. I loved it when I first got it.. but think the more I listen to it, the production bothers me a little.. sounds a little too thin. The guitars don't sound all that good to me, but all in all I do love the album. I think I just played it too much :) It's also a lot more straight forward than La Masquerade Infernale, which was very experimental.. very awesome though.

In an exclusive interview with BW&BK today, ULVER founder Garm (aka Tricky G) has announced that he has left ARCTURUS. "I no longer sing in Arcturus. We haven't made the decision public yet, it's still somewhat of a secret. I guess you guys will be the first to make it known."

Garm reveals that there are no hard feelings regarding his decision to quit the band, and the move is simply due to time constraints. "I had to choose and down-prioritize a few things. My record label, Jester Records, has 30 CDs in the catalogue and I really want to work with my artists first hand, because I believe in all of them. Arcturus was ok as an offspring project, but the other members have tried to get serious about it now. They want to rehearse three times a week, and I can't commit to that. I'm not happy with this move, but it's something that has to be done."

Garm also reveals that Ulver's next album will be called Utopian Enterprises and will be "filthy. It won't be violent musically, but it will be violent in other ways. We're returning to more conventional song-structures, but we'll still be trying to take the sound of things further."

Source: http://www.bravewords.com