Need help on Arcturus

hej

\m/
Apr 22, 2003
Sweden
Visit site
I have had The Sham Mirrors for a few weeks now (it's great btw), and I'm gonna pick up another Arcturus album within the next few days. Which do you guys think I should get?

hej said:
Isn't Disguised Masters a re-mastered version of LMI? If so, wouldn't it be better to get that instead?
No no no no no. To my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong, Disguised Masters is electronica-esque re-makes of their older material. I haven't tried LMI, I've heard it's a really hard album to get into, but worth it. I'm addicted to AHS. It's more like regular black metal though. There is a two discre-mastered version of it with 2 older EP's on the second disc, for the same price as one disc. I'm probably gonna get it soon. :D

I have been trying for a long time to get my hands on a copy of La Masquerade Infernale for a while, since I got The Sham Mirrors and it blew me away. I bid on a few copies on ebay, but they all went for over 20 dollars, and I can not find anywhere else to get it. Well, a couple days ago there was a copy with buy it now for 16.99 and free shipping. It should be here soon and I am looking forward to it.

If you like regular black-metal with some atmospheric keyboard touches , buy the Aspara Hiems Symfonia/Constellation/My Angel double cd . Do not even consider buying the original AHS since the new version has far better production . ( you can actually hear the bass etc. )

If you feel you're up for a more challenging album though , you should try La Masquarade Infernale . It's really hard to get into , but once you "get it" , it's amazing .

Disguised Masters is a"remix" album which contains only a single new song . All other tracks on the album are electronica infulenced remakes of previous tracks . In my opinion , yoıu should not consider buying it until you've got all the other regular albums .

Disguised masters isn heavily remixed.. you can hardly hear it's the same songs. One even has some odd gangstah-rap on it. You probably wouldn't appreciate that one before hearing the regular albums and understanding where it all comes from :)

I like Aspera Heims Symfonia more than I like La Masquerade Infernale, and I have the original version of AHS.

I'm not saying that La Masquerade isn't a good album, but it's really hard to get into. IMO, the coolest song on the album is "The Chaos Path."

LMI is easily the best Arcturus. If you like Devil Doll, you'll love LMI. Aspera Hiems Symfonia sounds more like early Borknagar, and it's almost as good. The Sham Mirrors is definitely the worst.

Disguised Masters is also awesome. The remix of The Throne of Tragedy is even better than the original, but that's the only remix that's better... the rest are all amazing though. Definitely look out for this one. They aren't "electronica tinged" as electronica is a pure media term for music like Moby and Fatboy Slim. No, it has elements of hip hop, trip hop, dark ambient, and industrial.

Aspera first if you like melodic black metal . If you want a challenge try LMI .

FlatteningOfEmotions said:
I like Aspera Heims Symfonia more than I like La Masquerade Infernale, and I have the original version of AHS.

I'm not saying that La Masquerade isn't a good album, but it's really hard to get into. IMO, the coolest song on the album is "The Chaos Path."

Really good one , Ad Astra still tops for me

The original Apera Heims Symfonia is still my favorite Arcturus. I have the remastered version with Constelation on vinyl and IMO they took too much out of the original mix of Aspera.. but the bonus tracks are pretty interesting.

So my recommendation get the original Aspera CD. Either way, Garm's a genius.

-iz

I think the remaster of AHS is infinitely superior to the original. They improved upon it in every single way. Do NOT get the original if you can find the remaster as you'll just waste your money after you eventually buy the far superior remaster.

La Masquerade Infernale is easily the best Arcturus, with The Sham Mirrors being the worst.

(not counting Disguised Masters)