Are Mikael and the swedish metal community at the stadium tonight for Metallica ?

The reason why people hate Metallica isnt solely based on their material. They started out as long haired skateboarding kids hanging out writing metal because they loved it and overtime became one of the most greedy corrupt money hungry bands ever and pawns of the music industry . Heres how I see it:

Kill em All - Master of Puppets
The glory years. This was when these guys were fucking inspired. They cared about what they were doing and really felt like they could conquer the world. They didnt care about money, they just wanted to reach as many people as they could and have a good time doing it. They wanted to "fuck up the system" They had the perfect lineup and even opened up for Ozzy on tour with MOP. Things were looking good.

...and Justice for All
BAM !!! Cliff Burton gets killed in a tragic accident and the guys lose a bit of their spirit with him. Cliff was almost a mentor to the rest of the guys, he partied it up but he always seemed to be the most responsible one. He listened to classical music and just really considered music to be an artform. And Justice was almost like a tribute to the death of Cliff and Metallica's former self. They did what they did in the first 3 albums but did it to the extreme. Longer songs, heavier parts, and the most technical stuff they could come up with. They wanted to go out with a bang. Ironically Cliffs death was also apparent in that Cd because even though Jason was around you can barely hear any bass.

Black Album
The turning point. Metallica's artistic integrity died with Cliff but their desire to get their music heard was stronger than ever. They did whatever they had to to make sure that anyone and everyone had a chance to hear of Metallica. They wrote short radio friendly songs, two ballads, and released almost every song as a single right when grunge was starting to gain popularity. They went on tour and stayed there for 2 years straight. Uh Oh, bring in the money. The black album made Metallica what they are today. They went from a pretty popular and respected metal band like Opeth and turned into one of the biggest bands in the world through the corse of one album.

Loads- S&M/Garage Ink.
These guys were now on top. They were rolling in cash and liked that feeling. They decided to become a rock band, they cut their hair, wore eyeliner, and changed their entire image. Look at the pictures iside the Load booklet. They made videos like "Hero of the Day" and wrote songs like that horrible acoustic country one about his dead mother. Worse of all, they sued the people that got them there. They went to all that trouble with the black album to get popular and now they were turning their back on the people who just wanted to hear it. They had dollar signs in their eyes and greed in their hearts. They didnt give a shit about music. The music was just a tool for them to make more money. They did stupid projects like making a Cd entirely of covers and playing with an orchestra. They were running out of steem and that led to...

St. Anger
James decided it wasnt working. He went to rehab and the band was hualted for a while. When he came back they tried to gain back their old enthusiasm and show that they still had it and wernt just a bunch of old rich dudes who play guitar. They tried so hard in fact that it ruined the whole thing. They tried to make a point with the production making it sound raw and garage bandish, they tried to make longer songs, they tried to throw the heaviness back in, but its all fake. All I hear when I hear St. Anger is fake screaming out at me. They lost it when they sold their soul.

Thats why people hate Metallica. They are the perfect example of what the music industry will do if you let it. Itll suck you in and destroy everything you stand for and believe. They became what they hated. They are holding onto their past achievments and unfortunately that reputation will still have people buying what they make, even if their next few albums are St. Anger clones. The chances of them ever getting back that flame they started with are extremely unlikely.

Justice: The reason Jason can only be heard when he's singing, is because guitar wise, James wanted to mix the grandeur of Puppets with the rawness of Garage Days. So multiple rhythm tracks were laid down, and when they were mixing and mastering and all that crap, James' guitars ate up the lower frequencies. The two were always battling for the same space in the mix.
Beyond the sort of muted sound, I think AJFA is a great record, way better that Kill'em All and RTL.

The black album is largely shit, apart from the odd song. But just because I don't like it, I'm not gonna claim that they wrote the songs for the money, that was never their way. They wanted to write simpler stuff, because the complexity of AJFA got boring.

Load, I think they had the idea of doing that type of stuff for a long time, some of the riffs had been around on tape for a few years. They now had the financial stability to go nuts with those slightly alternative ideas.

Garage, Inc. Yes, they saw that they were losing money on the Garage Days bootlegs and stuff, so they wanted to gather all those various covers and b-sides on one disc. To add to the release, they decided to have some fun and record more covers. I'm so glad they did, I completely love that cd.

S&M: By rights, it should have been shit. But it just wasn't. It was one of the best performances of their career. They wanted to bring another dimension into some of their songs, and when the performance is so excellent (except for the odd song here and there), why not?

St. Anger.. I'm so tired of defending it. I'm tempted to say that it's excellent and fuck you. I could say that it's a statement, and should be taken as such, but that's not really how I feel. I fucking love it, the whole thing.

I listened through it every day for two-three months, and I think maybe I learned to love it because I worked at it. But I actually dug it from the first time I heard St. Anger on tv.
When I got the record, I put it in the stereo. I didn't even notice that it was so different from Fade To Black etc, y'know the classic songs for beginners. I had been listening to Frantic and St. Anger for a while before I got it.. It didn't really register very deeply in me that this was supposed to be a bad record.

There was a sense of fanboyism at first, I thought "It's Metallica, of course it's awesome!" So even if I argued with friends and foes alike over it's quality, I never bought into their arguments, because I knew the record was awesome (I wasn't telling myself this, I knew it from listening to the music).

In short: All those who dislike Metallica, Suck Cock by choice.
Thank you and Good night.

I could decimate every whiney argument you tried to achieve here but I won't because you will grow up and become wise and you'll realize by yourself how stupid are 99% of the things you've just said.

Respect The Cock Young Padawan.

Name one point that is stupid or wrong. I pretty much just gave you a complete timeline of their carreer, its all factual. I strongly doubt Ill realise Im wrong in the future. I used to be a Metallica fanboy in highschool. They got me into music and I hailed them as musical geniues'. I own everything they ever recorded, I own all their concert dvds, I own every documentary, rare bootlegs, the figurines, books, you name it I got it. Than something strange happened, I grew out of their music and realised there was better music out there from harder working bands, that their just a corporation thats sole purpose is to bring in revenue similar to Disney or Mcdonalds, and they were dicks who didnt deserve the attention.

I don't really give 2shits about what Lars did to Napster, Im glad in a way because he ruined all the spoiled greedy brats fun of raping artists of their works. Now if you are a true fan(always a fan) and not some band wagon poser, you would already have the albums because you payed for them. Regarding the later albums, Metallica unfortunately(for the metalheads) experimented with other kinds of music, they just wanted to try and fuck around with some different kinds of shit like blues and punk. Now they are getting back to metal finally, so Im fired up and ready for the next album/show. People don't realise much either that the best metal is made during youth, the fire is there in youth, the hunger is there in youth, the desire to write the best fastest craziest..im done..

MetallicA

-metal up your ass-

I have to say, as much as I don't like any of their stuff 90's+, how anyone can deny the awesomeness of Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All. Classic, essential metal albums...period.

I don't really give 2shits about what Lars did to Napster, Im glad in a way because he ruined all the spoiled greedy brats fun of raping artists of their works. Now if you are a true fan(always a fan) and not some band wagon poser, you would already have the albums because you payed for them.

If you don't want as many people as possible to hear your shit, for money or not, then you're not really an "artist".

There is so much opinion I want to get out because I truly love this band for all their achievements and faults and failures. I remember not to long ago when they were the biggest metal band on the planet. Even on their reload tour they sold out venues, and everyone in the crowd screamed every word to every song. Screamed so loud that it overpowered some parts of the music because being around all of their fellow metalliheads it lit a fire inside them and the whole place was a raging inferno of joy and love and aggression. I havent been to very many shows that even come close to that. Now its more trendy than ever to pick out anything negative about this band. I have to admit that I was starting to go along with this as well after St. Anger. I soon realized that I was just going along with everyone and I still love this band as much as I always have.
The Outlaw Torn is one of my favorite songs ever. Mama Said is a good song too I dont know why that Rocker0803 even mentioned it. Load is actually as of now in my top 3 fav. metallica albums of all time list. Puppets,Justice,Load

Well Ive been up Metallicas ass for long enough now time to do something else.

i hate all tallica albums.

but reload & load kicks fukkin ass! :puke:

:danceboy: :danceboy: :danceboy: :danceboy: :danceboy: :danceboy:

Metallica got me into metal along with Maiden. The first complete metalica record i heard was the garage days EP, NOT the re-released double album which cam later on with the motorhead classics / king diamond tracks etc.

I saw them play at wembley 2 weeks ago and they were fucking awesome. similar set list but didnt get ride the lightning which galls me a bit.

I stopped listening to them after the black album. Although i must say the mirror remains and leaf clover worked extremely well live at wembley.

I agree with the poster that said that its "trendy" to hate them. Fact is they influenced so many bands in the metal scene today...even death metal bands will say they were a major influence.

Name one point that is stupid or wrong.

It's funny how you ignored my post.

As for the Napster thing, Metallica did not sue because of Napster because they were giving away their music.
Metallica sued because Napster distributed a stolen and unfinished version of I Disappear to downloaders and radio stations, way before the band had finished with it.
Lars Ulrich said that they didn't mind people sharing their music, they just wanted the fans to hear the best they could put out there, instead of an unfinished demo.
The same reason SOAD released Steal This Album, Napster and whatnot were distributing demos from the Toxicity sessions, so SOAD finished the demos and released them as an album. A bit off topic, but still.

Whiney little western boys cried over the Napster issue because they know deep in their rotten heart that Metallica was right in every way (even if the issue for them was the stolen non finished song as pointed by another forumer) and they had the balls to say outloud what most artists say behind closed doors.

7 years later, the record industry is crumbling, Cd's days are numbered and revisionists still want us to believe that peer to peer has nothing to do with record sales.

Give me a fucking break !

And music elitists who refuse to go mad and sing their hearts out with 50 000 other people on Metallica classics don't know what they are missing.

Their loss.

Go back masturbate to the latest reinvention of the atom by the latest Ulver and Sunn00)). Kidding ...

I mean you can love both but Metallica live is just a force to be reckoned with even if Lars has today the level of a 12 years old student.

Jaymz can still command a stadium like no other.

Embrace diversity and respect

the cock !!!!

My problem, at the time, with Metallica and Napster was that I was booted for dl'ing stuff I already owned. I was getting stuff to listen to on my computer at work. Having been a fan for a while, my collection was on tape, not CD. I made a point not to DL anything I didn't already own.

Was what I was doing legal? I guess not. But it still pissed me off. It was the way it was done that made me mad at the time. I was younger and perhaps not as enlightened. It's ancient history for me now. But I still laugh when I think of Lars running up the walls complaining about people dl'ing his music on the "motherfucking interweb".... :)

Actually I have to agree that his voice was good to the end of the 90s. Maybe you have the dvd of the gig in San Diego? It is in 1992 but IMO his voice is awesome there. The bad thing about it is that his voice was made by alcohol, if you know what I mean, in this time. That's a reason for me why he couldn't sing so good after he stopped drinking. I dont really know how he sounds nowadays but I think he should be able to handle his not alcohol-influenced voice now.

Hehe, I'm with you if you wanna beat someone who says that Jaymz is a fuck. He had to go through many troublefull times and in the end you can say that he got through those very well.

Well, I got into Metal(lica) by the S&M record and I love each and every song which is played there. Only exception is "Hero of the Day".. I think it's the only song ny Metallica I don't like (Ok I don't like covers like "Now I wanna sniff some glue" either >.<).
The Outlaw of Torn is even one of my favs I'd say. I easpecially love Jaymz solo in the end of the song (Don't know, but I think it's only on the S&M record). It really sounds like it could have been made around the time of MoP. So it shows that Metallica is still able to do stuff like that.

For the new album they are making I gotta say: I hope that Rob has a big and goodinfluence on that record.. IMO he is able to make it.
- S&M is partly what got me into Metallica as well. It's way easier to get into when you have such variety, and it feels more epic and impressive with the orchestra.

- James does do the outro to The Outlaw Torn on Load. They cut it short by a minute because it made the album too long, but the complete version (10:48, whoa!) can be found on the Memory Remains single. It's just as awesome there, sounds very dark, though on S&M it reaches epic levels. It's immersive.

- I gotta tell you, I'm pretty hopeful about the new album. It's well known they're aware of the fact that St. Anger was just a statement and not really a planned, thought-out Metallica record, which gives me hope. Also, Rick Rubin's take on what they should be doing sounds just like what they need. It would also be really nice to see how Rob "goes with the drums".
It could be really, really good, this "sixth Metallica studio album".

hetfield is also a very creative lyricist, dont forget that. there are some great lines even in st anger...

"sweet amber...how sweet are you?...how sweet does it get?" =)
I agree on the lyrics comment. He can write about a lot of stuff, from war through emotions all the way to loss and search. I loved his lyrics on the Loads. Again, I must mention Where the Wild Things Are. I think I'm gonna paint this song one day. I have a pretty clear picture of it. Twisted stuff.

The reason why people hate Metallica isnt solely based on their material. They started out as long haired skateboarding kids hanging out writing metal because they loved it and overtime became one of the most greedy corrupt money hungry bands ever and pawns of the music industry . Heres how I see it:

Babble babble babble babble babble babble babble babble
Funny thing is, people began hating them when Ride the Lightning came out, just because of one masterpiece called Fade to Black. People would always find reasons to bash Metallica. When Master of Puppets came out, people were complaining they lost their "Mustaineness" and when Justice came out people were mad because they made a (really cool and thought-provoking) video for One. Wow. And Opeth made a nauseating video for The Grand Conjuration. So fucking what? That's just as stupid an excuse to hate a band as hairstyle. Hell, it's not out of the ordinary to see metal bands do videos today. Does anyone really complain about it? No fucking way. For all I care, Mike can wear cornrows and oversize cloths with basketball player numbers on them and ride a jumping car, and as long as his music appeals to me, I won't give a fuck.
I think it's that thrashers back in the day were upset because Metallica started growing up and maturing, but by the time Metallica got big enough to reach the masses, those immature, dumb opinions were so long "planted" that people just rode the train.

What you wrote about the Loads was just a pure reeking load of shit, no pun intended. You go ahead and tell me The Outlaw Torn, Thorn Within, The Cure, The House Jack Built, Bleeding Me, Carpe Diem Baby, Devil's Dance, Where the Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are radio-friendly songs. Those songs are enough material to turn off any pop-rock enthusiast and fail miserably. Damn, not only are some of those songs WAY too heavy for the mainstream, some of them are downright trippy-feeling. Sure, there were some catchy tunes there, but if you look at it, Master of Puppets is also a very catchy song. Had heavy metal been this popular back then, they would have made it just as big in 86.
Playing with an orchestra? Stupid? Are bands like Therion and Hollenthon stupid? They both use orchestras and are well-accepted bands. But when Metallica decides to do this, people, surprise surprise, use this as a reason to bash them.
People saying that Metallica wanted to make more money forget that when a band does a move like that, they more than everything risk being abandoned by their will-loyally-buy-any-fart-they-sound fans.
If they really wanted to make as much money as they could, they would have pulled an Iron Maiden and keep releasing live DVDs and albums and try to stick to the same formula that made them big. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Iron Maiden fan, but man, their music isn't a quarter as varied as Metallica's.

That's the greatness of Metallica. They know what they're doing, and they're the best at making people go nuts and spit "we do things our way" in their face. They twist themselves, they turn themselves, but they're always Metallica, with their ever-developing Metallica sound and their oh-so-awesome live performance.

They're indestructible. No matter what you throw their way, they'll manage to pull through it, as long as they don't lose any members.

I think Metallica is almost as much James Hetfield as Opeth is Mikael Åkerfelt... Otherwise I completely agree your last post.
Well, I think Hammett also contributed a lot to Metallica's stuff. I love his solos. and Lars is just as importance a presence in Metallica as Hetfield is. He contributes a LOT to song arrangements and creates a good friction with Hetfield that makes the music so good.

-

Funny thing is, people began hating them when Ride the Lightning came out, just because of one masterpiece called Fade to Black. People would always find reasons to bash Metallica. When Master of Puppets came out, people were complaining they lost their "Mustaineness" and when Justice came out people were mad because they made a (really cool and thought-provoking) video for One. Wow. And Opeth made a nauseating video for The Grand Conjuration. So fucking what? That's just as stupid an excuse to hate a band as hairstyle.

What you wrote about the Loads was just a pure reeking load of shit, no pun intended. You go ahead and tell me The Outlaw Torn, Thorn Within, The Cure, The House Jack Built, Bleeding Me, Carpe Diem Baby, Devil's Dance, Where the Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are radio-friendly songs. Those songs are enough material to turn off any pop-rock enthusiast and fail miserably.

Playing with an orchestra? Stupid? Are bands like Therion and Hollenthon stupid? They both use orchestras and are well-accepted bands. But when Metallica decides to do this, people, surprise surprise, use this as a reason to bash them.

People wrote Opeth off too when they wrote To Bid You Farewell. The difference with Opeth and Metallica is Opeth have never lost their integrity and to this day are still coming out with quality material. People act like Metallica are creative masterminds because theyve had so many changes, the truth is they changed their sound because they had no choice. Mustaine and Burton wrote most of the earlier stuff and once they ran out of their material Metallica had no choice to change sounds.
They liked country and blues so thats what the Loads were influenced by. Once they tried to get back to metal they couldnt, no matter how many Metallica fanboys insist that St. Anger is anything but shit. I never said the Loads were pop rock, I said they were rock as in rock and roll, there is a difference. They sure as hell arnt metal.
Sure I was upset when they sued their fans. They had enough money at the time to last a few peoples life times and their band was on top of the world. What did they care if some kid got a few songs for free. That same kid probably thought the music was cool, went to a show, bought a t shirt, introduced his friends to the band, and they bought a couple of their Cds. People probably still download their music and their still able to afford their giant ranches/mansions and expensive cars.
Integrating an orchestra as part of a bands sound is fine. Therion and Hollenthon have that in their music and it works great. Playing with an orchestra as a backdrop just to get some attention should be saved for over rated rock bands like Aerosmith and Kiss. Oh wait, I forgot, Metallica has become an over rated rock band, my mistake. To each their own, whatever floats your boat.