Arise and Purirfy

Gave it a listen, and it wasn't bad, but I really don't like Simone's singing, especially the vocal lines on the verses. Never have. The music is just... a lot of trying-too-hard, and those Gregorian chants really have lost all freshness and now only succeed in sounding tacky.

And don't even get me started on Nightwish, bah :p

Also...

There's also the rather egregious

In Union we Stand
As They
Race Across the Land
In Union we Make our Final Stand

I think Odleif Stensland went to the Jeff Waters School of Rhyming.
Can't really put that one on Odleif. It's an Overkill cover ;)

Gave it a listen, and it wasn't bad, but I really don't like Simone's singing, especially the vocal lines on the verses. Never have. The music is just... a lot of trying-too-hard, and those Gregorian chants really have lost all freshness and now only succeed in sounding tacky.

The problem is Mark Jansen. He's almost as bad as Loomis when it comes to trying too hard. He was pretty much the same way in After Forever, his previous band. Once Floor Jansen went solo and did ReVamp it was a completely different animal.

And don't even get me started on Nightwish, bah :p

:p on you. Their next album will be a monster now that they have a proper singer. Tarja was too opera and Anette was too weak. Floor is gonna kill. I'm just wondering how they will sound with the new drummer. Jukka had to step aside because he has chronic insomnia, which is no joke. It can kill you.

They hired a temp who is only there until Jukka gets better. I've always said if you change the drummer, you change the band. Need proof? Rush, The Who, Judas Priest, Slayer, A7X (like them or not, Rev was seriously talented), Motley Crue and Iron Maiden, just to start.

I'd come close to their Singer, if yaknowwhatimsaying

Sisi-simone-simons-10780085-500-485.jpg

Yes, and I agree with you.

Their next album will be a monster now that they have a proper singer. Tarja was too opera and Anette was too weak. Floor is gonna kill. I'm just wondering how they will sound with the new drummer. Jukka had to step aside because he has chronic insomnia, which is no joke. It can kill you.

I stopped paying attention to Nightwish after they grabbed Anette. Gave her a chance, but she was, as you said "weak". And holy shit...

I never had a problem with Tarja though. She's the entire reason I listened to the band. This version of "Ever Dream" is fucking powerful though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, I had no idea either until the Communic version was released.
Hmhm. Seems like I should lay the blame for that lyrical disgrace at Bobby Blitz' door then ^_^

I stopped paying attention to Nightwish after they grabbed Anette. Gave her a chance, but she was, as you said "weak". And holy shit...

I never had a problem with Tarja though. She's the entire reason I listened to the band. This version of "Ever Dream" is fucking powerful though.

Well, Floor clearly sings the shingles off the roof, even live, and that's great, but all this female fronted sympho metal, I dunno, still feels like Baby's First Metal Band to me.

Well, Floor clearly sings the shingles off the roof, even live, and that's great, but all this female fronted sympho metal, I dunno, still feels like Baby's First Metal Band to me.

We get it, you hate female vocalists that are not strictly for the chorus or some random duet. :Smokedev:

BTW, this is what you were referencing I think:

A lot of people have asked why Nightwish didn't pick her in 2006 after Tarja was booted, and Floor said she was in After Forever and happy there. Mark Jansen would split a few years later to form Epica.

"Ever Dream" is one of the Tarja-era songs that found their way back into the Nightwish set list when Floor joined. I saw them in LA when they kicked off the "Imaginaerum" tour and it was entirely material from the two albums Anette did. Then the Dutch amazon joins (she's 6' tall without heels. That is one big woman) and "Ever Dream" and "Ghost Love Score" suddenly return to the set list.

Tuomas once said the decision came down to two women and they picked Anette. I'd love to know who the other was but he will never say. Floor and Simone from Epica were not on the list. I know Amaranthe's cutie Elize Ryd DID try out but didn't make the cut. Probably because she was about 20 at the time, and she struggles with the high notes. Here's her demo.

Yes and you keep trying, to no avail, to convince me that I should like them. Stop trying to convince me and I'll stop saying I don't like it ;)

Female vocals. One of my favorite bands.

Yes and you keep trying, to no avail, to convince me that I should like them. Stop trying to convince me and I'll stop saying I don't like it ;)

I'm 100% with you on that. They may have beautiful voices, I don't dig the style of those female fronted bands, and that's all.

Ha. Once, long ago in the old Arch Enemy forum I got fucking slaughtered by members there for saying that I didn't like females involved in heavy metal unless it's as something that's been stated already, ie some sort of back up for harmony or chorus, or a random guest appearance. The femininity detracts a huge part from what metal should be. When metal bands hire a female to front them they cease being metal in a very specific but maybe hard to describe way. And when they hire females that sing in death metal vox, it's even worse. And when they hire attractive females that sing in death metal vox it's even worse than that. Sorry, just my .02 :)

Just so we're clear, I have no problem with female musicians in metal, and that includes vocalists. I do have a problem with the particular style of cheesy-sympho-metal-with-operatic-vocals-look-there's-a-girl-in-our-band-we-feature-her-prominently-on-the-cover-buy-our-albums-so-you-can-imagine-having-sex-with-her-which-she'll-totally-do-if-you-pretend-to-like-this-baby-shit.

Just so we're clear, I have no problem with female musicians in metal, and that includes vocalists. I do have a problem with the particular style of cheesy-sympho-metal-with-operatic-vocals-look-there's-a-girl-in-our-band-we-feature-her-prominently-on-the-cover-buy-our-albums-so-you-can-imagine-having-sex-with-her-which-she'll-totally-do-if-you-pretend-to-like-this-baby-shit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I agree with that, to a point. Anyway, I wasn't trying to convince you to like a specific kind of music. I asked you once to check out one song, that's all. And hell, I only really like Nightwish, and one Epica album. In almost every other instance, I can't typically get into the music of a female fronted band (no matter what metal genre it's supposed to be) unless it's just hard or alternative rock/grunge. It has absolutely nothing to do with the way they might look either.

I used to really dig this band...

Serious question: do you also dislike Rush? Because sooooo many people think Geddy Lee is a woman until told otherwise.