Arktide - Melodic Folk Metal from Atlanta, GA

CAlexanderParra

Nocturnal Dream
Jun 19, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
I hope you guys don't mind me promoting my band on here. I view the forum a lot but I hardly post here because I don't really have much to say. But anyways...

www.myspace.com/arktide (2 New tracks up!!)
We are Arktide, a Melodic Folk metal band base around the Atlanta, Ga metro area.
We are currently working on our debut album, which will hopefully be done and released by this winter. Here are some promotional videos from the album!

Note: All the clips are rough recordings of the tracks. None of the songs have been mixed yet.

(promo 1)

(promo 2)

Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are now my favorite local metal band. :) Canvas Solaris isn't local enough >_.

Let me know when you have a show.

Very good stuff -- can't wait for the full release! Be sure to send me or dcowboys311 a copy to play on WREKage. :kickass:

Which one are you in the pic, and what do you play?

We'll make sure of that! And I'm not in those pictures yet, We'll have to take new promo pics soon. But for the sake of being epic this is my temporary Arktide picture.

m_46f28ebc0df144d9b16580b3d9916cf3.jpg

:cool: Also I play both lead and rhythm guitar.

ahem. :Smug:

LOL - Alex, I had no idea you had joined Arktide. Last I talked to those guys, there were only two band members and they weren't ready for the stage. So I hope you know who to call when you're ready to debut.

:kickass:

Yeah! I actually had no idea how to go about telling you. Haha. But I figured a thread on here would grab your attention. :p
We have to figure out a few things regarding a session drummer and if all goes well we might be ready to debut by mid-fall. :headbang:
I'll let you know.

Two new tracks up on myspace!

Due to the fact that our album is taking quite a while to finish and that we won't be ready for a show this year, we decided to upload 2 rough tracks from the upcoming album. A completely new song "Panthalassa" and the re-recorded "Forever Lost in Time". Keep in mind that this are unfinished and unmixed recordings.
We just want to give you something to look forward too!

Enjoy!

www.myspace.com/arktide

just cant take folk metal from Atlanta serious. Sorry. That would be like a country western band from Africa. Just doesnt work. As a lover of the folk metal genre....it has been flooded with generic bands and rips offs and has staled the genre and kind of watered it down.

Your music isnt bad. Just been done to death a zillion times. In a genre filled with bands, you need to bring something more to the table to be noticed. In any genre this happens. Look how many power metal bands are out there.....prog bands....death metal bands. When listening to the tracks I knew where they were going before the song got there.

Sorry for the harsh review.....just feel strong about this genre.

Folk is music of the people, and can exist anywhere. So much of folk survived and was filtered and refiltered until it became generic country music. But I don't see why geographic location has anything to do with whether or not its 'legit' to be played. Play the music you love.

One thing I would like to see is for the 'folk metal' bands to do more of the improv that is an important part of folk music, especially celtic folk. In celtic folk you have a few key notes, and the general melody, but are free to embelish that melody, and as you loop through it, if you don't change it, it would get rather boring. Many of the celtic folk inspired bands I hear basically go for the most basic of folk melodies, with little creativity.

just cant take folk metal from Atlanta serious. Sorry. That would be like a country western band from Africa. Just doesnt work. As a lover of the folk metal genre....it has been flooded with generic bands and rips offs and has staled the genre and kind of watered it down.

"Don't you know there are RULES?? You can't go making folk metal bands all willy-nilly, you risk plunging the metalverse into utter chaos!"

to me it just lacks credibility. Seeing a bunch of kids in warpaint and swords in the forest and singing about stuff that they have no heritage in is kind of silly to me. Folk metal has very strong roots if you research and listen to the non-commercial folk metal stuff. sorry...just my two cents.

Your music isnt bad. Just been done to death a zillion times. In a genre filled with bands, you need to bring something more to the table to be noticed. In any genre this happens. Look how many power metal bands are out there.....prog bands....death metal bands. When listening to the tracks I knew where they were going before the song got there.

Sorry for the harsh review.....just feel strong about this genre.

I agree that the music here is nothing you wouldn't expect, sounding very close to bands like Ensiferum and Equilibrium, but I disagree with your assertion that "folk metal" from Atlanta can't be taken seriously. Then again, as a fan of traditional European folk music of various kinds, I don't get why this is even called folk metal in the first place. A band like Arkona I can see for the most part as being folk metal, even though its more like death/black metal with folk songs thrown in here and there.

I don't know, its all semantics and labels but that's what half of these discussions about metal and genres boil down to anyway, so you are left with the music. Is it any good? Obviously its derivative, but I think these guys show a lot of promise. Give them time to get past the hero-worship stage of making music (where many bands begin, after all) and you never know what they may come up with. Even on these rough recordings they seem to be pulling off the sound they are going for quite well, so they're halfway there. That's more than I can say for a lot of bands I have known, played with and seen.

I, for one, am glad to see a band of this sort starting up in Atlanta. They look pretty young and that's where the real push for this music has to come from. We need more people here going out on a limb to put out metal music and play shows, not less. That said, i hope these guys can find a worthy drummer, as that is the hardest part.

to me it just lacks credibility. Seeing a bunch of kids in warpaint and swords in the forest and singing about stuff that they have no heritage in is kind of silly to me. Folk metal has very strong roots if you research and listen to the non-commercial folk metal stuff. sorry...just my two cents.

They all look to be of European blood to me. Some of us Americans do place importance on our heritage beyond the mere 200 years this country has been around. Just saying...

But I do agree, that aspect is a bit corny. Then again, many of the European 'folk metal' bands do some pretty corny shit, too. Bear in mind these guys look pretty young, and are just getting started...