Art Thread

Premission to speak freely? (because its an art thread and a critique from your fellow boarders can be welcomed, right? :) )

I absolutely LOVE your zombies, all of them... BUT
I sometimes feel like the texture you apply to the faces/ skin looks "flat"
as though it was pasted onto the body: and not really a "zombie" skin..
Does that make sense?
The reason I reply with this now is because this picture above shows it in the best way: notice how the nose is still all round and perfect: but the texture is all rotten? on top of it? It doesn't match... it looks like the texture is being "projected" on a face instead a face that is textured...
I really love your textures... I think they're awesome. (and the zombies rule) but maybe if you add layer-masks to the nose and some parts on the skin so it will look "raised" deformed, and textured?
(Does that make sense Dan? I don't mean to offend!! really... just talking from one Adobe user to another)

<3

its just missing some shading or something. its almost there, but that bit of lacking takes away a lot from the realism. as you said, it looks like zombie texture projected on the face.

Premission to speak freely?
No need to ask for that. Every good artist can take criticism, it's what helps your skills grow.

I sometimes feel like the texture you apply to the faces/ skin looks "flat"
as though it was pasted onto the body: and not really a "zombie" skin..
Does that make sense?
It does, and I was thinking the same thing. It's a flat texture pasted onto a three-dimentional face. The texture doesn't bend with the shape of your face and it looks very unrealistic in that last picture.

I still say the zombie Dan did of me is one of his best works.

n503016874_479850_9348.jpg

Oh yes, I agree. I often don't use the distort function to " wrap " the texture around the faces etc.
And then sometimes I just get plain lazy and stop part way through LOL

I understand completely what you mean.

One of the things I try to work on is my longevity when working with the images. All of the stuff I've posted on DA have not taken me long at all ( 2 hours maybe? )
I see people who have 5-10 hours, even longer and I just can't and never could apply lots of hours. I work for a short time, done, time to move on.

Maybe if I work for a few hours a night for a week I'd be able to get more indepth.

<shrugs>

No need to ask for that. Every good artist can take criticism, it's what helps your skills grow.

Yup, no one is harder on me than ME. I'm my harshest critic. :cry:

One of my favorite teachers, Jack Farkas ( always did the Seinfeld gag when his name was mentioned ) on the first day of class told everyone that at some point your work will be called shit so don't be offended. He and I got along great. I miss Farkas. :lol: