Artifical room sound via 2nd recording

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
I just tried creating an artifical room sound, as I don't have/want to use more samples, and my drums are programmed and were sounding like it. So I sent the mix out thru some speakers in my garage, and then recorded that with a SM57 to pick up the 'room' sound. Did it twice (one speaker, left then right, then hardpanned the recordings).

Worked 'alright', although not as well as I liked. I wanted a really trashy sound (hence the garage) but I got a noisy (bad speakers) and thin, almost phasey sound. However, it DOES sound a lot more realistic, so if I can amend these problems I may do it for all the drums on the EP.

Will upload samples in a second, but if anyone has info that would help that'd be great.

edit:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/Artificial Room.mp3
Dry tracks -> Dry with mixed 'room' -> Room with no effects -> Dry tracks with reverb

Sorry for the bad quality mp3, forgot to change settings and I've deleted the .wav already. Should be good enough for this though.

Try to blend in the reverb with the room sound. Snare in particular usually always likes some plate reverb in addition to the room sound. And I suggest you just use mono room ambience, and if possible, try use (a large diaghpram) condenser mic, because that SM57 seems to give you a lot of hiss.