Artisits/bands with Orchid/MR/SL/MAYH sound

Fluxcored

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2007
First, I tried to use the search as best I could. Dug around for quite a few hours comparing bands in the discussion with their legal music demos. It seems rare to find darker themed music that is executed as well (I think it's the timeless sound of acoustic passages). Songs like "When", "Moonlapse Vertigo" set the bar so ridiculously high.

Everything that comes close seems to have rock-opera vocals (there really is nothing worse, imho) or some kind of contrived theme. Where are all the great "metal hippies"?

a lot of people will tell you to check out enslaved.

opeth is so unique it is hard to find a good "copy".

edit: i have found some (folky) simalarity with " Agalloch "

There really is no other band that has that Opeth sound it really is quite unique, all I can do though is name bands that you'll probably quite like and have a somewhat similar sound Opeth's. As said before Agalloch, also:

Disillusion's album 'Back To Times Of Splendor', Edge Of Sanity's albums 'Crimson' and 'Cirmson II', Farmakon, Dark Suns' album 'Swanlike', Maudlin Of The Wells' albums 'Bath' and 'Leaving Your Body Map', Memfis' 'The Wind-Up' (though this album is a bit metalcore), Enslaved (from 'Monumension' onwards), Novembre (though despite what people say the similarities aren't that obvious), Orphaned Land's 'Mabool', and When Day Descends' 'Transcend' album.

Another album that has some things in common with early Opeth is Ulver's 'Bergtatt', it also has a folky feel and the intertwined heavy/acoustic parts although it's leaning more towards black metal. The album is pretty essential anyway, as is it's successor 'Kveldssanger'.

actually i second that.
I'm starting to really appreciate some of enslaved's older cd's (blodhemm) Below the lights has been one of my favorites for a while, but their older music has a bit more depth than i heard in my first few listens.

^Exactly. If you like Opeth, it just means you like good music. They take influences from so many places which is why they don't specifically sound like anyone, aspects like riffs here and there sound like certain bands, but Opeth's music as a whole doesn't sound like any other band. There are a fair few good metal bands, and there are a few great ones, it just takes time to dig. The above mentions should send you in the right direction. When I started with Black Metal for example, I started with Dimmu Borgir, this was like 6 years back. After being over it, pretty quickly, I noticed the they were associated with Borknager which interested me more so, then I found Ulver... then things started getting a lot better. I then kept digging, and found bands like Negura Bunget, Deathspell Omega and Wittr for example.