As a "Professional" sound engineer do you pay Taxes??

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
As a "Professional" sound engineer do you pay Taxes??

Im just wondering how many of you (Other then Andy) are actually going the full legit way and making invoices out to your clients and paying taxes to the revenue (thats what we call it in ireland - i dont know about other countries) for your work - Or is everyone doing nixers? (i.e: cash in hand)

I'm by no means pro, but I still follow the legit-all-the-way -route. The last thing I want is trouble with the tax office, and if you're offering your services in public, I consider it professional and economical suicide to play dirty.

This.

Don't own a studio, but for insight purposes Mick, In the US we have what's known as the "IRS" (Internal Revenue Service). You don't fuck with the IRS (if you are caught, it's a federal crime in some cases leading to huge fines, and maybe even imprisonment).

I would say if I did own / operate a "commercial" studio - legit all the way. I don't need that kind of headache! :lol:

Don't own a studio, but for insight purposes Mick, In the US we have what's known as the "IRS" (Internal Revenue Service). You don't fuck with the IRS (if you are caught, it's a federal crime in some cases leading to huge fines, and maybe even imprisonment).

I would say if I did own / operate a "commercial" studio - legit all the way. I don't need that kind of headache! :lol:

IRS! ahh k i see! our one in ireland can be ruthless bastards if your caught but a lot of people try there best to avoid it. walk on the snow & dont leave footprints - i've noticed a lot of irish engineers certainly dont pay any taxes or anything - even in well listed famous irish studios i've been in in the past (which i shall not name because i aint a rat ) but yea - just wondering what the story was in other countries with studios & taxes. cheers for the replies dudes!

Chris_P_Critter - name is ross - not mick - look under my user name :p - mick has been my internet name for the past 8 - 9 years

I really don't understand the mentality of people who don't wanna pay taxes... in that case, you should be prepared to not take any part in anything the society has to offer you. You shouldn't whine when the roads are fucked up, you shouldn't whine when the hospital won't take you in, etc etc.

If everybody payed their fucking taxes, the country you live in would function so much better.

If everybody payed their fucking taxes, the country you live in would function so much better.

You should come to England dude, we get taxed 40% of our earnings above £40,000, and then of course they rip in a 17.5% so yeh potential of 57.5% tax here if you have a good job.

And then they spend the money on water fountains in our town centre. CUNTS!

And if you're in the countryside then you get no public services and the binmen keep on trying to invent new ways not to collect your rubbish.

IRS.jpg

You just don't fuck with I.R.S! :D

I have no qualms at all with paying taxes; it's obvious that in order for the country to function properly, there needs to be some degree and some type(s) of taxation to fund it. However, I think that taxing income is completely unnecessary. I realize that you dudes from outside the US are probably going to have very little interest in this, but I would encourage especially US dudes to check out this article. It's a good overview of why income taxation has no place in a free society, and how skewed our income taxation has become when compared to the original purpose it was created for:

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=182

Dude this is ENTIRELY off topic, but your user tag

FREEZE TAG ASSASSIN is fucking AWESOME.

You have my vote sir.:headbang:

HAHA! :lol: It's actually the name of a new music project I've started with some friends on the Reaper Forums. Never met these guys (but they're my bro's) - it's all online collab.

One song in: Steamroller! http://www.reverbnation.com/thefreezetagassassins I mixed and mastered this song, so if your ears start bleeding, sorry about that! ;)

I haven't gotten to post it here yet (I am forgetful... )

Enjoy, and sorry for the shameless OT plug. ;)

PS - Slash - you definitely DO NOT fuck with teh IRS. :lol:

And then they spend the money on water fountains in our town center. CUNTS!

Every government on the planet spends tax money on worthless shit. The hope is that it's not the majority of tax dollars :lol:.

I personally think everyone above "office manager" should have been fired at AIG and not payed one cent of tax payer money for the horse shit they pulled.

I have never paid Federal taxes, and the state only hit me one year, and my area has a 'local' yearly tax that I always have to pay (unless I'm deployed)

I never make enough, or all the money I get is untaxable anyway.... Won't be like that much longer though.

If your in the UK and "Producer" or "sound Engineer is down as your profession and you pay taxes, you can claim a lot of tax back on items you buy for your studio or food or travel that "may" be part of the production process...

eg Studio Equipment
Strings
Guitars
Food
Drink
Train to wherever to meet a band (and happen to go see <insert band name> while your there)

I don't consider my self a pro. I do sorta work with the public but I never advertise. Every "job" I get is via word of mouth, so technically I'm doing them a favour by engineering, and they do me the favour by paying me. ;)
I chose not to register my co. as business because I barely make enough money to pay off my loans never mind taxes.

It helps to have a lot guys on the inside. (not illegally of course)

i think you should keep it schtum until your making a constant wage really cause if the work and payments are few and far between then to be honest your making yourself some pocket money really...

i assume you have a day job of sorts???