How much would YOU pay to get your album mixed and mastered?

How much would YOU pay to get your album mixed and mastered?

• $0-500

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • $500-1000

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • $1000-1500

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • $1500-2000

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • $2000-3000

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • $3000-4000

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • $4000-5000

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • $5000+

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
I put 0-500 as it's off my own back, If I were in a band it'd be around 500-100 and then there'd be other members contributing too so we'd have a nice budget

It would be interesting to see how many dudes in bands contribute their own money to the band pursuits...I should make a poll, lol.

I couldn't imagine putting in my own 500-1K for an album, nor counting on the other guys to do it.

When we initially started the band, we each put it a modest 150 bucks to get started on things. we paid ourselves back when merch and CDs started selling and now everything we make as a band goes to the band account and everything for the band is funded 100% from the band account/income. Heck, I wouldn't be able to be in a band otherwise, haha!

I could see myself spending $3000 on mix/master/reamp if the rest of the band is on there too. Not too bad if you can split the costs & have at least somekind of realistic outlook to get at least somewhat even over time.
If there's even budged from previous stuff (gigs, merch, previous cd's...) then it could be even more if I really feel like the mix and master of this person is gonna take it up another level.
Just had to convince my band that it will be a LOT LOT better then if I would do the mix, elsewise they are more then happy with my work I think.

With all the time and passion that goes into keeping a band alive I think one should value his work and spend some money on it...considering how much goes into equipment and rehearsalspace then a share of a 3000$ budged for mixing and mastering what you have worked on so hard isn't that bad.
Usually you dont make an album every year, but maybe every other year and a bit...so that cost really doesnt look too bad if you break it up.

Calculate how much some metalheads spend on beer, cigarets and tats a year, suddenly the share for that kind of expensive stuff doesnt look too bad ;)

edit: wow a lot of "not too bad"s in there :lol:

I could see myself spending $3000 on mix/master/reamp if the rest of the band is on there too. Not too bad if you can split the costs & have at least somekind of realistic outlook to get at least somewhat even over time.
If there's even budged from previous stuff (gigs, merch, previous cd's...) then it could be even more if I really feel like the mix and master of this person is gonna take it up another level.
Just had to convince my band that it will be a LOT LOT better then if I would do the mix, elsewise they are more then happy with my work I think.

With all the time and passion that goes into keeping a band alive I think one should value his work and spend some money on it...considering how much goes into equipment and rehearsalspace then a share of a 3000$ budged for mixing and mastering what you have worked on so hard isn't that bad.
Usually you dont make an album every year, but maybe every other year and a bit...so that cost really doesnt look too bad if you break it up.

Calculate how much some metalheads spend on beer, cigarets and tats a year, suddenly the share for that kind of expensive stuff doesnt look too bad ;)

edit: wow a lot of "not too bad"s in there :lol:

Exactly. Many guitarists can easily spend $1500 on a new axe they don't necessarily need (myself included). Spending that amount on your band's album is already a pretty decent budget for a usual four-piece band.

"Not too bad if you can split the costs "

"what you have worked on so hard isn't that bad"

"cost really doesnt look too bad"

"for that kind of expensive stuff doesnt look too bad"

"a lot of "not too bad"s in there"

Yup :p

^^I'll throw another one - not too keen on those not too bad's :lol:

On another note, this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but for example the average salary in my country is like 200-250 euros (officially it's in 350-400 range, but they take politician's salaries into consideration too, so that's not real). So, to pay just mixing (and keep in mind that if you want to proper record your stuff it costs a lot) you would have to pay the amount which is equal to around 10 average salaries, which is pretty big. With all that in mind, it can explain why some people could find your rates too much for them, Jarkko ;)

I don't mean to sound like you don't deserve your rates of course!

^^I'll throw another one - not too keen on those not bad's :lol:

On another note, this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but for example the average salary in my country is like 200-250 euros (officially it's in 350-400 range, but they take politician's salaries into consideration too, so that's not real). So, to pay just mixing (and keep in mind that if you want to proper record your stuff it costs a lot) you would have to pay the amount which is equal to around 10 average salaries, which is pretty big. With all that in mind, it can explain why some people could find your rates too much for them, Jarkko ;)

I don't mean to sound like you don't deserve your rates of course!

Of course, I definitely understand that. But I think it's pretty much given that in this case the band will look for local professionals instead :)

To me the mix/master is where you really need to be ready to spend b/c corners cut here can render all previousness spending (and effort) worthless. I've come out of pocket above a label budget before to do things the way I wanted with who I wanted.

^^I should make it clear that I support that ofc (what my band's upcoming album, which will be mixed/mastered abroad (likely in 1500-2000$ range), will show).
Just meant to put another perspective on some things.

^^I should make it clear that I support that ofc (what my band's upcoming album, which will be mixed/mastered abroad (likely in 1500-2000$ range), will show).
Just meant to put another perspective on some things.

That's a rather interesting thing, actually. Considering your situation and the fact that you're willing to spend that much nonetheless, I could definitely believe it's easier for you to get a good deal from an engineer than the usual youngster band from the US (from example) who want a 50% discount just because they don't have any more budget at the moment. Especially if it's a potential band, I know I wouldn't mind figuring out a way to work together even if the budget would fall short.

Hey dude, when the time comes I'll speak with my friends, and we'll see :)

Here's an interesting info: Dan Swano rates are 45e per minute mixing (which includes mastering too), 10e per minute mastering, and he's pretty well known and has a rather impressive portfolio. So, I guess that he falls somewhere in the middle of all these categories. (source http://www.unisound.se/pricelist.txt )

If excluding the fact that I can pretty much mix all my stuff and I mainly only need mastering services, I would pay for the mastering what I pay now (~$50 per song). BUT in a hypothetical situation where I would want the CD to be mixed by someone else, it would have to be by someone I would really want (for example Karmila, Hiilesmaa, Staub). If the price range would be at $500-$1500 per track, I would go for it. For others, depending on their experience, reference tracks and turn over time, $200-$400 per track, because that is the minimum what I would work with too. And by track I mean something that averages less than 5 minutes.

If excluding the fact that I can pretty much mix all my stuff and I mainly only need mastering services, I would pay for the mastering what I pay now (~$50 per song). BUT in a hypothetical situation where I would want the CD to be mixed by someone else, it would have to be by someone I would really want (for example Karmila, Hiilesmaa, Staub). If the price range would be at $500-$1500 per track, I would go for it. For others, depending on their experience, reference tracks and turn over time, $200-$400 per track, because that is the minimum what I would work with too. And by track I mean something that averages less than 5 minutes.

Yes, excluding the fact, as was made very clear. A couple of times.

So your answer is anything from $2000 to $15000?

Hey dude, when the time comes I'll speak with my friends, and we'll see :)

Here's an interesting info: Dan Swano rates are 45e per minute mixing (which includes mastering too), 10e per minute mastering, and he's pretty well known and has a rather impressive portfolio. So, I guess that he falls somewhere in the middle of all these categories. (source http://www.unisound.se/pricelist.txt )

Thanks for the link, it's not often I see someone charging by program material minute!

Obviously it makes a huge difference who is mixing ... I brought up that exact point at the beginning of the thread but the whole point as I understood it afterwards was in dealing with pro-mid-level type AEs ... It was already said that when talking about the likes of a Sneap, Karmilla, Staub. etc... you wouldn't be the one paying, a label would

With my own band I'd have to say we'd likely go 2000-3000, maybe strech it past a little with the euro/dollar conversion rate. About 500-600e each per band member is the most I could see us being able to spend since we're all living on meagre enough means. With that, we'd have to track it ourselves as we just couldn't afford to spend another 1-2k on studio time recording it.

I see alot of bands that just aren't willing to spend the amount of cash engineers expect to make on an album. I recently quoted a guy for mixing and the rate blew his mind, he was thinking like 80euro for an 8 track album and what I quoted was a very low price since I know him.

Thing is I know ALOT of bands in Ireland through playing in a band/gig promotion/recording/live sound and only know of a handful of metal bands who would be willing to spend that much on an album. I know a good few alt rock, indie and more commercial styled acts that would see that as a reasonable amount for a release but not the metal bands.