What other audio related work do you do?

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Just curious as to what else you guys do to make ends meet other than recording bands?

I do a bit of live sound work at weekends but there's not much going other than low end £50 per night kinda wages, working with small PA hire companies or working at local venues.
I've thought about pimping myself out to bands that want a dedicated sound man, but really when these guys are making practically nothing, normally playing for free infact, it's hard to see how they could afford to pay me anything.

I remember seeing someone post about doing a bit of recording for films, but anything I find is always shitty tiny indie films that have a budget for a "famous actor" but nothing to pay the sound guys :bah:

Thinking about maybe getting into radio/broadcast stuff. But as with anything audio related it seems to be incredibly difficult to actually find the work in the first place!

Any other ideas guys?

Tour heaps and shift merch, record bands in off time, isnt really a super awesome living but beats working any other job. Lucky my partner is an academic :)

I work as a sound engineer assistant in National Radio Television, here in Serbia, and record bands (professionally since last year, although still not on a regular basis - it depends on my other commitments). :)

I assemble and test mixers, compressors, various types of parametric and graphic eqs, crossovers, dsp processors, commercial pagers, etc. It's a pretty fun job. I goof around with sound equipment and listen/dance to metal and drum n bass all day. Could be worse.

I run my own small project studio as much as I can during the week $50 an hour. I do live sound most weekends for $250 - $350 NZD a night and normally have 2 - 3 gigs a week. I also teach guitar in any spare time I have left.

Live sound at several venues, touring, live sound at a radio station.

Acoustic consultation & design for venues and studios

Those things plus graphic design and photography keep me pretty busy.