What do you Sneapsters do as day jobs?

Full time CEGEP student (here in Quebec we have those things, between high school and university, you gotta do a "pre-universitary" program), with the goal of getting admitted in Elementary School Teaching. Still looking for a part-time job outside of recording - recording bands only covers my car insurance and gas mileage...

I'm working at IKEA, mainly 87 hours(month) but this month and the next ones I work 160 hours...
And my social life is fucked up :zombie:

Seriously, I'm happy when I pull oneself together and clean my crib after work.
Retail sale sucks for solid working time...

But it pays my bills and I know how much money comes in at the first of every month.

80% Audio Engineer and 20% Security guard. Im actually fully booked to January so my hopes is that my studio will continue to get booked as the year progress so i can continue work at my studio as much as i do and finally quit my SecurityG. job. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

i feel you here :)

it's pretty awful but so widely used in big businesses that if you got some serious skills with SAP you don't have to worry much about unemployment i guess

SAP is one of those things that I'm pretty sure if there was a nuclear apocalypse tomorrow - SAP would still be around. We use it to track materials and equipment mostly. Luckily for the most part I don't have to deal with it very much.

The company I work for is the second largest (although probably most well known) oilfield services company on the planet. Everything is controlled through SAP, thought luckily most of it is behind the scenes.

Working full-time for a big cyber-security company. I was a fraud analyst for 3 years, and this week starting my new position as a Project Manager! Whoopy!

Uni student studying music tech for 3 years. No exams. First year is only 10 hours a week.

Its more to just say "i have a degree" kind of thing. My real goal after it is to open my own studio. Depending on the economy and yaddayaddayadda. Degree is just a security thing.

I'm surprised that a lot of the guys on here arnt working in studios or doing production related stuff. Do what makes you happy and you'll never work a day in your life!

Uni student studying music tech for 3 years. No exams. First year is only 10 hours a week.

Its more to just say "i have a degree" kind of thing. My real goal after it is to open my own studio. Depending on the economy and yaddayaddayadda. Degree is just a security thing.

I'm surprised that a lot of the guys on here arnt working in studios or doing production related stuff. Do what makes you happy and you'll never work a day in your life!

Unfortunately odds are you're gonna realize that degree ain't worth shit even as a security thing :lol:

To get most of your time in there, learn as much as you can and network like a motherfucker.

I don't mean a security thing, so I can fall back on it to get a job specifically in the musical field, as I know that's not the case in this business. Over here in the UK, most careers don't give a shit what you have a degree in, they just require "a degree" of whatever kind. When applying for jobs it's a one up from someone that doesn't have one.

It's a bit annoying but at least I'm doing something I enjoy :) I also get really cheap fees and lots of grants/bursaries as I'm a Welsh student going to a Welsh university. Gives me more time (and money!) to buy new gear if I do decide to take the big plundge and start my own "real" studio. Plus, my university course allows 24/7 access to their studio... And their is only 15 people on my course lol so at least now, I can offer the option of live drums to bands!

I'll be finishing my chemical engineering degree in November. Applied for a shitload of jobs. Hoping to land in the oil & gas industry, but I'd take mining as well if it came up. Most probably have a job lined up producing commercial grade mining explosives. BOOM.

I was a video games tester for 8 months in 2008. Literally did as much overtime as I possibly could and then spent all my money on gear. Didn't know a thing about recording when I started other than when I'd been in studios with previous bands. Slowly built up my knowledge, worked for free, worked with some producers, built my reputation/got my name around, then started getting paid reasonably for it, then people started asking to work with me and then it all kicked off... kind of a snowball effect really. This year has been really busy so I consider myself a full time producer. I owe a lot to a friend who's an amazing producer and has taught me more than you could learn in years of reading stuff on here and gearslutz.

(/life story)

Getting a little OT but working with other engineers/producers is very eye-opening and I learnt loads of invaluable stuff. Working with people is infinitely better than reading boards. The same stuff gets posted over and over and you start taking that as the standard rather than trying new things. This place is still full of great info though!

I'm a blood spatter expert in Miami during the day and run a small studio at night. I kill hipster clients that demand that I auto-tune their shit on pro-tools and act like they're experts on signal chains and side-chaining but refuse to record to a metronome.