As good as you remembered???

Sorrell

APT Guitarist/vocalist
Jan 3, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.myspace.com
This thread was inspired by my rediscovering one of my old favorite records from 1976.

Up until recently, I had been going through a period of not wanting to relive the past in any way. I didn't wanna hear any old music. I just wanted to move forward. But then, nostalgia reared it's ugly head.

After going back and buying all my old favorites, I have found that many were not as magical as I remembered. But, I'm not gonna talk about those.

"Silk Degrees" by Boz Scaggs. This is the record that inspired this thread. In '76, the record was my Sister's. I remember it being moved by the record. So, when I heard Boz playing those songs on "Greatest Hits Live", I was blown away all over again.

So, I bought the original disc and my selected faves from the live record (Itunes). Not only is it still great, but it's better than I remembered! Now, I hear more (musically) than I did when I was a kid. "Lido Shuffle" and "We're All Alone" have been cycling through my head for weeks now. The whole disc is phenominal.

Some of the others that REALLY stood the test of time were:

"EXTREME". The whole catalog. (It just doesn't get any better than this)

"TNT", Intuition. (just mind-blowing)

"MSG" Michael Schenker Group (still awesome)

"Alcatrazz" No Parole From Rock and Roll. (Graham Bonnet is a GAWD!)

"Night Ranger" Brad Gillis is still THE MAN!

"RUSH". From Fly By Night through Moving Pictures. This is why I do what I do.

All these records make me feel like a kid. I 'm still crazy about music. I wish I could make a living doin' it. C'est la vie.

Anyway...there ya go. How bout you?

SS

I revisit the past all the time. I refuse to ever let it go. From 1990 backwards (about 1976 to 1990) music just reminds me of some of the best times of my life. I still remember 1976 thru 1978 when Styx released Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion, and Pieces of Eight, Kansas released Masque, Left Overture and Point of Know Return, Rush released 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, The Alan Parsons Project released Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Edgar Alan Poe works), I Robot and Pyramids, and the Eagles released Hotel California. Is it possible that those three years produced some of the best music of our time? It was a ground breaking time for music because technology was findly finding its place, but not yet smothering music. For my favorite bands, those were their best releases. Great thread Rooster :headbang:

Being raised in a musical family, there was a mix of music from as far back as the Baroque to the latest hip-hop and soul jams, so I had a musical outlook of "you gotta look back to go forward". When I went to study music in college, history was viewed as a cornerstone to strong musical growth. The only drawback is I was never able to identify with the music from my youth as my music. There are a few albums, but for the most part I was the weird kid in the high school parking lot listening to Duke Ellington Live at Newport.

I revisit the past all the time. I refuse to ever let it go. From 1990 backwards (about 1976 to 1990) music just reminds me of some of the best times of my life. I still remember 1976 thru 1978 when Styx released Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion, and Pieces of Eight, Kansas released Masque, Left Overture and Point of Know Return, Rush released 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, The Alan Parsons Project released Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Edgar Alan Poe works), I Robot and Pyramids, and the Eagles released Hotel California. Is it possible that those three years produced some of the best music of our time? It was a ground breaking time for music because technology was findly finding its place, but not yet smothering music. For my favorite bands, those were their best releases. Great thread Rooster :headbang:

What a great era :kickass:when I have more time to delve into this from my vantage I will...

One that I forgot to mention:

Robben Ford "Talk To Your Daughter"
. I had this on cassette in 1988 and literally wore it out. I finally found it on disc about a month ago. It's still awesome!

He just played in Vallejo last month...and I missed it. :cry: I suck!

SS

Some fo the albums that really got me in the 70s and still play today are Yes - Relayer and Yes - Tales From Topographical Oceans, Yes - Going For The One, Queen - A Night At The Opera, Kansas - Masque, Kansas - Point of No Return, Rush - Hemispheres, Rush - 2112, Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather, Focus - Moving Waves, Journey - Infinity, AC-DC - Highway To Hell, ELO - New World Record, David Bowie - Station To Station, Styx - Grand Illusion, Genesis - Trick Of The Tail, Aerosmith Rocks, Aerosmith - Toy In The Attic, Aerosmith - Draw The Line, Uriah Heep - Sweet Freedom, Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple, Triumvirat - Sparticus

There are so many more but this was some great music.... And will always sound great to me...

One that I forgot to mention:

Robben Ford "Talk To Your Daughter"
. I had this on cassette in 1988 and literally wore it out. I finally found it on disc about a month ago. It's still awesome!

He just played in Vallejo last month...and I missed it. :cry: I suck!

SS

I had a friend who was really into Robben Ford... I remember hearing his bluesy side.. That's about all I remember, I was invited to go see him live once but that fizzled too.

Ahh one of my favorite 'as good as I remembered' stories was when I picked up Utopia's 'Utopia' cd not too long ago. I loved that cd in my late teens/early 20s, & was quite pleased to find that I still do; it's just sheer pop-py goodness courtesy of the ever talented Todd Rundgren..yay! :)

Hammer in My Heart (omg the video editing on this one is maddening..lol)
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=kZDZmc0Bgqk[/ame]

Feet Don't Fail Me Now
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=uyeC9mSWV-w[/ame]

Being raised in a musical family, there was a mix of music from as far back as the Baroque to the latest hip-hop and soul jams, so I had a musical outlook of "you gotta look back to go forward". When I went to study music in college, history was viewed as a cornerstone to strong musical growth. The only drawback is I was never able to identify with the music from my youth as my music. There are a few albums, but for the most part I was the weird kid in the high school parking lot listening to Duke Ellington Live at Newport.

In my house, we grew up listening to Elvis, Tom Jones, The Mamas and the Pappas etc.

It's cool to find out how much the music you hear as a kid, really stays with ya.

SS

Ahh one of my favorite 'as good as I remembered' stories was when I picked up Utopia's 'Utopia' cd not too long ago. I loved that cd in my late teens/early 20s, & was quite pleased to find that I still do; it's just sheer pop-py goodness courtesy of the ever talented Todd Rundgren..yay! :)

Hammer in My Heart (omg the video editing on this one is maddening..lol)

Feet Don't Fail Me Now

I love those tunes! I think those are the only 2 I ever heard by them.

Rungren in now the front man for "The New Cars". Their live album is phenomenal. Todd's voice is perfect to do both Orr's and Ocasek's songs. He is a bad-ass!

SS

Wow...I used to love this show....but, no, it's not as good as I remembered, LOL

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=33725341[/ame]

or this....

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=33725177[/ame]

How 'bout the music? Some genius decided that hillbilly banjo music was the perfect choice for a dinosaur show

Oh my....

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=33724749[/ame]

Well Koelling, 2 things have become obvious today:

1. We were stupid kids. I watched all that crap too! I knew it was bad, but I watched it anyway.

2. You've had too much time on your hands today. :lol: Just kiddin'. I get sucked into the video vortex daily. Youtube is an addiction.

SS

now you've got me thinking...

Oh my gawd! I used to watch Kimba. I had no idea I was so horribly lame as a kid. I really didn't remember it being THAT bad.

Tragic...

Oh yeah, JayMac...Teddy Ruxpin...really? :lol: We all have dark periods in our lives. At least we can air them out here, among friends who wouldn't laugh at us. :lol: :lol:

Yeah right. :lol:

Good stuff!

SS

Sad. It's just sad.

I watched every episode, and never knew just how shitty this really was.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufmiUR5at7Q&feature=related[/ame]

Ahh yes. Some childhood memories do still hold up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHKKCnxr45s&feature=related[/ame]

SS

LOL!!! Oh my God! I was a huge Winnie the Pooh fan....and that was great!

There was another one called "Pooh Goes Apeshit", in which Pooh goes crazy and kills everyone. The original cartoon version seems to be gone.

Here's a reading of the story by Don Geronimo (from Don and Mike).

"Pooh Goes Apeshit".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB_xvB1lvSU&feature=related[/ame]

SS