As I Lay Dying/Soilwork/Chimaira

Alcapoth

S t a r E
Apr 27, 2002
ON, Canada
Visit site
Yep, I gotta admit that it was hard for me to get into these guys especially when I'm like the BIGGEST Opeth listener, but my buddies are so into these guys that we ALL went to the show, where they ALL performed - Chimaira headlinging the whole thing.

I gave it a chance, even if they still don't really care to listen to stuff like Opeth, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree or anything else that I'm more into.

But anyhow, the show was pretty good. Filled with ALOT of energy and one of the biggest pits I've seen during the Chimaira show, with their heavy use of intense percussion/bass beats that sounded like a heard of wildebeasts or something. Quite cool. Sure, it was a great time, but musically the bands weren't anything special to me. Some great stuff here and there, but I don't think I'd buy their cd's at the price they go at around here.

As I Lay Dying had a pretty nice performance - they were first up. Dude had some great vocals and it's by far one of the heaviest christian bands I have seen. We actually were lucky enough to talk to these guys for a good 20-30 minutes - aye - I couldn't help feeling like a bunch oftotal fanboys or something, but of course they were SO into the guys it couldn't have been helped. Heck, we even got a photo with them. In the end, they were a cool group of guys.

Soilwork was alright as well...played stuff off their new album Figure Number Five, including the title track (obviously) and some stuff from Natural Born Chaos...As You Speak, I believe. Anyway, the guys don't appeal to me that much, but they had a pretty good performance.

In the end, it was a cool time. Nothing spectacular to me, but the music was still listenable I guess.

What are others' thoughts on these bands? Anyone else go see the tour?