ASG - a new take on 'doom'

Aug 14, 2008
Being extremely burnt out on all of these Saint Vitus or Sleep cover bands that have been coming out lately over the last few years, I almost exclusively stay away from 'doom' unless it's on the Swallow the Sun/Katatonia side of things (or as Jasonic likes to call it, 'dark metal').

in my opinion, not only is this a super fresh take on the genre, but the vocals are super well done and I think this band would go over really well on this board. Their singer reminds me Jon Anderson after a few packs of cigarettes and Black Sabbath albums. While I wouldn't call this 'prog' by any stretch of the imagination, it definitely seems inspired by bands like Pink Floyd and Yes at times.

tl;dr 'doom' that actually does something new and refreshing, might appeal to alot of prog rock fans - or 70's rock fans in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was certainly interesting.
This is something where I think I would need to hear the full album to really absorb.
Sounds promising. Very commercial, esp vocally, but its a nice contrast musically to what's going on behind it.

No, this is definitely NOT dark metal!!!!!! :)

Yeah apparently they have a few and they go back to 2001. Pretty weird, I guess they never stuck until now because there's a ton of hype on them lately.

Their early ones were on VOLCOM.
Isnt that a skater clothing label???
I remember a few years back they sponsored a Motorhead / Misfits tour.
Seems like they must have a label too.

Only bands on that label I know of are Torche and Valient Thorr. I think they used to have a lot of punk bands though in the early 2000's.