What's your take on the next Maryland Deathfest?

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it be worth the trip (assuming you could financially do it)? Quality of bands? Or your familiarity with the lineup?

I just honestly can't think of any reason extreme metal fans wouldn't be pleased with this. Inquisition. Lock Up. Exhumed. Tragedy. Cathedral. Buzzoven. Destroyer 666. Doom. Just pure awesome.

Outside of a handful of bands, none of the rest of the lineup interests me and there's a lot more bands on that list that don't than do. Simple as that. Like I said if it was near me, it would be one thing, but it truly takes an amazing lineup for me to travel a distance to go to, i.e. progpower. I also wouldn't classify myself as an extreme metal fan completely. I do like a number of extreme metal bands, but it's one of my least favorite genres. I much rather prefer classic, power, prog and doom.

I was gonna say the same thing. For extreme fans, this is a great lineup. I think Simon maybe isn't familiar with the lineup in general?

Sort of yes, sort of no. There are bands I'm unfamiliar with, but there also are bands I am familiar with who I honestly just don't like. Like I said in the previous post, I'm not a big extreme metal fan. Sure, I like it but it's not one of my favorite genres. But...considering the name of the fest, obviously I am not the fan they're going after, so that's cool. All in all, I'm just saying it wouldn't be something that would be worth the drive or flight for me as I outlined more in the post above.

I have to admit that I have criminally not really listened to a whole lot of Nuclear Assault, really. I know they have some classic material, but I guess I just have 'procrastinated' listening to them. I shall have to rectify that before seeing them.

I have to admit that I have criminally not really listened to a whole lot of Nuclear Assault, really. I know they have some classic material, but I guess I just have 'procrastinated' listening to them. I shall have to rectify that before seeing them.

:OMG::OMG:

One of the greatest thrash bands out there. Dont get the newer stuff though. Go for thier first 4 disc. Amazing stuff.

Also: just looked this up...didn't know WHO Lock Up were. Holy fuck...I bet this is some good shit (will find out soon, hehe).

Duuuude. You didn't know?? From what I remember from interviews it was Nick Barker wanting to resurrect Terrorizer.

I'll check them out at the fest, and think what a shame that Jesse Pintado's not around for it. I'm sure it'll still be good. I read they recruited someone to fill Jesse's shoes, don't know anything about him though.

SURVIVE.

Get it. Get it NOW.

Then get The Plague.
Then Handle With Care and Game Over.

Don't bother with anything after Handle With Care.

SURVIVE.

Get it. Get it NOW.

Then get The Plague.
Then Handle With Care and Game Over.

Don't bother with anything after Handle With Care.

exactly.

Nuclear Assault are also a great live band. When I saw them at the Milwaukee Metalfest they invited fans to come up on stage during a few songs to sing along. It was funny...there was people lined up all going up there and stuff.

Yep, Tagtgren left the band years ago. Lindberg's been handling the vocals since their 2002 record. Such a killer band! Get 'Hate Breeds Suffering' NOW.

Not really a fan of Neurosis, but I like Coroner and Voivod. I'll admit, I'm a little surprised that at Maryland DEATHfest, there's not a Death Metal headliner to be found.

In total, there's only about 10 bands on the lineup that I actually WANT to see, but there's a larger number of bands I'd be interested in checking out while at the show.

But, either way, my biggest draw is Impaled Nazarene. I'd been saying for a few years that if they were to ever play the States, I'd be there no matter what. However, I'm not sure it's really an option financially for me this year, especially if I want to try and make ProgPower. Unless something changes, I'll probably be passing this up.

Two questions...

Is the line up finalized or will more bands be added?
When will they nail down the running order?

They have stated that the line up is finalized. I would guess that they won't add any more bands unless other bands start to drop off (visa issues, breaking up, etc...).

The running order will probably be announced in April. They currently have the bands broken down by the days they are performing. The headliners usually will be on the 2 outdoor stages for Friday-Sunday. The outdoor stages usually run ~3:00pm-11:00pm. After 11pm, the indoor stage is the only one going. That stage runs ~12:30pm - 2:00am during the festival.

Thursday, May 26th:
CATHEDRAL
TRAGEDY
BUZZOV*EN
EXTORTION
LACK OF INTEREST
FLESH PARADE
MIASMAL
WITCHAVEN
NOISEAR
SHITSTORM

Friday, May 27th:
NEUROSIS
CORROSION OF CONFORMITY
EXHUMED
AURA NOIR
MARDUK
GOATSNAKE
KYLESA
MACHETAZO
FUNEBRARUM
NOCTURNAL
HATRED SURGE
NAILS
PULLING TEETH

Saturday, May 28th:
VOIVOD
EXHORDER
DOOM
IMPALED NAZARENE
DESTROYER 666
HAIL OF BULLETS
INQUISITION
HOODED MENACE
DROPDEAD
CIANIDE
ACID WITCH
AVULSED
BLOOD FREAK
DEVOURMENT
THE KILL
CRETIN
DEFEATED SANITY
MAMMOTH GRINDER
CREATIVE WASTE
INNUMERABLE FORMS
MASAKARI

Sunday, May 29th:
CORONER
NUCLEAR ASSAULT
DEATH BREATH
LOCK UP
ORANGE GOBLIN
REPUGNANT
CITIZENS ARREST
DEAD CONGREGATION
REGURGITATE
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY
WORMED
CRIPPLE BASTARDS
MALIGNANT TUMOUR
NOKTURNEL
GRAVEHILL
NIGHTBRINGER
BAD ACID TRIP
OAK
VISVERAL DISGORGE

Thanks for the Nuclear Assault recs, guys. I have listened to them, just not regularly...mostly through Youtube clips, etc. I will look into owning some of their stuff before the fest. Doesn't look like that's likely for the Survive album though, as it's out of print on CD. :(

Wow, I didn't catch the first time that Goatsnake is on this shindig. Damn.

As far as non-death metal headliners?

Are there power metal or prog metal headliners scheduled for Prog Power next year? It's about balance and stretching out to a new audience to gain new customers.