What's your take on the next Maryland Deathfest?

Also, Zod, what do you mean by gateway grindcore bands? You mean bands that newcomers to the genre typically get into? I'd recommend Napalm Death, Repulsion, Terrorizer, and Brutal Truth.

Also, if you check out Terrorizer, be sure you start with World Downfall.

For gateway-grind Napalm Death material I'd say go with Death By Manipulation (features great re-recordings of their older grind material before they delved into death metal territory)

Also,
Nasum - Shift
Regurgitate - Carnivorous Erection, Deviant
General Surgery - Left Hand Pathology
Haemorrhage - Apology For Pathology

After last 2 years, which had some of the sickest lineups I have ever seen put together, I'm disappointed in this year's. I was actually going to go to this, but I'm not sure. Exhorder, Lock Up, Doom, Hail Of Bullets and Coroner would be killer to see, but I was hoping they added more "relevant" bands like last year (Converge, Gorguts, Portal, Trap Them, Magrudergrind, Tombs, Fuck The Facts) on top of super rare exclusive performances (Nirvana 2002, Coffins, Autopsy). Alot of these bands playing this year like Nuclear Assault and Voivod are so past their prime it wouldn't be fun to see anymore. I also think Neurosis is good, but horribly overrated.

It's a very solid lineup, so I'm not necessarily bitching, but last 2 years' lineups were soooooo good that really the only way to top it would be to have Darkthrone and Edge Of Sanity headline this year. Hahahaha. They'll have to book Kvelertak or something to make me head out for 2011.

After last 2 years, which had some of the sickest lineups I have ever seen put together, I'm disappointed in this year's. I was actually going to go to this, but I'm not sure. Exhorder, Lock Up, Doom, Hail Of Bullets and Coroner would be killer to see, but I was hoping they added more "relevant" bands like last year (Converge, Gorguts, Portal, Trap Them, Magrudergrind, Tombs, Fuck The Facts) on top of super rare exclusive performances (Nirvana 2002, Coffins, Autopsy). Alot of these bands playing this year like Nuclear Assault and Voivod are so past their prime it wouldn't be fun to see anymore. I also think Neurosis is good, but horribly overrated.

It's a very solid lineup, so I'm not necessarily bitching, but last 2 years' lineups were soooooo good that really the only way to top it would be to have Darkthrone and Edge Of Sanity headline this year. Hahahaha. They'll have to book Kvelertak or something to make me head out for 2011.

VoiVod and Nuclear Assault both put on great live shows still.

Saw Voivod last spring and it was pretty embarrassing. Heard that Nuclear Assault sucked at the last MDF they played at (I think 06). On top of that, these bands' later albums have been absolute garbage so minus points for me wanting to see them again. Just imo anyways.

Yeah I heard that Nuclear Assault was awful last MDF. Haven't seen Voivod but I haven't heard flattering things about their shows recently.

I think this year is filled with relevant bands and exclusive performances...Dead Congregation's US debut, Repugnant's US debut, Pulling Teeth plays maybe 5 shows a year these days, not sure if Doom's ever made it over here, Tragedy never plays anymore, Lock Up's US debut, Citizens Arrest reunion (Ted Leo's 80's hc band)....the list goes on and on. I actually think this year's lineup has much more exclusivity than past years.

Wouldn't see me complaining to add Autopsy and Portal again, though. Killer sets.

Yeah I heard that Nuclear Assault was awful last MDF. Haven't seen Voivod but I haven't heard flattering things about their shows recently.

I think this year is filled with relevant bands and exclusive performances...Dead Congregation's US debut, Repugnant's US debut, Pulling Teeth plays maybe 5 shows a year these days, not sure if Doom's ever made it over here, Tragedy never plays anymore, Lock Up's US debut, Citizens Arrest reunion (Ted Leo's 80's hc band)....the list goes on and on. I actually think this year's lineup has much more exclusivity than past years.

Wouldn't see me complaining to add Autopsy and Portal again, though. Killer sets.

damn, so that is the original Citizen's Arrest. CA, Born Against, Rorschach and all the other great East Coast punk / grind / core bands were great back in the day. I was shocked when my brother told me about Ted Leo and that he was in Citizens Arrest. That whole ABC-No-Rio scene had some great bands.

Ahh true that. I think I'm just bummed seeing that once good bands who now suck (Voivod, Nuclear Assault, D666) and always sucky bands (Marduk, Impaled Nazarene, Cathedral, Kylesa) are playing. But Dead Congregation, Doom, Coroner, HoB, Pulling Teeth, Exhorder, Exhumed, Death Breath, Lock Up, Goatsnake, Nails, Defeated Sanity, Devourment, Blood Freak, Wormed, etc WOULD be fun for sure. I guess I'll wait and see if they book 2-3 more "must see" bands before I decide on going for sure. I also heard that it's a fun time regardless on who's playing so yeah.

I've always been surprised they don't have more Black Metal. There seems to be the same relationship between Death & Black that there is between Prog & Power. In addition, it seems like an untapped market, as there isn't a Black Metal festival here int he U.S. Finally, it seems Black Metal is the more popular of the two genres, and would likely help them increase their gate. Regardless, adding BM bands to the card seems like a much more natural expansion than Corrosion of Conformity.

I agree with your first sentence and disagree with the last sentence. Diversity rules no matter how many ways you slice it. MDF was never a death metal festival -- look at all the grind, hardcore, and crust that has played there over the years. I do think they should add more BM though! And when they do add BM, more bands like Wolves In The Throne Room and Sigh and less Mayhem, Marduk, Watain, etc.

Ahh true that. I think I'm just bummed seeing that once good bands who now suck (Voivod, Nuclear Assault, D666) and always sucky bands (Marduk, Impaled Nazarene, Cathedral, Kylesa) are playing. But Dead Congregation, Doom, Coroner, HoB, Pulling Teeth, Exhorder, Exhumed, Death Breath, Lock Up, Goatsnake, Nails, Defeated Sanity, Devourment, Blood Freak, Wormed, etc WOULD be fun for sure. I guess I'll wait and see if they book 2-3 more "must see" bands before I decide on going for sure. I also heard that it's a fun time regardless on who's playing so yeah.

I missed the message that Destroyer 666 now sucks. I saw them in Kansas City on the tour they did with Enthroned. They were fucking AWESOME. New CD isn't my favorite, but it's no slacker.

Also, Marduk, Impaled Nazarene, and Cathedral are bands that have ALWAYS sucked? Damn, dude. I have to whole heartedly disagree. All are bands with many albums. Not all those albums are amazing. But each of those three bands have more than one album that are masterpieces in their respective genres, in my opinion.

I missed the message that Destroyer 666 now sucks. I saw them in Kansas City on the tour they did with Enthroned. They were fucking AWESOME. New CD isn't my favorite, but it's no slacker.

Also, Marduk, Impaled Nazarene, and Cathedral are bands that have ALWAYS sucked? Damn, dude. I have to whole heartedly disagree. All are bands with many albums. Not all those albums are amazing. But each of those three bands have more than one album that are masterpieces in their respective genres, in my opinion.

Your opinion is my opinion. Saw both D666 and Marduk this year and they both were great.
And to say Cathedral always sucked just makes me cringe (and chuckle at the same time).

All sources that I've heard from say that Neurosis, Cathedral, and Voivod are great live.

The doom on this lineup is very diverse too. Although, I wish that there was a funeral doom band like Skepticism or Evoken.