Ask Mikael

I gotta ask, why are metal fans such jackholes? I remember seeing on lambgoat.com a while ago the announcement of the breakup of another of my favorite bands. The comments on the post immediately fill up with dozens of unsubstantiated insults. Why do people go to the effort of posting crap?

I've got no problem with negative opinions. I understand people have different tastes, and to some people it is an insult that things that they don't like even exist. Seriously, troll with some class. This is the best they can do:

"Will the new album be a continuation of “Fiction” or will it be another step in DT’s supposed evolution?" Supposed? For a band that has repeatedly made major shifts, this comment is just retarded. No basis in reality.

"or… When will you stop making the exact same album over and over again. p.s. The Gallery is good, do that again." Um, what? I repeat the objection above, and: You don't want them to be consistent, but you do want them to repeat an earlier album?

"Is it difficult to know that because of other bands ripping off your style, your own music in a genre you helped pioneer now sounds relatively generic?" Find me these other bands right now. I needs must listen. Or does this guy not know what DT sounds like?

"How do you feel that one of the worst bands ever, The Devil Wears Prada, has a better spot than you on this upcoming tour?" Maybe this guy doesn't realize that professional musicians, especially classy ones like those from Swedeland don't make a point of publicly flaming other musicians. Mikael gave a crowd-pleasing shout-out to both bands the other night.

"Are you aware that the modern gothenburg sound defiles real-old school melodic death metal?" What does this even mean?

"Are you aware that you made melodic death metal look like metalcore shit?" What?

"Hello mikael, are you faithful ?" Are you drinking on the internet again?

"and have you straight orientation ?" Yes, yes you are.

On a more serious note, I would like to take a crack at answering one, because I facepalmed when I solved this particular dilemma years ago.

"What does the TNB stand for in the song Derivation TNB? In America, it is sort of a racist acronym so im sure you guys have a better use for those letters. I was thinking The New Build, but it comes at the end of Through Smudged Lenses…"

The TNB that the poster references is "typical n- behavior", which I have never heard before. It does, as he posits, stand for The New Build. I also missed the reason because I did not have the EP and the clip on Character is attached to a different song. The melody in Derivation TNB at 0:54 is the riff in The New Build at 0:40. In TNB-proper it's shred-style, but the clean notes clearly play what is more protracted in Derivation.

"What does the TNB stand for in the song Derivation TNB? In America, it is sort of a racist acronym so im sure you guys have a better use for those letters. I was thinking The New Build, but it comes at the end of Through Smudged Lenses…"

The TNB that the poster references is "typical n- behavior", which I have never heard before. It does, as he posits, stand for The New Build. I also missed the reason because I did not have the EP and the clip on Character is attached to a different song. The melody in Derivation TNB at 0:54 is the riff in The New Build at 0:40. In TNB-proper it's shred-style, but the clean notes clearly play what is more protracted in Derivation.

Exactly! I thought it would be obvious to everyone, especially considering that the title is a dead giveaway, but apparantly a lot of people don't recognize the clean melody as the "The new build" riff.

Well, I never heard Derivation in it's full form, having not owned the EP. It's attached to a different song on the album, so I never really thought about it in that context. That said, associating the name and the melody from the full track on the EP made it obvious.

Part of me thinks that you should sit down and take every riff like the one in The New Build, with the fast shredding, and just stretch the melody. One thing that I love is how a melody that most artists would use as the theme for an entire song becomes a small piece of a much larger work. That's an example of the tremendous amount of magic hidden in the songs! :heh: I think hearing the riff in the style of Derivation has helped me to re-imagine, in my head, of lot of melodies in your music.

Exactly! I thought it would be obvious to everyone, especially considering that the title is a dead giveaway, but apparantly a lot of people don't recognize the clean melody as the "The new build" riff.

At first I didn't, but then I got the album and discovered whence TNB came :p .

Well, I never heard Derivation in it's full form, having not owned the EP. It's attached to a different song on the album, so I never really thought about it in that context. That said, associating the name and the melody from the full track on the EP made it obvious.

Part of me thinks that you should sit down and take every riff like the one in The New Build, with the fast shredding, and just stretch the melody. One thing that I love is how a melody that most artists would use as the theme for an entire song becomes a small piece of a much larger work. That's an example of the tremendous amount of magic hidden in the songs! :heh: I think hearing the riff in the style of Derivation has helped me to re-imagine, in my head, of lot of melodies in your music.

Yeah, Derivation TNB is a very different song. I was listening to it the other day ('Hey I haven't heard that EP in ages', thought I) and was surprised by how different it sounds. The guitars are in a much higher tone than usual.

Well I think the reason is that most metalheads don't really go beyond the average band that doesn't try anything new (say Slayer), and nowadays most kids think that Between the Buried and Me is the greatest band in the world. I guess most metalheads never get past the 'metal is the greatest and only' musical genre in the world!?!?! I'm so trve!!! :headbang:

:rolleyes:

The thing with metalheads is that they do think that talking bullshit is cool. I got tired of reading posts (Blabbermouth is full of this kind of crap) of guys (I say "guys" because I think this is mostly a youth issue... mostly, not entirely) saying "Yeah, that record is shit" or "That band really sucks" and they end up telling that they didn´t even listen to it. So, I kind of developed a "self defence" system against this kind of "trollish" posts, I don´t even take the time to get mad at them.

I gotta ask, why are metal fans such jackholes? I remember seeing on lambgoat.com a while ago the announcement of the breakup of another of my favorite bands. The comments on the post immediately fill up with dozens of unsubstantiated insults. Why do people go to the effort of posting crap?

I've noticed that most metal fans are kind and intelligent. The people making those ridiculous comments are high schoolers who discovered death metal yesterday. They'll either grow into respectable metalheads, or they'll forget about metal in a year.

Mikael said:
My personal favourite bands are Rush, Depeche Mode, Atheist, Jeff Buckley, Jörn Lande, Journey, Death, Genesis, Morbid Angel and thousands more.

We're still waiting for the 'Walking in My Shoes' cover! :) That's a song that would really fit D.T., not only because of the music but also (and mainly) due to the lyrics.

Pretty nice interview, very funny I say, especially the Taco Bell part har har.

I didn't know about Solution .45 before, will check them out.

Oh and thank you for posting the link Zach.Zhang!