Asking the Board for Help

Apr 3, 2004
Nashville, TN
Hello All,

I just won a bet with my fiance and she owes me a cd. I am torn between a few cd's and I want the board's help. Please let me know which cd I should Choose and why. I have never heard music from any of these bands besides some sample clips. So your help will be much appreciated. I am a sucker for good vocals, plenty of melody, crystal production and great lead guitar solos. The Cd's are

Tarot - Crows Fly Black
Firewind - Allegiance
Heavenly - Dust to Dust

Thanks for your help.

Choose what would otherwise cost you the most ;)

I love the new Tarot CD.
I haven't listened much to the Firewind CD but so far I like it.
Haven't heard the heavenly CD at all.

Heavenly= speedy
Tarot= crunchy
Firewind= what you are looking for.

I haven't heard the new FIREWIND, is it really that good??? The only song i have heard is the one posted in the audio section. In your opinion Glenn is it worth adding to my Christmas CD list?

My list so far:

SPEAKING TO STONES
COLDSEED
SPHERE OF SOULS
MECHANICAL POET
ASHENT
TOMORROW'S EVE(Mirror of Creation 1)

I haven't heard the new FIREWIND, is it really that good??? quote]

I think it is, but I think it fits his criteria the most. Apollo's vocals are by far better than the other two. Gus's solos are by far better than the other two. All are melodic so it becomes a matter of music preference: crunchy vs speedy vs the big melodic hook.

I haven't heard the new FIREWIND, is it really that good???

I think it is, but I think it fits his criteria the most. Apollo's vocals are by far better than the other two. Gus's solos are by far better than the other two. All are melodic so it becomes a matter of music preference: crunchy vs speedy vs the big melodic hook.

I agree on all counts except the vocals, Tarot are vastly superior in that department. Still, Allegiance is probably the disc you will enjoy the most.

I love Tarot. I love Marco. I actually like the Tarot disc better for my tastes than Firewind. However, vastly superior vocals? :rolleyes:

If you strip away the music and both guys sang acapella, do you honestly believe that the majority would believe he was the superior vocalist?
:zombie:

I would go one step further and ask someone to step away from both Firewind & Tarot. I would ask them to compare Marco's vocals on the last Nightwish disc with Apollo's on his Time Requiem disc. Then you could truly evaluate the vocals without being hindered by musical preference of either band.

I haven't heard the new FIREWIND, is it really that good??? quote]

Okay I am sold, it goes on my Christmas list.

I love Tarot. I love Marco. I actually like the Tarot disc better for my tastes than Firewind. However, vastly superior vocals? :rolleyes:

If you strip away the music and both guys sang acapella, do you honestly believe that the majority would believe he was the superior vocalist?
:zombie:

I would go one step further and ask someone to step away from both Firewind & Tarot. I would ask them to compare Marco's vocals on the last Nightwish disc with Apollo's on his Time Requiem disc. Then you could truly evaluate the vocals without being hindered by musical preference of either band.

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinions. I didn't like Apollo in either band (I guess I liked him a bit more in Time Requiem), but you do have a valid point about the music playing a role in my enjoyment of the vocalist. That said, Marco is way better in Tarot.

I'd have to agree with Braxil on this one. While Apollo is indeed a very skilled vocalist, to me he just sounds like another dime-a-dozen balls-in-a-vicegrip power metal singer, whereas Marco was a roughness and edge to his voice that makes his vocals more unique and enjoyable to me.

Thank you all for responding to my question. I appreciate your help. I am going with Firewind and will send my thoughts on it in a week or so.

After Firewind, I will try Tarot and then Heavenly.

Thank you all for your help.

I'd have to agree with Braxil on this one. While Apollo is indeed a very skilled vocalist, to me he just sounds like another dime-a-dozen balls-in-a-vicegrip power metal singer, whereas Marco was a roughness and edge to his voice that makes his vocals more unique and enjoyable to me.

Hmmm .... I personally think Marco sounds like crap :Smug:

Apollo is one of the best vocalists in melodic metal these days in my opinion - from doing the "Malmsteen-powerhouse-vocalist-style" with Majestic and Time Requiem to his "Bon Jovi-AOR-voice" with Sandalinas, and now this more emotional style with Firewind (not to mention any of his billion other projects), he really shows how versatile he is. And - live he is fantastic!!!

c.

l like Apollo better in Time Requiem...just seems to suit him better than Firewind. Marco kills in Tarot! He mixes it up so well it's unreal. Just like someone said...he has an edge to his style. But if you want a monster disc...get Tarot's "Suffer Our Pleasures". Helluva cd! "Undead Son" on that slays!

Tarot - I know nothing about this band except for Marco. I like him in Nightwish if that's any relevance.

Heavenly/Dust to Dust = This is totally over the top, speedy, power metal! Dust to Dust is one of the best within it's genre in my opinion. The storyline is about vampires by the way.

Firewind/Allegiance = I'm a fan of this band, but I yet to own this particular release. I plan on getting it soon myself, but I doubt you can go wrong with Gus and company.

Hello All,

I just won a bet with my fiance and she owes me a cd. I am torn between a few cd's and I want the board's help. Please let me know which cd I should Choose and why. I have never heard music from any of these bands besides some sample clips. So your help will be much appreciated. I am a sucker for good vocals, plenty of melody, crystal production and great lead guitar solos. The Cd's are

Tarot - Crows Fly Black
Firewind - Allegiance
Heavenly - Dust to Dust

Thanks for your help.

"Allegiance" is a great CD but nowdays I'm on a Tarot rush so it'll be difficult for me to give advice. If it'll be me then Tarot for sure (bring the collection to completion :D)

Thank you all for responding to my question. I appreciate your help. I am going with Firewind and will send my thoughts on it in a week or so.

After Firewind, I will try Tarot and then Heavenly.

Thank you all for your help.

You chose wisely. Forget the other 2 bands, and go ahead and snag Firewinds back catalog!

I heard the new Heavenly, and it reminded me of a lullaby!

New Tarot was decent, but I dont hear anything in the vocal department that makes me wanna come back to it.