Astronomy and Metal

Damn, I've read Lords of Chaos a few times and I don't remember anything about Varg and his alien friends. How could I forget that?

.Scissors. said:
In fact, we probably aren't the only planet with civilization on it. The odds are against us being the only intelligent life in the universe. Of the 70 sextillion planets (I believe it is) in the universe, I'd be very surprised if there weren't any other advanced civilizations out there.
True. I find it ridiculous when people state as an argument that we haven't been visited yet by other civilisations to prove that we are the only one in the universe.

1. Maybe the other civilisations are not even as advanced than us.
2. Travelling from a solar system to another can take 200 years even with lightspeed. Plus, the theory of worm holes isn't valid yet and chances are that we can't travel through them if they exist. So if we haven't been visited yet, it's only because the other civilisations, even if they are far more advanced than us, can't reach us.

AsModEe said:
True. I find it ridiculous when people state as an argument that we haven't been visited yet by other civilisations to prove that we are the only one in the universe.

1. Maybe the other civilisations are not even as advanced than us.
2. Travelling from a solar system to another can take 200 years even with lightspeed. Plus, the theory of worm holes isn't valid yet and chances are that we can't travel through them if they exist. So if we haven't been visited yet, it's only because the other civilisations, even if they are far more advanced than us, can't reach us.

Yes, I agree. But if the civilization was far more advanced than us, and was like us 200 million years ago, than they could've sent a strong radio signal out. VERY strong. We have done this too, so I don't see why others wouldn't have. Also, it is ridiculous to state there is no life besides us because the evidence for life is enormous.
-Zack

When I was a teenager, I wanted to go for astrophysics or egyptology... Then I grew up and of course I did something radically different! o_O

However, I remember I'd run around with my Planisphere whenever I took a trip out of my city, and was mesmerized contemplating the stars (where I live, you're lucky if you get to see even Venus). It made me think about existance in a deep way, about how very tiny I am when compared to the grandour of the universe... Quite typical, I guess.

I never spent much time thinking about life in other places. Life is transitory, and thus unimportant, I thought.

Now I don't think about the stars very often. The reason is simple: I don't get to see them in this stinky city :Smug: .

Greetings and goodnights!:wave:

hatecrewdroll said:
Yes, I agree. But if the civilization was far more advanced than us, and was like us 200 million years ago, than they could've sent a strong radio signal out. VERY strong. We have done this too, so I don't see why others wouldn't have. Also, it is ridiculous to state there is no life besides us because the evidence for life is enormous.
-Zack
Advanced civilizations may simply find us unworthy of their time.

kkfootee said:
Now I don't think about the stars very often. The reason is simple: I don't get to see them in this stinky city :Smug:

i own a telescope (a very "amateurish" one at that hehe) but the above reason is why i cant even use it - too much crap in the air, not to mention the light pollution that goes on at night because of all the damned streetlights anyway.

.Scissors. said:

i completely agree - were a warlike race, why would anyone want to contact a civilization like that?

.Scissors. said:
Yes, because if they are watching us right now, they are probably watching what happened 20 million years ago.