At The Gates: Terminal Spirit Disease

thespectralsorrows

Metal Lord
Jun 19, 2002
Laurel, MD USA
groups.yahoo.com
Legendary Swedish Death Metal band At The Gates released their 3rd CD Terminal Spirit Disease in 1994 on the Futurist/Peaceville label. They would a year later release their magnum opus Slaughter of the Soul for Earache records. The band included vocalist Tomas Lindberg, guitarists Anders Bjorler/Martin Larsson, bassist Jonas Bjorler and drum master Adrian Erlandsson. TSD was recorded at Studio Fredman and produced by the renowned Fredrik Nordstrom. TSD is a short tight 35 minutes and 9 songs long.

The Swarm cuts right to the chase with a mid-paced metallic slaughter of cutting guitars and vocals. The title track is class At The Gates filled with roaring vocals, heavy riffs, time changes and lead guitar fills. And The World Returned is a total change of pace instrumental harking back to the bands debut as it includes cello and violin with acoustic guitars. Taking us back into the death metal is track 4 Forever Blind and its melodic death metal assualt of crushing guitars and ever changing tempo thanks to great work by Adrian. Lyrically the band isn’t about gore or religion, but more about emotions, life and the world itself. Plenty of melody is to be found in The Fevered Circle with its slower pace along with Tomas raspy vocals. The last new song is called The Beautiful Wound. Now you are treated to 3 live songs from the first 2 At The Gates CD’s. These excellent live renditions include All Life Ends, The Burning Darkness and Kingdom Gone. You’re probably wondering why the band only turned in basically 5 new songs and then 3 live songs. My guess is they got an offer from Earache halfway through the recording and decided to save some material for a future release while fulfilling their contract obligations with Peaceville.

Terminal Spirit Disease shows a band clearly on the rise and inventive with a sound that’s clean and heavy so you can hear all that’s going on without it getting monotonous like some of the copycat bands (modern Dark Tranquility is even guilty of this). TSD is a must own for all fans of the Swedish melodic death metal genre or those just getting into it. Though I would assume that everyone in this group must already have at least one At The Gates CD in their collection by now.

Available for $11.50 from
http://www.theendrecords.com in a digipak reissue re-mastered + 2 bonus live tracks.

Gallantry over Docility said:
The Red in the Sky is Ours is one of the best albums ever recorded. This one's shallow.

Do you ever praise anything outside or Prozak's 'Best Of' lists?

Anyways, I've never really been a huge At The Gates fan. When it comes to their music, I've always prefered their Gardens of Grief EP.

Definitely ATG's best work to date, Thomas vocals couldn't be in better agressive shape. He's my favorite growler of the momment! Thanks for the review TheSpectralSorrows!

Slaughter of The Soul was boring,uninspired and one of the most overrated metal albums. I have not heard 'Terminal Spirit Disease ' or their early works.

artistically speaking, "the red in the sky is ours" are at the gates at their creative peak... now if your are searching for despair ridden, agressive music with a soft spot for melody, emotional as hell... then terminal spirit disease is the best... better than slaughter of the soul IMO.

This one is decent but doesn't compare with The Red in the Sky is Ours. TRitSiO has more complex melodies which is probably why I like it. You could tell the direction ATG were heading at with this one though this is still 10x better than Slaughter of the Soul will ever be.

ATG albums:

1- wfiktbd
2-tritsio
3- sots
4- tsd
5- gog

'sfa' doesn't count, because compilations suck.