AT4047 vs. AKG C414

i love the 414.
i find most AT mics Especially the 4040 offensively bright and i use those things all the time.

Interesting that you would say that Greyskull. Only because the 414 is supposed to be closer to the C12 which is a bright mic and the 4047 is supposed to be closer to the 4047 which is a darker mic. I own the AT4047 and I think its a great studio workhorse mic. Its not really all that bright either. But I've never heard the 414 but I have read that its a bright mic. I have heard an original AKG C12 and it was a bright mic. I also have an APEX 460 that I modded to be closer to a C12, such as a Peluso Ck12 capsule and a few other electronic mods and the Apex 460 is much brighter than the AT. I think you really can't go wrong with the either mic, but it depends on what applications your using it on. The AT will probably have more lower mids, which work well on acoustic guitars as well as vocalists.

You're not really going to go wrong with either of those. I would maybe lean toward the 414.

However, I think the KSM-44 IS offensively bright, more so than a 4040. So I'd kind of stay away from that one.

I'm planning on buying a used large diaphragm mic, so I am thing which of these 2?

Maybe even a Shure KSM-44?

I'd take a 4047 over a 414 any day of the week. I hate 414s for the most part, and the 4047 is probably the best AT mic out there. Its modeled after the fet47 except it's new so it's reliable.

The 414 is a good mic, but it's bright and I find it's really hit and miss with sounding good. Either it's stellar or it's subpar, it's never in between.

if you think the 414 is bright you should hear a brauner phantom. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I'm thinking specifically the AT4047MP I'd like to have the multiple patterns to choose from and the 414XLS.

Looking at the specs for the 2 I think the 414 is a little better.

However from what I know the 4047's make great guitar mics too I don;t know if I'd like the 414 for that.

I have a pair of the 414XLS I use for classical music (well, organ and choir specifically) and I think they are great for that however each generation of the 414 has less color than the last IME. I would use the new ones (B-XL-II or B-XLS) for VO but I don't think I would use them as a close vocal mic. You can stick a 414 right on a guitar cab and get some cool sounds for sure though.

The bottom is good. Obviously you get far more low end extension than you do a 57 so things can get woofy up close so you have to play with the position a bit and the "rules" are definitely different than w/ dynamics. For clean guitars I've chosen a U87 over a 414 b/c I feel like it's a more mid-centric mic but the 414 is nice. I'm sure others could speak to this more intelligently since I've only thrown a 414 up a couple of times. I will say I would never use it as my only guitar mic.

I have the 4047 and the studio i work on has the 414. The 414 is TOO bright IMHO and I almost abandoned it...The 4047 however is great is many applications and IIRC its cheaper. It doesnt work that great for some kinds of vocals (too smooth)