ATH M50 vs DT770 vs other

I guess I'm a part of the minority here, since I really didn't think the M50's were anything special. For the price, yeah, they're cool, even if their bass is slightly bloated and the mids are pretty scooped. And at least to me there was a nasty treble spike that sounded a bit uncomfortable to my ears. I could've lived with all of that, but the main reason I sold them was that they were -really- uncomfortable for me to wear. I have a big head and ears I guess (stretched lobes surely don't help either) and they would grip so hard that I'd get a headache from wearing them for more than 45 minutes at a time.

So in the end, even though I owned the M50's for a bit, I reached for the HD-650's all of the time. The M50's I'd only use if I had to. Yeah, I also have (and love) the HD-650's, and I didn't think the M50's were a good companion to them. The HD-650's, at least to my ears, just sounded better in all aspects, so I really didn't use the M50's much at all, so I sold them.

I got the AKG K-550's to replace the M50's for mobile tracking and such, and I really like them a lot. Actually, the other driver on my HD-650's broke a couple of months ago, and I still haven't bothered to replace it; I just went to using the K-550's all of the time. I really like how comfortable they are, and they sound as if they were "open" even though they're closed cans. Only minus might be a weaker bass than on the HD-650's, but I think the top end on the K-550's is much clearer and better than on the HD-650's, so they actually compliment each other very well.

Only thing I have to say about the K-550's is that they can be a bit difficult to get to fit and seal properly, if you've got a smaller head and ears. I personally never had an issue - actually, reading about them made me more confident in buying them, because of the comfort issues I had with the M50's - but there's a lot of cursing about that e.g. on Head-Fi. That, and the cable isn't replaceable, but it isn't on the original M50's either. There's other alternatives obviously too; my friend was just raving about some MrSpeakers Mad Dog cans that he wanted me to try, but we haven't had the chance to do that yet.

Here's a good list of closed cans to try BTW: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

FWIW I worked with a bigish engineer last year and he used those Bose for listening. "They don't sound perfect but I know them better than anything."

Yes, I highly recommend them for casual listening in the car, bus, train, or things of that nature. Surprisingly, in a noisy plane, or train, I can hear the hiss of the snare reverb in a dense mix with no problem. The guitars are a little bit harsh or let's say unprecise but all in all they are surprisingly good, for headphones which whole purpose in first instance is mainly noise cancellation.

On the bose, topic, this thing is insane : http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...s/bluetooth_speakers/soundlink_mini/index.jsp I still can't understand how this thing can deliver such bass where I can actually hear the note very clearly. It makes my hotel walls rumble past 1/4 of the max volume, and it sounds pretty nice ! I would actually like these as stereo laptop HPs if it were possible, they are so convenient and sound good for casual listening !

Anyone have love for the HD600's? I know Marshy and Putni swear by them; I'm considering picking up a pair for mixing with as my current room/potential future places for the next while aren't ideal for mixing/treatment.

My experience has been that Sennheisers have a particular sound. Also, open are an adjustment after using closed for a long time. The good news is you can probably find a hifi store that has a pair in stock for you to try given where you're located. I think the AKG 702's are worth consideration in that price and style range. Both the 600 and the 702 are a little lighter on bass than the m50's (not necessarily in a bad way).

Thanks Egan. I know that I absolutely hate how the AKG 240s feel while wearing them but find the HD600s to be super comfy (tried Marshy's on but didn't listen) - are the 702s like the 240s in that aspect?

That makes sense, thanks. I'll have to call around and find a place with both in stock; I am pretty used to the Senn sound from my HD280s and HD212s but I did upgrade to the M50s for a reason.

I got a Q701, ATH-M50 and Denon AH-D2000 and can't get rid of any of them. They all serve to completely different purposes mixing-wise. The Q701 is the most accurate overall but lacks bass and specially sub-bass.

Between the DT770 and M50, I prefer the M50 for its sound, but I don't like the comfort. The D2000 is very comfortable and its sound signature takes some time to get used to because it's v-shaped, but it absolutely slays the other 2 for listening to details and transients. I assume the newest models haven't changed very much.

Custom in-ears may be the way to go if you spend a lot of time with headphones on and don't need to take them off very often. Putting CIEMs in and taking them out is a PITA. There are plenty of options in the market and the prices are getting more accessible. At least it's worth some research.

^ Are they close to the HD650s or are they in no way related or from the same generation ?

I hate that they just released new M50s which look like they tried to solve the comfort issue... but if I can have new M50s for 105e I am not complaining !

I have M-50 and KRK KNS 8400. Both are great, but shine at different departments. M-50 are really nice because of their bass extension, but I feel they lack details in mids/high mids (the very part that KRKs are great at btw), so they are not that useful for checking vocals & guitars. On the other hand, even though KRKs can get pretty low, I find that M-50 are better for checking the low end. KRKs are much more comfier, and have memory pads, which are great. Can't compare them to any Sennheiser model, because I haven't used any (except for HD 202 we use at work for telephone hybrid monitoring, and they are crap).

I had the 80 ohm version of the DT770s for a while. Couldn't get along with the scoop in the upper mids. Only thing I found them useful for was checking the low end. If you've got too much low end in your mixes you'll know it with these headphones. They were, however, extremely comfortable.

The only disadvantage of the 990's is they're pretty quiet, so you have to crank the output volume (my Galaxy S III is only just loud enough through them, not sure how the iPhone headphone amp compares)

OT, took a look at the cans and have to say I'm in love :rofl: They come with a 32 ohm set, which I guess would be adequate for most interfaces without an amp?

Love my ATH-M50s... but I need to get new pads on em, tbh tho I never found them to be uncomfortable, in fact quite the opposite! (So I may benefit from the way the 990s wear.) If anything they're a bit too large for my head if their band isn't tightened up all the way >_> and with most headphones I don't care for when my ears feel like they're resting right on or near the drivers, but the M50s are not as bad as others as far as that goes. >_<

Received the m50 today. I was not too annoyed, they feel better than I expected. After reading so much about their discomfort, I found them good enough actually ! Nowhere near the HD650s but they were all right. I felt like I could hear a few more details than on the HD650 but I haven't used those in weeks, and don't have them now, maybe I got used to the ipod earplugs or the Bose BC15 too much. I will definitely compare them when I can !

Hope you like your purchase!

The M50's comfort depends on head/ear size. I'm glad it's comfortable on your head!

Personally I find it hard to compare them to the HD650 (it's been a while since I used the Senn last tho), but your impression of listening to more details with the M50 is very possible. Make that comparison when you can!

I bought the new m-50x`s, and i do not crave other headphones. They have solved the issues with the old pair and imo is the best set bang for your buck.

I'm gonna get a set of M50x just for the bigger ear pads. Currently my M50s are really beaten up by non-stop use for about 5 years and I could have a new set already :lol:
After wearing them for 10h+ a day (films, music, games, youtube, audio work...) you end up wishing the earpads were a bit bigger.

I'm gonna get a set of M50x just for the bigger ear pads. Currently my M50s are really beaten up by non-stop use for about 5 years and I could have a new set already :lol:
After wearing them for 10h+ a day (films, music, games, youtube, audio work...) you end up wishing the earpads were a bit bigger.

Definitely let us know how different it is. I feel like the comfort is the only thing holding the m50's back from being the best closed back phone around.