Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs. Sennheiser HD 280

ModernIconoclast

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2009
Hey fellas, new guy here.

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones to use for mixing and I've narrowed it down to the AT ATH-M50 and the Sennheiser HD 280. The problem is there's nowhere reasonably close by where I can go try either one of those out for myself so I need some help. A couple people have told me the Senns have a flatter freq. response making them better for mixing but others have told me the AT's have better isolation, are made a little better, and are more comfortable. The AT's are about $60 more but I'd have no problem paying more for those if they're definitely better than the Senns. From what I've read around the forum quite a few of you guys recommend the AT's, so if any of you have experience with both I'd appreciate the help.

Also, what's the difference between the ATH-M50 and the ATH-M50S? Their specs look identical and they're even the same price :confused:

Never tried the AT's but I have the 280's and say for mixing they aren't for that purpose. They have very little low end and the focus on the HD280's is the good isolation and nice top end *imho* so if you are tracking the 280's are great but for mixing id say go for the AT's or something else.

I have a recently acquired pair of ATH-M50's. I think they're absolutely stunning, best earphones I've ever used.

Never tried the AT's but I have the 280's and say for mixing they aren't for that purpose. They have very little low end and the focus on the HD280's is the good isolation and nice top end *imho* so if you are tracking the 280's are great but for mixing id say go for the AT's or something else.

This. I own both, and the M50s fucking stomp all over the 280s as far as sound quality is concerned, but the 280s have much better isolation and are my first choice for tracking applications.

I highly recommend owning both, but if your main intent is mixing, the M50s are the best bet.

Also, where did you find the M50s being $60 more? I got my pair for $85, $15 cheaper than I got my 280s for.

This. I own both, and the M50s fucking stomp all over the 280s as far as sound quality is concerned, but the 280s have much better isolation and are my first choice for tracking applications.

I highly recommend owning both, but if your main intent is mixing, the M50s are the best bet.

Also, where did you find the M50s being $60 more? I got my pair for $85, $15 cheaper than I got my 280s for.

Musiciansfriend, Sweetwater, and other similar sites all have them for $160. I'd love to get them new for <$100, any suggestions?

Yeah I saw a few on Ebay that were around $90-100 with free shipping, looks like that's the way I'll go.

Another question, would I benefit much from a dedicated headphone amp with those AT's?

I have a recently acquired pair of ATH-M50's. I think they're absolutely stunning, best earphones I've ever used.
I second that. For 100 bucks it's a bargain.

Another question, would I benefit much from a dedicated headphone amp with those AT's?
What would you originally use to boost your headphones? I use a Presonus HP4 here and it makes it's job right. Not the best amp out ther, but usable nonetheless

Hi folks!! More a reader here than a poster...

I just got my ath-m50... Those are my first studio monitor headphones and I have to say that I'm blown away!!

You can't go wrong with those!

Jeb

i own both as well, as would recommend the AT's hands down for mixing. they sound excellent and i've used them for hours at a time without them being hard on the ears. as for the 280's, terrible for mixing for the reasons stated above, but good iso headphones for tracking.

I own M-50's .It takes some time to get used to them, as I have nothing but 2 Microlab multimedia speakers. Ain't no surprise - monstrous woofy low end, even if I turn the knob to min, and therefore I heard different bass drum sound when I switched to AT's. They aren't very comfortable, my ears tend to sweat since they are closed. Got them for $104

For the money you can't beat the M50s.

Their main drawbacks are ear cups that get sweaty after long use (particularly on humid shithole desert islands) and a mid-forward tonality that can often-times 'flatter' guitar tones to sound thicker than they really are. Other than that they are sweet!

I second that. For 100 bucks it's a bargain.

What would you originally use to boost your headphones? I use a Presonus HP4 here and it makes it's job right. Not the best amp out ther, but usable nonetheless

Well my main purpose for getting them is to use in my school's studio but I'm not sure how they'll be hooked in to my teacher's equipment. When I'm just working on my own computer I had just figured they'd go through the output of my PC, but this will be my first experience with studio headphones like this, would the headphone output of a PC not put out enough power to boost them properly?

Thanks for all the help.

It's not obvious enough for you to be being sarcastic, but yet it's not obscure enough to be that surprised......

what are you doing?
Exactly what I was going to ask. hahahaha

ModernIconoclast

As far as I know, a headphone amp gives more than just power. It has to do with quality too, but unfortunately I can't comment on that. I only tested HP4 and the built-in amps of MOTU 8pre, Presonus Firestudio 2626 and M-Audio Profire 2626. No noticeable difference among them all. But here are amps that cost over 700 bucks each channel, so there must be a difference.