Atlanta's Mellow Mushroom...anyone been?

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Ran across this nugget and wondered if anyone can speak to the ranking of Atlanta's Mellow Mushroom in the list of top 13 pizzas in the nation, or if anyone can state the validity of its deliciousness...

http://cityguide.aol.com/denver/bes...laces&_dci_e_t=incoming&_dci_a_l=www.aol.com/

13 Perfect Pizzas Across America

1. Zachary's Chicago Pizza -- Berkeley, Calif.
A quichelike, deep-dish special

2. Pizzeria Regina -- Boston
Hearty sauce and brick-oven crust since 1926

3. Patsy Grimaldi's Pizzeria -- Scottsdale, Ariz.
Baked in a 25-ton coal oven

4. Vic's Bar & Restaurant -- Bradley Beach, N.J.
Mmm, fresh-cut Jersey tomatoes!

5. Tacconelli's -- Philadelphia
For pizza connoisseurs, this is thin-crust art.

6. John's Pizzeria -- New York
Greenwich Village classic defines the New York-style pie.

7. Star Pizza -- Houston
Their dough and sauce are made fresh daily.

8. Imo's Pizza -- St. Louis
How the locals like it: thin crust with provel cheese.

9. Home Run Inn -- Chicago
''Power-hitting'' 'zas are the stars of this citywide chain.

10. Mellow Mushroom -- Atlanta
Their gourmet white pie is an ATL legend.

11. Windy City Pizza -- Tampa, Fla.
65 toppings, from lobster to gouda

12. Anthony's Pizza and Pasta -- Denver
Nothing fancy, everything perfect

13. Papreza's Pizza -- Henderson, Nev.
Sin City's sinful deep-dish

Having been from Chicago, and then moving to Atlanta... I can say that that list is horrible.

Mellow Mushroom is good, but make sure you get it fresh and hot. By the time you take it back to your home, it gets too cold to be as good. For good eating, you need the crust to be soft. But yeah... its good, and was my favorite Atlanta area pizza for a while, and tops all the chain delivery places.

But, I'm sorry it doesn't beat Unos, Ginos, Edwardos, nor Lou Malnatis. Damnit. Pizza is probably the main reason that I miss chicago. I'm tired of the east coast 'oven baked pizza,' and thin crusts. Sure, some of them are really good. I've been to some of the best ones around, and it doesn't hold up to a good deep dish. I love pizza.

Anyhow, yeah I recommend Mellow Mushroom.

Yippee38 said:
How can anything "quichelike" rank as the best pizza? If it's quichelike, it ain't pizza.

Amen! I hear ya load and clear, and couldn't agree more.

I find it interesting the amount of "chicago style" pizzas listed, yet the only representation from Chicago would probably not even be considered "Chicago style" pizza...although I consider it one of the best.

I LOVE Mellow Mushroom, but not nearly as much as my fiance. He INSISTS on going every time he visits here. :D

I "took" a couple people there last year before the pre-pre-party... Zod, Jason, Britt... care to chime in? :)

Shaye

Like Cherion said, it's good pizza. Not what I would call the best, but definitely a leap above the chain delivery stores. I don't know any good places around Atlanta that do a good Chicago style, but there are a few that do good New York style. My favorite is a local shop called La Bella's in Marietta. The owner is from New York, and has all his ingredients shipped from NYC.

--Mike

We've got a mellow mushroom here in charleston. Pizza is what I eat there. Its pretty good, lots of topping choices.. but I would have never have thought to put this place a top ten list. There's a "NY pizza" place in the penn state university area that is badass

The Mellow Mushroom in Columbia is quite good as well. Don't know if it's as good as the one in ATL, however, the topping selection is great and the BEER selection is great is well.

AngraRULES said:
There's no better restaurant in Atlanta than Fogo de Chao. No pizza, though.

That's just a *wee* bit pricier than Mellow Mushroom, though. :rolleyes:

As for pizza, I don't think I'd eat Chicago-style unless my life depended on it. that may put my comments in perspective. :)

Yippee38 said:
That's pretty much the list I was thinking of (maybe add in Giordanos).

What about *good* italian beef sandwiches and Chicago style hot dogs?

I agree on all accounts. Sigh. I keep wanting to order in some Lou Malnatis or Portillos Hot dogs... can get em shipped in dry ice and all. But expensive.

i think it's a travesty that "Chicago" style pizza is mentioned but no one is represented. It is a known fact that for years the pizza wars are Chicago VS> New York. New York claims to have the best thin crust which I will give them but Chicago OWNS deep dish. Sorry folks, if you do not believe me come here someday and try the following places.

1. Lou Malnatis
2. Pequods Pizza
3. Pizzeria Uno
4. Pizzeria Uno

lady_space said:
I "took" a couple people there last year before the pre-pre-party... Zod, Jason, Britt... care to chime in? :)
Yep... good food. When you're from the NJ/NY area, it's not often you'll find pizza you like elsewhere. I'd recommend it to anyone passing through, and looking for a good, reasonably priced meal.

Zod

Oh and just for the recors Shaye, I am now your enemy LOL You obviously do not know where to go (but I'd like to tell you) LOL