Atlanta's Mellow Mushroom...anyone been?

The_Q said:
3. Pizzeria Uno

I dunno if it's the same one, but I've eaten at Pizzeria Uno chain locations in Arlington, VA and Boston. They convinced me that I can't ignore deep dish. :) Does anybody know a good place for that in Atlanta? I don't think there is one.

--Mike

I love Mellow Mushroom and it seems I always have friends working at one store or another in town, so that's pretty cool. Their pizzas are quite good, but I adore their calzones. :)

As for deep dish in Atlanta, we've had a few that didn't pan out: a place called Upper Crust (awesome, they were in Around Lenox shopping center near the old Tower Records location) and a place called The Loop, which was near Northlake Mall and only lasted about 18 glorious months. They ruled.

When I was up in Chi-town for Dream Theater many years ago now, we ordered from a place simply called, I think, Chicago's Pizza. We were nonplussed at the $19 price quoted over the phone for a mere 12-inch pie...until it arrived. It was awesome: incredibly thick, etc. We were hungry and still only managed to eat one piece each. I ended up leaving a slice behind at the hotel, and wanted to cry over abandoning it.

I'd like to toss an honorable mention in for the steak-and-cheese pizzas from Anthony's in Atl. (I-85 at Shallowford). Steak, mushrooms, onions, extra cheese....and ranch dressing in lieu of tomato sauce. Sounds weird but it rules.

Mellow is my favorite pizza joint. I make it a point to go by there every time I go home (and usually at Mike and Tracie's sufferance :heh: ). I keep saying one of these days I'm going to road trip to Charlottesville (the closest one to me) for some during the long non-football season stretches when I don't make it down to Atlanta...

lady_space said:
I LOVE Mellow Mushroom, but not nearly as much as my fiance. He INSISTS on going every time he visits here. :D

I "took" a couple people there last year before the pre-pre-party... Zod, Jason, Britt... care to chime in? :)

Shaye
Yeah, cool place ... good pizza !! I think I'd like to go back again this year.

Britt

The_Q said:
i think it's a travesty that "Chicago" style pizza is mentioned but no one is represented. It is a known fact that for years the pizza wars are Chicago VS> New York. New York claims to have the best thin crust which I will give them but Chicago OWNS deep dish. Sorry folks, if you do not believe me come here someday and try the following places.

1. Lou Malnatis
2. Pequods Pizza
3. Pizzeria Uno
4. Pizzeria Due

Agree with most of your text, but I would flip your list upside down for my likings. Nice mention of Pequods, though....my lady lives right by one in Morton Grove and we go to it all the time.

trentdk said:
We've got a mellow mushroom here in charleston. Pizza is what I eat there. Its pretty good, lots of topping choices.. but I would have never have thought to put this place a top ten list. There's a "NY pizza" place in the penn state university area that is badass
I agree, the mellow mushroom in Charleston had some damn good pizza. I really liked it a lot. However, I agree with trentdk on this one, I don't see MM as being someting top 10 worthy at all.

I DO remember this place we went to in Chicago and they had some BADASS deep dish pizza, but I don't remember the name of the place, it had a really cool atmosphere about it though.

Palabra de Dios said:
The Mellow Mushroom in Columbia is quite good as well. Don't know if it's as good as the one in ATL, however, the topping selection is great and the BEER selection is great is well.
Also agree on this one, MM in Columbia is pretty good too, though I think I enjoyed the Charleston one a bit more. I didn't catch the beer selection though.

Pellaz said:
As for deep dish in Atlanta, we've had a few that didn't pan out: a place called Upper Crust (awesome, they were in Around Lenox shopping center near the old Tower Records location) and a place called The Loop, which was near Northlake Mall and only lasted about 18 glorious months. They ruled.

I used to go to The Loop a lot, as my parents live in the Northlake area. There's a newer chain called the Loop that I've seen around town, but I haven't gone yet. I'm afraid it'll taint my memories of the Nothlake Loop. :)

Pellaz said:
I'd like to toss an honorable mention in for the steak-and-cheese pizzas from Anthony's in Atl. (I-85 at Shallowford). Steak, mushrooms, onions, extra cheese....and ranch dressing in lieu of tomato sauce. Sounds weird but it rules.

That sounds rather interesting. I don't recall having seen that place over there. Is it on the side of 85 with the Publix, or the side near St. Pius high school?

--Mike

Locust0311 said:
Mellow is my favorite pizza joint. I make it a point to go by there every time I go home (and usually at Mike and Tracie's sufferance :heh: ). I keep saying one of these days I'm going to road trip to Charlottesville (the closest one to me) for some during the long non-football season stretches when I don't make it down to Atlanta...

Now that you mention it, I don't think we go to Mellow Mushroom all that much when you're not in town. :D

--Mike

PS -> Love that cat in your sig, btw :)

(Regarding Anthony's)

Wishmaster said:
That sounds rather interesting. I don't recall having seen that place over there. Is it on the side of 85 with the Publix, or the side near St. Pius high school?

Near St. Pius. In fact, at one time, while I was delivering pizza out of there, they catered pizza for lunches at St. Pius. It's just to the right of the Circle K.

Besides their excellently different steak-and-cheese pies, their 'mighty meaty' is also good. They have a pretty diverse menu, and have decent (not great, but relatively inexpensive) spaghetti and lasagna (etc.) dinners, and excellent subs. They have almost no seating, though, and are situated in a heavily Hispanic area...not dangerous per se, but you'll see a fair number of loiterers.

I have fond memories of Anthony's (formerly Primo's): Back when I was a delivery driver we were paid per delivery, not 'on the clock,' so between deliveries we just hung around the store. I wrote a short story there and eventually finished it, writing in-between 'runs.' The other delivery guys laughed at me for it, saying I'd never be published.
Later, that story was published in the anthology Tales of the White Wolf, featuring Elric of Melnibone....so I got the last laugh. :heh: