Attack Attack Cover (to show clients a modern pod/slate sound)

CarlBlomqvist

Here to learn
Jun 18, 2008
Skövde, Sweden
So, I've decided to record a couple of song of different genres for my myspace, to show potential clients what they can expect.

This song is supposed to be the "modern pod/slate mix"-song. I choosed this song because everyone knows it, so it draws attention to itself + it's an often desierable sound for many bands. :loco:

The mix is not done, neither is the quick mastering I did. I need to add a techno bass drum + claps, aswell as cut the guitars alot during the trance-break (and some other places, they're kinda sloppy at times).

Please tell me what you think of the mix. What is good and what is bad, I want to improve, so shoot!

If you want to know about something in the mix, just ask and I will gladly elaborate. :headbang:

Link to the song:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/745395/Stick Stickly preview-01.mp3

Cheers!
Carl

Snare sounds a bit "brittle". Guitars could be turned up slightly. The cymbals stand out a bit too much.

It sounds really good, it just needs a little tweaking.

Guitars sound a bit muddy, not my kind of band at all... snare sounds quite small give it a boost around 200hz! Which snare did you use, the one on the cracky metal kit?

Definitely some multiband compression from the 150-300 area on the guitars need to be done. Other than that, it sounds good man, get some crappy vocals on! :cool:

Guitars are definitely lacking upper mid and treble brightness man. Try some boosts around 4.5KHz and 6.5/7KHz in POD Farm or your EQ. Just enough to add some "fizz" but don't take things too far or you'll get a harsh grating sound that interferes with cymbal perception.
Lose some of the lower mids of the guitars too and bring that area up slightly in the bass guitar

Guitars sound a bit muddy, not my kind of band at all... snare sounds quite small give it a boost around 200hz! Which snare did you use, the one on the cracky metal kit?

All right! Gonna try to boost the snare :)
I used 12A and 2A for the basic sound, then 15 + 15Z5 (room) heavily compressed togheter to get the ring and room sound.
I don't use the kits in SSD Kontakt. I just tried it once.

Definitely some multiband compression from the 150-300 area on the guitars need to be done. Other than that, it sounds good man, get some crappy vocals on! :cool:

Yes! :) I know about the multiband compression, and it's one of my top priorities. I wanted to use ReaXComp because my friend (Sickan on the forum) told me it was good on guitars, but reaper.fm was down, but now I've downloaded it.

Guitars are definitely lacking upper mid and treble brightness man. Try some boosts around 4.5KHz and 6.5/7KHz in POD Farm or your EQ. Just enough to add some "fizz" but don't take things too far or you'll get a harsh grating sound that interferes with cymbal perception.
Lose some of the lower mids of the guitars too and bring that area up slightly in the bass guitar

Yeah, i've got some cuts around 4k on the guitar. Might loosen them abit. Gonna play around with it and see what comes out. Thanks for the tip :)
The guitars also have a small boost around 250, so I might try to lower that then, for the bass.

sound good but yeah the snare coul do with some more low mids as mentioned ,what did you use for the bass?
Bass sound is not one of my best, but it's okay. It's 2 tracks, one HP + one LP. Both going in to AmpegSVX aswell as some compression, limiting and EQ.

is it just me and my ears being shot after 12 hours of tracking.
or does the mix sound scooped?

Hmm, it's not scooped in what I'd call scooped. It's a little cutted around 1k though. It's not deathmetal scooped ^^

Hey GUIEZ I FOUND TACT KONBS

Line%206_1.jpg

i agree with brian.. needs more tact ;)

i think the mix needs more low end in general, although that could just be me. not buying the piano instrument, either.

the mashed up synth/pop core business at the end just doesn't fit well with me.. i can't really offer much help in that area, i'm afraid..!

guitar tone is pretty good, and the drums are pretty good too, although i defo agree the snare needs some more low end.

other than that, it's pretty sweet!

thanks,