ATTN: IOfTheStorm and Demonspell

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Have you two guys finished your top 10 lists of the year yet?

Demonspell - your list last year was almost identical to mine, so let's see what yours is looking like this year. Of course, I assume nothing comes close to Mabool?

IOfTheStorm said:
I had. And for some usefull information only the number 1 of my list is better than Mabool.

Sieges Even is better than Mabool? Holy shit, those are bold words.

EDIT: Not that I've heard Sieges Even of course...

IOfTheStorm said:
Im not sure that you will find it better (most likely you wont) but there's no doubt for me, S.E. released the best prog album of the 00s.
SE will make my Top 10. However, whether it's the best Prog CD of 2005 depends on what else you consider Prog. For instance, I have the following Prog/Progish CDs currently ahead of SE on my list (though, as always, such things may change):

Circus Maximus "The 1st Chapter"
Dead Soul Tribe "The Dead Word"
Frameshift "Absence of Empathy"
Redemption "The Fullness of Time"
Riverside "Second Life Syndrome"

Zod

Well for example i wouldnt in any case call D.S.T or Redemption more prog than S.E, i loved the Redemption album, but its not as good as "TAONBTS", its just simple standard prog/power metal with very very good ideas, while "The Art Of Navigating By The Stars" is way more special, atmospheric and emotional...just magical, it cant be compared with anything other than other S.E. albums (only "A Sense Of Change" actually). I havent heard Circus Maximus or Frameshift, but i really really want to hear Riverside.

IOfTheStorm said:
Well for example i wouldnt in any case call D.S.T or Redemption more prog than S.E
Agreed. That said, I enjoy both more than SE.

IOfTheStorm said:
I havent heard Circus Maximus or Frameshift, but i really really want to hear Riverside.
CM is an excellent young band, with an amazing singer. There's a heavy DT influence in their music, and also a heavy "Empire" era Queensryche influence. I've never heard a singer do so much, with such little effort, in a live setting. Perhaps the most flawless live vocal performance I've ever witnessed. As for the new Riverside, it's a positive step forward from their debut. The guitar playing is phenomenal.

Zod

Haven't heard all of the DST yet, will have it in my possession by the end of the year. Riverside is an album of the year contender, it has everything I demand from a prog metal album. Sieges Even is a definite top ten for me. Redemption is a bit of a mixed proposition...it's extremely well performed and Ray Alder sounds great throughout, but I have a hard time remembering most of it when it's not playing...