Audio configuration for best performance in your DAW

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
I'll be honest, I'm not the hottest with buffer sizes sample rates etc If anyone can suggest a good read, send it this way!

Picture14.png

This is my current audio preferences set up in Logic 9. I have 4gb of RAM and a 2.1GHz processor, however, when running lots of difference CPU heavy plugins and lots of audio tracks, my sequencer stops and I get the message "System Overload"

Could this be to do with my audio preferences? Or my processor?

My laptop can't hold anymore RAM so I need to sold the problem one way or another

For mixing you can change your buffer size to the highest one available. It doesn't really matter since you're just playing back the already recorded audio and it should eliminate some choke on the processor. Be sure to lower the buffer again when you're tracking, though.

For mixing you can change your buffer size to the highest one available. It doesn't really matter since you're just playing back the already recorded audio and it should eliminate some choke on the processor. Be sure to lower the buffer again when you're tracking, though.

Not strictly true. Some plugins behave very strangely with high buffer settings. But essentially you're correct - just be careful.