Audio & MIDI Interface for Drums

Wesopa

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2010
Madrid, Spain
I'm planning to record my acoustic drum using multiple tracks, but using SSD as sound replacer, and I don't know what hardware I need exactly. I think I need an audio interface to connect the triggers to my computer, if possible, a Firewire interface. But i don't know if I need a MIDI interface and some MIDI cables too.

So my question is: What I exactly need to connect some triggers to my computer, and to use it with SSD? And if posible, any suggestion about an interface with low latency to use it in live?

I've searched on google, the first thing I did, and I've read several things in a thousand places, but I still have doubts. So I asked about a recommendation of equipment because as I read not all interfaces have a latency as small as to play live.

Also, do not know what I'd need to convert the sound into a MIDI signal, because if I connect the triggers to an interface like the ProFire 2626, I guess I'll just receive the impulses in my DAW, but not converted to MIDI, to replace it with SSD.

I guess I need a MIDI interface or a Drum Module, and I also want to know what is best for that and if someone can recommend one in particular.

Anyway, thanks for you answer :)

I've searched on google, the first thing I did, and I've read several things in a thousand places, but I still have doubts. So I asked about a recommendation of equipment because as I read not all interfaces have a latency as small as to play live.

Also, do not know what I'd need to convert the sound into a MIDI signal, because if I connect the triggers to an interface like the ProFire 2626, I guess I'll just receive the impulses in my DAW, but not converted to MIDI, to replace it with SSD.

I guess I need a MIDI interface or a Drum Module, and I also want to know what is best for that and if someone can recommend one in particular.

Anyway, thanks for you answer :)

Most audio interfaces are equipped with MIDI In/Out.

If you are looking to do this LIVE, then an Audio interface IS NOT what you want. You need a trigger to midi interface. In the studio you can get away with the latency cause you can always "adjust it" if you have to.

So are you using this LIVE or for studio. If its live get a trigger / midi interface and trigger that way. If you gonna be in the studio then it makes no difference which way you go. Just dont expect to monitor the sampled kit when using an audio interface due to the Latency.

I actually just "converted" an old acoustic set to an electric set. I threw some mesh heads on it and set it up with ddrum pro triggers. I went the cheap route and picked up the Alesis Trigger I/O (which connects via USB, so you don't need to use an interface) When playing in real time I had no noticeable latency (maybe 2-3 ms) however, my experience was less than satisfactory when I went to record the midi hits; each came in about a half a beat late. I would recommend avoiding the Alesis, and perhaps looking into the roland TC6 converter or another drum module with a midi out connection, I have just put in an order for the roland and it is still on its way so I can't say for sure yet if it is going to be an improvement