Audiopain - Contagious

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Audiopain - Contagious
Vendlus Records - VEND012 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

audiopain_contagious.jpg

First released in 1999 as a limited pressing of 100 copies, Norwegian uberthrash group Audiopain's Contagious demo sold out so fast, that it got another 100 copy pressing. That sold out too, so they got another. Guess what happened to those hundred copies? Well, now Vendlus Records has decided to give this six-track demo a proper release at last, complete with a new mastering job by a former Nocturnal Breed guitarist, Tom Kvalsvoll and with a reproduction of the original artwork.

Presumably they're pretty starved of thrash over there in Norway, since to be honest, there's not a lot here that stands out as amazing. 'Slave' contains some eyebrow-raisingly dissonant riffs - kind of Ved Buens Ende on speed, if you will - as well as a nice, somewhat Black Sabbath-esque down-tempo clean passage at around the three minute mark that breaks up the relentless atmosphere nicely. But, for the most part, it's Celtic Frost and Slayer-isms all the way, albeit with an admirably savage feel and a recklessly pedal-to-the-metal velocity. That is, apart from the title track, which is a jarringly out-of-place acoustic lounge-jazz number. Yes, you read that right. No, I don't know why either.

If you can ignore the title track, and don't already own Aura Noir's discography, or if you do but you're truly desperate for more hyper-speed thrash savagery, then Contagious will more than suit your needs. If you're a more discerning thrash fan, however, then you'll probably find that you can safely pass this by.

6.5/10

Official Vendlus Records Website

Cool band--I'd rate this album a little higher. Their strongest effort is The Traumatizer. I think they have something else coming out soon, as well.