Australian (or wherever you're from) Idol

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Before this year I never really watched this (past the auditions that is), but I'm really enjoying it now.

Some of the performers are just insanely good, but I really like listening to the advice the guests give.. very similar to what most of us here are trying to do when tracking vocals, and some of the techniques and ideas they have are just fantastic, and you can really hear how the influence the end result.

But, the Australian public can be pretty fucking retarded too. They voted off this chick, who even after only 2 performances (which were both pitchy, but despite that), may be my favourite female vocalist ever.
http://www.australianidol.com.au/vi...0&vxTemplate=AustralianIdol09_IndexPlayer.swf

I guess this is kinda off-topic, but the producer-side of it is definitely not. If nothing else, I strongly urge any of you to watch it just to hear what the guests have to say. A lot of it is bullshit, but they had Liza Minelli (who is an awful singer I have to say) on tonight, and goddamn if she didn't bring out the best possible performances in some of them. Her producing techniques are insane and I can only hope to try and apply them when I track vocalists.

Personally the only thing that Liza did that impressed me was how she tried to make contestants find something in there own lives that related to the emotion of the song.

Sabrina had the best voice of the females but i'm digging Stan the most though the guy is an amazing singer.

<country> idol and x-factor make me feel violently ill and they offend the fuck out of me.

I dunno man, I've watched many countries versions of idol (mexican, american, finnish, and a couple of the australian ones and honestly, america still has the best female singers.

I can't watch these shows simply because its just a kareoke contest. I could go into town to watch losers perform other peoples songs.

plain and simple its a shitty kareoke contest and we all know that some people can sing but they just dont suit certain styles. trying to find someone who can replicate billy ray cyrus's voice or michael jackson's isnt going to find you a GREAT singer. a great singer is GREAT at what THEY DO. If they were serious they would of gotten off their asses and started making their own music a long time ago.

end

I disagree with the last comment. Quiet alot of the singers on the show are established musicians who have been struggling in the industry for a long period of time and this is probably the best way to be recognised in front of thousands - millions of people. I am not saying all of them are, but I know a few people who were on the show who gig like 4 times a week just to pay the bills.

I will say that I enjoyed the season of American Idol when David Cook was on. Something about his Voice and swagger hooked me. I even bought his CD when it came out. I know, I know.....I'm gay. :lol: