AWFUL news from the Gulf.

That's very constructive... and ill-informed.

We, the Norwegians been doing it in the north sea for decades now, with nothing even close to anything like this happening.
It really is a matter of knowing what you do, and taking the necessary precautions in case something do happens.
It's clear that bp wasn't even remotely prepared for anything like this.
If it had been Statoil (the biggest Norwegian oil company) that had been drilling in the gulf, the problem wouldn't have been nearly as severe.

What annoys the fuck out of me is watching a show as "Liquid Gold" or whatever it's called (on Discovery). Destroying a piece of land just randomly and leaving it behind as a mess don't giving a fuck about what influence this can have on the nature.

Most Oil companies follow the rules of the government, I think that here in Europe we have very, very strict rules, which helps to prevent these disasters.

While this is true, it doesn't address the TRUE cause of this matter. We have to get rid of our reliance on FINITE fossil fuels in an economy ran by INFINITE growth.

Why take the risk of drilling in high risk situations when there ARE SO MANY ALTERNATIVES FOR CLEAN, RELIABLE, AND FREE ENERGY. I can answer that question for you but I will leave it to you to answer it for yourselves. The time has come that we will have to change or face the consequences which could be NASTY.

Simply because there are millions of jobs in this line of work, and governments make huge profits from taxes on it!

While governments keep saying "we need to go green", the don't want that because that shit costs them money!

Why don't they drill in a few spots around the vicinity, set Wells up on those and lessen the pressure at the point of fuocus so they can seal it? Divert the flow to different points so it isn't going full blast through the hole they got now...? Is it not slightly logical?

Fuck that dude, we're gonna grind up tires and golf balls and shoot that into the big hole to plug it up! :lol:

Why don't they drill in a few spots around the vicinity, set Wells up on those and lessen the pressure at the point of fuocus so they can seal it? Divert the flow to different points so it isn't going full blast through the hole they got now...? Is it not slightly logical?

That's pretty much the solution they're working at yes. They're drilling two relief wells and will be pumping mud and cement into these wells to completely kill the well. The "top-kil" is only a temporary fix until the relief wells are finished.

Edit: Black Gold (on the Discovery Channel) is a very accurate representation of how the land based oil industry worked.......in the 1940s.

Simply because there are millions of jobs in this line of work, and governments make huge profits from taxes on it!

While governments keep saying "we need to go green", the don't want that because that shit costs them money!

You are COMPLETELY right. Take away the oil, coal, natural gas, etc businesses and you destroy the economy. So we have to choose, the economy or the Earth. Easy choice for me considering we can live without one but not without the other.

They are but they won't be done until August which I'm afraid may be too late.

But, if what they are saying in these articles I mentioned at the beginning of the thread are true then the relief wells will do little to no good.

So what does this actually mean? The Gulf of Mexico could get really fucked up by this? Or is it something that can contained and controlled?

I am not going to go off-topic here but I am truly sorry for you.

I really want you to explain to me how great your life would be if everything was a free-for-all as far as resources go?

You said we could live without an economy - I call bullshit, or at least that we couldn't live well. What kind of economy is another debate entirely, which I won't get into here.

I feel truly sorry for you - you'd be the first to have their shit completely pillaged if no economy existed.

I really want you to explain to me how great your life would be if everything was a free-for-all as far as resources go?

You said we could live without an economy - I call bullshit, or at least that we couldn't live well. What kind of economy is another debate entirely, which I won't get into here.

I feel truly sorry for you - you'd be the first to have their shit completely pillaged if no economy existed.

Jeff, we need to go have some beers together. Seems like we'd get along great :kickass:

Edit- No homo.

Also, to completely eliminate fossil fuels tomorrow would mean an immediate end to: driving your car, riding the bus, food delivery (enjoy your new garden), electricity (hope you have lots of candles), plastics, many food additives, fertilizers (for your new garden)...etc. etc. As much as you hate to admit it, petrochemicals are part of everything you do, eat, touch and think about. And let's be honest, it's still cheap.