Aww F#$k. What do I do with this situation?

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
So here's some shit for ya.

Band I just got done recording is done with there stuff, shit is mostly paid for (90%) and they change singers.

Well that's not really accurate actually. Apparently they liked the bass players voice better so they "suggested" that they swap out. Singers say fuck that and walks. - This is the story I got.

Now the band wants to redo the vox with the other guy. I have no problem with this personally since they are willing to pay however here is the problem:

The guy who walked was the guy who paid. He called tonight and put it like "would I be a dick if I didn't let them use the tracks" and I said "I have no idea do you own the copyright?".

Apparently nobody has bothered with copyright :Smug:.

Well crap okay so I said "well since your the one who has paid the money I think you have the right to do what your doing since (in my book) you own the recording.

Okay so now that you have the story I have what do I do? Am I right? Does the man with the cash make the rules?

Oh and just because of this I have come up with a studio policy that I am now kicking myself for not having. :cry:

Dude, ONE guy paid for everything??? His band must be a bunch a freeloaders so fuckem. The dude with the cash rules in this situation in my book, as long as you get paid. Er... I mean That's a tough one but that's my thoughts.

The guys need to sort out among themselves what to do as far as song ownership, but as far as ownership of the master recordings that you produced, those theoretically only belong to the person who paid.

From a legal stand point, you're only recording their music. You're not releasing the music, you're not copying it nor endorsing it. If they have internal issues they have to deal with them. For you personally it depends on who you handed the master disc to. If it's the former lead singer who's got the master disc, the band is essentially without any recordings *key point* not your fault.

However if you haven't handed out a master disc (or anything of the sort) and you're holding all the cards, remember you're just at the business end of things and only came into the picture to record the music. If the singer doesn't want the band to release that music because he didn't get his way it's not up to you, it's up to the 'band' to decide how the end product is going to sound.

I can remember when something like this happened to Officer Negative/Death Campaign. Singer-Songwriter left and took everything with him. Right or wrong I can't say but I do know he had the copyrights and so he did what he wanted.

Tricky situation. You need to stay clear of their internal politics. Regardless, you need to be paid the last 10% for the job. If they are going to bring you more money to replace vocal tracks, my theory would be to provide the former singer with "client mix downs" and multi-track data discs of the songs, for his own records/personal use. Then, continue with the rest of the band, replacing the vocals (providing they pay you). It's not your problem to worry about what happens to the recording once it leaves your custody. I say, get the project done, and let them fight it out as to who copyrights the SR and gets to release it.

I went through this sort of bullshit back in '04. These days I have the bands sign a sheet saying 2 things: Who pays me the money gets the tracks, & Internal band politics are just that: Internal. Leave me the fuck out of it.

I went through this sort of bullshit back in '04. These days I have the bands sign a sheet saying 2 things: Who pays me the money gets the tracks, & Internal band politics are just that: Internal. Leave me the fuck out of it.

Yeah it sucks, I wrote my policy the day before this bullshit happened. I suck pretty hard for not having one before this happened. :yow:

Tommy Gun said it. The singer paid for most of the recording, so give him the master and tell them to sort it out among themselves. I can imagine how pissed off the vocalist is, if he paid almost all of it and then they decide to swap singers :O

Well, actually, what I meant was to do BOTH. Let whoever pay the last 10% for what has been done. Then give the singer HIS copies of the Multi-tracks and a Client mix down. Then move on with the recording, with the remaining band members, replacing the Vox, etc. Do your engineering/mixing work and be sure you get paid for whatever you do. It's between the remaining band members and their former singer as to whether or not they pay him to use the recorded tracks, etc. You don't need to be concerned with it at all. As far as you are concerned, you are just doing the job you are being paid for. There is always one guy in a band that runs the show. It does not matter what the others say, or if the "leader" didn't even pay a dime. They have all that worked out between them. It's none of your concern and the ex-singer should've never brought you into it. Answer to the band's leader, whoever that may be. then, later, if the shit hits the fan between all of them, he will take the fall for any poorly made decisions. Trust me on this. That's my job in my band. I stick my neck out every day, knowing that if everything goes well, everyone will be patting each other on the back, BUT if anything goes wrong, they are all coming after me. That is the responsibility you take on when you decide to run a band.
Do whatever they pay you to do, give the former singer what he's owed, treat the situation like a job. Unless they have paid you to PRODUCE (including either a flat Production fee and/or signed contract outlining future royalty percentages, etc.), then you are NOT obligated and ill-advised to offer your opinion or give them ANY advice on their internal band politics. Your standpoint should be "Pay me what I'm owed, and leave your drama at home."