Axe Fx II Tone Match

Not really feeling it, the tones weren't really that matched. In order to get a real authentic match, you need to match the guitar amp as well, like the Kemper. This is not possible with matching prerecorded gutiars, but the Axe FX should have a similar matching like the Kemper so that real amps can be emulated more accurately.

From the video, I thought the orignal tone with cab sounded closer than the matched IR. I personally would try to match by tweaking a cab block.

Some of the matches I have heard are 99% accurate (sometimes better than original) others not so .There seems to be some skill to tone matching required (a goodEar) firmware 6 for axe fx has really moved things on for me with this unit . Tone matching is a handy feature but the basic amp models sound excellent now and require much less tweaking to get there . I am stoked with it , one of my best investments for sure .

also i guess the fact that there were delays on the source/reference makes it harder to get good results

So this is basically a curve eq being used as the cab sim? Not really the same thing as the Kemper at all to be honest. I'll agree that it didn't seem to match the tone very closely, though it was still a really good sounding tone in the end.

It is entirely possible that from now on any thread about either Axe fx or Kemper will just descend into nonsense about this one is better than that ... Not that constructive .

watch

not that bad IMHO! ;)

I'm just putting that out there because to me this seems like fractal is trying to make the oblivious think that the axe does what the kemper does. Good marketing though I'll give them that.

LOL so that is exactly how I told this should be done on the Axe-Fx forum when Cliff first heard about it. Nice... where's my free Axe-Fx II as a thank you? :D

You can't really compare the Kemper and Axe-Fx since they both have weaknesses and strengths. What you can do FX-wise on the Axe-Fx with all the parallel FX etc. is something you can't do with anything else out there. But honestly if you don't have an ear for matching a gain stage by yourself then maybe neither of these products are for you. :D

I'm just putting that out there because to me this seems like fractal is trying to make the oblivious think that the axe does what the kemper does. Good marketing though I'll give them that.

My thoughts exactly.

It's not doing the same thing as the Kemper, nor does it produce as convincing results... not that the Kemper is perfect either, but this isn't on the same level.

Of course, the Kemper doesn't have excellent effects either.

Still, it's funny to see people on the Axe-FX forum ranting and raving about the new feature when it so obviously fails in comparison to what the Kemper can pull off.

It is not claiming to be the same as the Kemper ..... and I would reserve judgement on its matching skills for a while . As I own one I can tell you categorically that the standard amp sounds have improved significantly with firmware 6.0. The market is big enough for both companies to thrive if only everyone could chill the fuck out !

Still, it's funny to see people on the Axe-FX forum ranting and raving about the new feature when it so obviously fails in comparison to what the Kemper can pull off.

the axefx forum is a funny place. it's also an interesting insight on how religion works :lol:

the axefx forum is a funny place. it's also an interesting insight on how religion works :lol:

Exactly. I have to admit I've been one of those Axe-priests myself and now that I can look back at that there's so much time waste in that product that it's crazy. Almost as time consuming as praying or going to church. If there is a god, why would she/he like to hear 6 billion people whine all day long. Give him some free time.

The Axe-Fx is an amazing product and very much capable of doing everything imaginable tone-wise. It can do things that the Kemper can't do. It can't match as accurately as Kemper but is it still close enough? That's just personal preference. Why should we decide? Get both.

I think the Kemper and Axe FX II are both great. Everything I've heard from them sounds great. I'm moving to one of them once I sell my Sig X.

in defense of the kemper, alot of guys are digging that the tone is pretty much there in the profile, no need for deep diving and nitpicking over minute parameters like in the Axe....

I HATE tweeking a modeller to try to make it sound and behave like a real amp, If i can load a kemper profile and just tailor the sound with the basic front knobs that would be my choice for sure...

The Kemper was designed specifically to profile sounds, and it does that well. The Axe FX II was designed as a digital modeler and interface, with an EQ match "profiler" added as an afterthought. That's not the Axe FX II's intended function, and nobody bought it for that capability... but it does it surprisingly well, when done correctly. The "profiling" will only get better seeing how often Cliff updates the firmware. It's not exactly fair to compare a product that specializes in one function against something that had it added after only a couple months of development because some of the users thought it might be useful. It's stunning to see that Cliff would add such a major feature to the Axe FX, actually. How often do companies upgrade products that have already been purchased with brand new features? We are talking about two different ball games with modeling and profiling here. You're going to get wonderful sounds out of either product, it's not a competition.

in defense of the kemper, alot of guys are digging that the tone is pretty much there in the profile, no need for deep diving and nitpicking over minute parameters like in the Axe....

I HATE tweeking a modeller to try to make it sound and behave like a real amp, If i can load a kemper profile and just tailor the sound with the basic front knobs that would be my choice for sure...
I've got to say, 6.0 firmware greatly improved the "plug and play" feel of the Axe FX II. I've never been able to hear much different in previous updates, and being primarily a guitar player, a major annoyance with the Axe FX has been needing to tweak so much to get decent sounds. I nearly sold it awhile back for that reason. But, 6.0 sounds significantly better, and I'm able to craft wonderful sounds with only cabinet switches and EQ, without delving down into the deeper parameters. That in addition to getting past the Axe FX learning curve, has me glad I decided to keep it around instead of selling. It's become an amazing piece of gear to have around.