Axe Fx II Tone Match

with the Axe FX has been needing to tweak so much to get decent sounds.

i can start the editor add an drive, amp and cab block and tweak really good sounds within minutes wthout even having to listen to what i actually do.

it's all a matter f how you approach the things ;)

Yeah it's super easy to get a good tone out of the Axe-Fx. Saying that it's hard sounds like someone who tried it once. All the patches I used were simply AMP+CAB... sometimes drive but nothing else. I advice to use custom IR's though.

Yeah it's super easy to get a good tone out of the Axe-Fx. Saying that it's hard sounds like someone who tried it once. All the patches I used were simply AMP+CAB... sometimes drive but nothing else. I advice to use custom IR's though.

That highly depends on your personal definition of a "good tone"...

The reason a lot of people like myself are comparing the new feature to the Kemper is because Cliff made it out to sound like the AxeFx at the time would have the same feature. He was really putting his foot in his mouth by spewing garbage like, the AxeFX's algorithms are better and sound better, the axe will get a feature in the future that will allow it to do everything the kemper can plus all the modeling that comes standard, for the same price as the kemper, the kemper is garbage blah blah blah. He was pretty rude and arrogant about the whole thing. In the end, this is the product of what he said would do exactly what profiling does, um... (Matched_Cab_IR != Profiling).

That highly depends on your personal definition of a "good tone"...

I think a huge part of users needing to take a lot of time tweaking to get a good tone is becuase they are using the axe as an end all from preamp, power amp, cabinet and mic sim all in one, with the cabinet modeling not even being based on real IRs but rather, ditigal based algorithms. I would imagine that running an amp block, plus whatever effect you wanted into a real tube power amp and cab mic'd up would provide instant good tones. Then again I have never played on (should be getting one soon though) and I hate to play direct, I much prefer having a real amp and speaker in the room I am playing.

I own the damn thing, both Ultra and II.

Sure... well I guess it all comes down to how people tweak these amps. I found some great tones with ridiculous settings like. JCM800 with middle on 10 and treble on zero... that sounded like pure awesomeness. Generally speaking I advice to tweak the EQ with gain full and if you get the EQ sounding good then you start lowering the gain and that's where the sweetspot will be. But that's just me. :)

The reason a lot of people like myself are comparing the new feature to the Kemper is because Cliff made it out to sound like the AxeFx at the time would have the same feature. He was really putting his foot in his mouth by spewing garbage like, the AxeFX's algorithms are better and sound better, the axe will get a feature in the future that will allow it to do everything the kemper can plus all the modeling that comes standard, for the same price as the kemper, the kemper is garbage blah blah blah. He was pretty rude and arrogant about the whole thing. In the end, this is the product of what he said would do exactly what profiling does, um... (Matched_Cab_IR != Profiling).

Par the course with that guy. He's been rude and arrogant since the early days from what I can remember.

I think a huge part of users needing to take a lot of time tweaking to get a good tone is becuase they are using the axe as an end all from preamp, power amp, cabinet and mic sim all in one, with the cabinet modeling not even being based on real IRs but rather, ditigal based algorithms. I would imagine that running an amp block, plus whatever effect you wanted into a real tube power amp and cab mic'd up would provide instant good tones. Then again I have never played on (should be getting one soon though) and I hate to play direct, I much prefer having a real amp and speaker in the room I am playing.

Yup. I've been doing some heavy research on the Axe FX II, because I want to get one and a Matrix Amplification GT1000, and have a real guitar cab.

All the worst tones you hear the Axe produce are the ones where everything is in the box. I'm just looking at it like a high-quality amp modeller to be honest, and couple it with a real cab. I'm also wondering whether I could just do the same with a Pod HD.

Cliff (creator of Axe-Fx) is a genius but just like all other geniuses he is an *ssh*le. Something you guys might not know but I got temporarily banned from the Fractal Forum for sticking up to the Kemper Profiler 6 months ago. Sure there were other reasons also since I was creating drama on that forum... and all you need to do is say anything good about other products except for the Axe-Fx to do that. Cliff was saying that Axe-Fx was a lot better than Kemper before anyone of us had even seen or heard anything about the Kemper. I was being a bit critical since people on the forum were bashing the Kemper 6 months before it was going to be released. How the f*ck would they know what the Kemper would be like? That was my main point.

So I would simply say that Cliff is scared as f*** that the Kemper will kill the Axe-Fx.

Other than that... I love the Axe-Fx and I love the Kemper. Bash me all you want but I do feel like I get closer to the original with 2min of tweaking on the TH2 and match EQ than some of the Kemper clips I've heard. Don't get me wrong... there are exceptional Kemper clips out there but there are really bad ones also.

So I would simply say that Cliff is scared as f*** that the Kemper will kill the Axe-Fx.

I think there is some truth to this. In Britain there is a massive price difference between the two.

Other than that... I love the Axe-Fx and I love the Kemper. Bash me all you want but I do feel like I get closer to the original with 2min of tweaking on the TH2 and match EQ than some of the Kemper clips I've heard. Don't get me wrong... there are exceptional Kemper clips out there but there are really bad ones also.

There are also tons of awful Axe FX II tones around in my opinion. There are also loads of bad Amplitube, Podfarm, TH2, etc.... It's all about what you do with what you've got.

At the end of the day, anyone buying these products needs to figure out their needs, and then buy appropriately. I'm leaning more towards the Axe FX II purely for the flexibility of effects and routing. The Kemper looks cool, but I wouldn't do any profiling myself, I'd just use other people's profiles and treat it like any other amp modeller.

Also apparently you cannot turn off the cab + microphone fully with the Kemper, and I'd want to use it into a mosfet based power amp, and then into a guitar cab. So there again... Kemper is more of a studio thing, Axe FX II can fit into a live setup much easier.

Also apparently you cannot turn off the cab + microphone fully with the Kemper, and I'd want to use it into a mosfet based power amp, and then into a guitar cab.

I may be wrong, but I think with kemper you can also profile an amp's direct signal and completely bypass cab+microphone so you can have the amp's genuine dry tone.

Someone who owns a kemper should confirm this though, like I said I'm not completely sure.

I little competition is great for the consumer typically. I'm curious to see cool features and updates for each device. Of course everyone is going to say their box is better than the next. If they didn't think theirs was the best and public about it, no one would buy it. Granted, I think there is a certain level of tact (not a sturgis tone reference) that could be used when talking about a competitor. I'm sure these guys are beyond passionate and when that happens, you lose that filter and cross the line of professionalism.

With that said, the tone match on the Axe is certainly apples to oranges for what the Kemper does however it could be a decent tool of shaping your sound.

I'd like to clear my name after saying those things about Cliff. Although the guy clearly doesn't know the saying "the customer is always right", the Axe-Fx is an amazing product. I have an Ultra coming my way. F*** the Axe-II... I can match EQ myself. :)

I'd like to clear my name after saying those things about Cliff. Although the guy clearly doesn't know the saying "the customer is always right", the Axe-Fx is an amazing product. I have an Ultra coming my way. F*** the Axe-II... I can match EQ myself. :)

I taught you sold your Ultra because you didn't like it. The tone matching feature is really cool especially when you blend two tones together.

I taught you sold your Ultra because you didn't like it. The tone matching feature is really cool especially when you blend two tones together.

I actually owned a Standard and I sold it because real amps just simply sounded better in the end. I didn't really use match EQ with Axe-Fx back then so that's why I'm getting the Ultra now. A cool small rig. And also the parallel effects are cool and I miss having them. There's no way I'm building a pedal board since that rig would be ridiculously complicated. I'd rather just have Axe+MIDI.

There is way more to the AFXII than the tone matching Clark. I'm surprised you decided to settle for an Ultra!

Honestly speaking I love the clean tones that the Axe-II has but I feel like the Axe-II made a turn to worse in high gain tones. Most clips that I've heard have been very loose. Probably the mid gain tones are where the money is but in all seriousness I'm most likely going to match EQ my Orange rig and have my main real amp rig tones modeled in the Ultra and that'll be all.

Anyways I was more than happy with the amp modeling when I had my Standard but didn't like the cabinets. Now that there's match EQ it's a whole different story.

Yup. I've been doing some heavy research on the Axe FX II, because I want to get one and a Matrix Amplification GT1000, and have a real guitar cab.

All the worst tones you hear the Axe produce are the ones where everything is in the box. I'm just looking at it like a high-quality amp modeller to be honest, and couple it with a real cab. I'm also wondering whether I could just do the same with a Pod HD.

Some time ago I ran both a Spider Valve HD150 and an HD147 preamp into the power section of my 5150, totally removed all the required tweaking needed to get good tones. The HD147 was pretty damn convincing on realistic tones, the difference between the 5150 power amp and the 147 power amp was night and day. The combination actually sounded better for just jamming to than the rawness of my 5150's preamp. If the AxeFx's amp modeling is fairly accurate then if you do use a real tube power amp and cab, I can't imagine you would need much tweaking.

All this axe fx vs kemper talk makes me wonder..

Couldn't you just buy a kemper, borrow someone's axe fx and then profile all the amps in the axe? Then you could have both contained in one unit :p

you would have all the axe-fx's amps, yes, but the main thing I like about the axe-fx are the insane routing options and effects
you get-a friend of mine for example loves the idea of the kemper, but he plays in a band that mixes Nine Inch Nails with Muse,
without a synth player, so all the crazy sounds have to be done by him, even the bass player has a huge pedalboard.
Due to the Axe-Fx II he just has an active monitor on the stage most of the time or works with in-ear monitoring and just has
a midi board in front of him-there are lots of sounds you just won't get out of the kemper, not possible because the effects
are missing, that's it.
I love to tweak stuff, so the Axe-Fx would be nice for me, but at the same time, I wouldn't use 95% of the things :D the Kemper
would probably suit me better.