Axe Fx standard or Ultra?

JoergieN

Jul 12, 2010
Drøbak, Norway
Simple question, I've done a lot of research and it seems that the standard will do just fine. But are the extra effects you get with the Ultra really worth shelling out an extra 500 bones?

But there is no difference in the quality of the amp sims right? If not, I'm going with the standard. Not paying an extra 500 for shit I won't use

Just drop the extra few bucks, because after you get the standard you will be disappointed and buyers remorse will set in.

I think I'd have worse "buyer's remorse" if I had spent the extra money on shit I never used. But that's just me...

Then again, it's always better to have too much than not enough.

I went through this before I got my standard. But after considering the extra money and what it would get me I decided against it as lets face it, who wants a fucking synth for their guitar really? haha But joking aside, I've not ran into one problem with processing power since I've owned it even running dual amp combos with fx..... but, if you do get a standard and aren't truly happy with it, the re-sale value on them are consistently high so you could always get rid and get the ultra with pretty much no issue if you've got the extra dollar lying around..... just my opinion.

I ended up buying the ultra just based on the idea that if they keep adding more amps etc that maybe the standard wouldnt have enough memory for all of the updates etc.

Basically the only reason to buy the ultra is for the 'just incase' factor.

Cliff said the standard has more than enough memory etc. for future updates.

Then it's quite obvious what you should choose.

Maybe some users would find use of it live? Maybe there are folks that just like being able to play these weird tones on a guitar. There are other uses than 100% studio use.

Personally that preset and the multiband comp. is what I miss, but I don't really find it worth that extra cash.

Haha, that video is exactly what I was looking at that made me want to reconsider getting the Ultra. Highly doubt that I would use it, but it's just a fun toy. Anyways, what it comes down to right now is the processing speed. Bottom line is that I don't want any issues with it. I don't normally run dual amps, I usually just track two different amps separately but I would like the flexibility of doing anything with it. I don't know, it's up in the air right now and $500 is a big difference to me so it will require some thought.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the ultra, I could always downgrade later if I don't use the other feature. Right now my main concern is the processing speed. I don't think I'll be using a lot of stuff at once but I want the versitility. From what I've heard both sound excellent. My only beef with amp sims are that the chugs annoy the shit out of me. Everything else sounds exactly the same IMO