Axes drumming on the tapes was...

• Not good enough

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Very nice!

Votes: 77 58.3%
  • More than expected!!!

Votes: 45 34.1%

• Total voters
Well, Axe didnt do much during the middle section of Under The Weeping Moon. The album version has all sorts of drum fills and snare rolls. I guess he was trying not to fuck it up, because it seems pretty challenging.

I would suggest to you that he didnt do these drum fills, simply because it would have spoiled the ambience of what mike and per were doing during that part. the album version does have these extra drum parts, but they are very quiet, it would have been extremely difficult to replicate that live as the volume on the drums would have had to have been dampened severely, this potentially messes things up with they have to be re-set.

I very much doubt he didnt do this because he doesnt have the ability to do so.

Drumwise I think windowpane was far too noisy. Sometimes (very seldom) it feels Axe plays too much like a machine. Very hard to explain, but it sounds like he tries too hard to play the parts right. Lopez just played them right... I think this can be noticed for example on the first silent part in the night and the silent water.
Nevertheless Axe was great! Especially Ghost of Perdition, Blackwater Park and The heavy parts in TNATSW were awesome.

Did Lopez EVER play tnatsw? I don't think so! I remember they had to drop Forest of October back in the day cause Lopez couldn't play it right, I guess the old guy just had some messed up style that was hard to copy.

Well, Axe didnt do much during the middle section of Under The Weeping Moon. The album version has all sorts of drum fills and snare rolls. I guess he was trying not to fuck it up, because it seems pretty challenging.

Axe has played those fills, albeit his own way, on earlier legs of the tour - I have bootlegs from the beginning of 2006 (around the time of the Chronology shows) where he's doing the drum fills. I'd assume that sometime between then and November 06, Mike and the guys decided that it was counter-productive to have the drum parts in when the keyboards and the reverberated guitars were producing the atmosphere. That's only an assumption, though

Axe did an amazing job of keeping the integrity of Lopez's work. I have a lot of respect for him not doing any more than what was needed. But I can't wait to hear what he does for the new album!!!

cry me a river :cry:
I found them through p2p as most of us have, and I don't mind admitting that unlike some of you. I have bought all their stuff but after this last cd out it is rather shitty, wouldn't you honestly agree?

Quoted for Truth.
Without p2p I'd still be stuck in the Metallica/megadeth ages. And I too downloaded lots of opeth before buying all the CDs (multiple times in some cases) and several shirts.
P2P = good.

And so was the drumming. Sure everyone would like Lopez back but the truth is we just can't have him. Axe did a great job.