Axes drumming on the tapes was...

• Not good enough

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Very nice!

Votes: 77 58.3%
  • More than expected!!!

Votes: 45 34.1%

• Total voters
You'd be mildly surprised to learn that im not American. Last I checked, Canada was not a part of the USA. Basically, Im just saying that the music stores here suck fucking ass.

I concure with your statement BurningSky. I concur :)

But Canada is part of North America

You going to tell me that there is no fuckup at about 3:55..... ? If that is intentional, then it wasn't that great, lol. Sounds to me like he wasn't sure where he was at that point of the tune....

Yeah, it's a HUGE fuckup, almoust ruins the whole song!

Honestly I think that is not a bad mistake and actually for me the "fuckup" does sound intentional. I think Axe does "fuckups" very seldom. Though in Ilosaari he had obvious problems with the last part in Deliverance.

You going to tell me that there is no fuckup at about 3:55..... ? If that is intentional, then it wasn't that great, lol. Sounds to me like he wasn't sure where he was at that point of the tune....

WHOWAHWAHHWAOHAOHAOHWOWHOHAWOHWA the biggest mistake of his career, crucify him!

Seriously if you guys are going to complain about minor things like this, it seems people are trying real hard to find his flaws.

For all refering to his drumming being "machine-ish" its mainly because Bogren has mixed in a triggered snare-drum on every hard hit, was the same on Ghost Reveries, you'll recognize the sound.

(if it's nog triggered, then übercompressed, but I have a friend who used to help out a bit in fascination street, and Bogren loves to clean up drums by postproduction triggering)

WHOWAHWAHHWAOHAOHAOHWOWHOHAWOHWA the biggest mistake of his career, crucify him!

Seriously if you guys are going to complain about minor things like this, it seems people are trying real hard to find his flaws.

WTF?????? You people really need to learn to read before posting. I am not complaining about it, idiot. If you read my first statement on the first page of this topic, you will see that. Jesus Christ people, I have never seen so many "fanboys" anywhere. Someone asked where the perceived fuckup was, and I told them. Regardless if whether or not it was intentional, it doesn't sound it to me, but it certainly doesn't ruin the song. In fact, I voted "more than expected". READ MY FIRST COMMENT!!!!!!

I had forgotten what you posted since I read it at the very beginning, and didn't go back to look again. This has nothing to do with being a fanboy either, at least you pointed something out as those who actually did complain didn't do anything.

I rekon Axe shouldv'e used brushes for face of melinda like lopez does on the album. Using sticks takes away the jazz feel from the song IMO. Other than that his drumming on the tapes is excellent.

It's also very healthy to remember Lopez had an adjustment period after Anders left. I think Lopez did a good job on MAYH, but nothing like on SL. I think Axe will have a one album adjustment period before he settles into the Opeth groove. After that, everyone will sing his praises.

Yeah, it's a HUGE fuckup, almoust ruins the whole song!

Honestly I think that is not a bad mistake and actually for me the "fuckup" does sound intentional. I think Axe does "fuckups" very seldom. Though in Ilosaari he had obvious problems with the last part in Deliverance.

Honestly I thought it was gonna be something HUGEEE......but really its not even a fuck up.....he did a nice pause...tis just so when Mike kicks back with the vocals the drums kick back with him...have more of an impact....tis not a Fuck up by any stretch of imagination.......PEAC EOUT

You'd be mildly surprised to learn that im not American. Last I checked, Canada was not a part of the USA. Basically, Im just saying that the music stores here suck fucking ass.

I concure with your statement BurningSky. I concur :)

so ... now you are only giving your fellow canadians a bad name :p my remark stays: where the hell do you think Europe is then? :lol:

on topic: the "fuckup" at 3:55 definitely is NOT a fuckup! during Face of Melinda he does this kind of thing a lot, probably there is some name for it, I don't know, but he's hitting the drums a fraction later than you would expect it. at first I hated this, now I'm liking it some more already.
but still, for my own feeling, he does to many things on Face of Melinda, where he sometime should just play normal (or boring). there is a thing as too much embellishing. this is something I have throughout the Tapes though. perhaps it's something to get used to more, it's nice often, only perhaps a bit too often.

and I also agree on playing with brushes like on the album, but again, matter of taste I guess.

all in all, a very nice job of course. people seem to forget here that Axe is more than a death metal drummer, look some more at stuff he has done in the past. although he might be more death metal drummer than Lopez was (although he also was supposed to be that way before Opeth), and this might turn out interesting on the next album!

I honestly wasn't sure. I thought it could have been either, but since he didn't really do anything else in that tune that sounded that "weird" (for lack of a better tune). When a couple of other posters said something about him ruining FOM, I assumed this was what they meant.

Either which way, as I said before, he is an awesome replacement for Lopez.

Axe's drumming is a lot tighter than Lopez' was. The only difference is that imo Axe lacks groove on parts, because he's a straight death metal drummer pretty much, who now has to adapt and play Lopez' grooves and Latin-influenced parts. Thats the only thing wrong with Axe imo, and even that can be partially excused because it's not his drum parts. But for tightness? Axe surpasses Lopez easily - Mike said it himself ~2 years ago that Lopez wasn't consistent tempo-wise live, especially on the double bass parts. Axe, from what I've listened to of various live recordings, is very very tight, even when they were slowing things down substantially at the beginning of the GR tours.

Voted very nice - I didn't expect anything less from Axe, with the shows I've seen and heard.

Well said, end of discussion.

sprobably there is some name for it, I don't know, but he's hitting the drums a fraction later than you would expect it.

syncopation.....thats a jazz technique...but many ppl in other genres like metal/rock use it also .......it really adds to the song....I never thought that was a feck up either....PEAC EOUT

Lopez just played them right... I think this can be noticed for example on the first silent part in the night and the silent water.

For the record....Lopez never played The Night And the Silent Water, at least not on a recording; and I think Axe played it way better than Anders Nordin did

I saw Opeth on the SoTU tour on one of Lopez' last shows...and he was terrible. Double bass was WAY too off, tempo shifting...I could tell something was wrong. I actually forgot that Axe was in the band when I listened to this album, I couldn't tell the difference.

bottom line, no matter how long Axe is in the band, there will ALWAYS be people here to bitch about how much better they think Lopez is.

I think Axe's syncopation "fuck-up" in FoM really adds a lot to the way Mikaels vocals come in. Caught my ear the way Lopez's creativity did when I was first listening to Opeth. This is a good thing!

For the record....Lopez never played The Night And the Silent Water, at least not on a recording; and I think Axe played it way better than Anders Nordin did

I saw Opeth on the SoTU tour on one of Lopez' last shows...and he was terrible. Double bass was WAY too off, tempo shifting...I could tell something was wrong. I actually forgot that Axe was in the band when I listened to this album, I couldn't tell the difference.

bottom line, no matter how long Axe is in the band, there will ALWAYS be people here to bitch about how much better they think Lopez is.

Truth. I knew that I was listening to OPETH when I heard this cd, and was very satisfied with the perfect representations those live recordings were. Bottom line.

It is possible to miss Lopez and still look forward to Axe's performance in the band ... Although I'm still awaiting the new album to form an opinion, I do think that I'll miss Lopez his drumming, but this doesn't mean that I will not like Axe's drumming.
Judging Lopez his performance by his last shows is not fair I think. Although none of us really knows what was en is going on with him, I think it's very obvious and I hope that he'll get his life back together.
So appreciating Axe as a drummer and still missing Lopez as part of Opeth do not exclude eachother.