ayreon track

Beyond Christ´s Embrace said:
No, I don´t think I will sell it to you! :)
Sorry...I´ve actually started to not-hate-it-so-much...
I guess the album is worth having..And some songs are quite good, and i totally understand people that say that this album is fucking amazing, but since I sort of hate power metal in general, so...

It's almost the same here, I'm not a fan of power metal, although the vocalists did do a good job, the riffs just seem a little bland for me. It's a good album, I admit, I just can't seem to get into it, as much say...Melechesh. Heh..

Beyond Christ´s Embrace said:
I don´t like the album that much. Too bad I bought it, but well, i have only myself to blame, since I didn´t know what it would be like and I bought it anyway..I can´t say that it´s bad, but since I don´t enjoy the high male-vocals very much, it isn´t an album that I can really love..Mikael´s and Devin´s vocals I like very much however, and the music is good...All in all, a little to cheesy for my taste, but as I said, I only have myself to blame.
besides beyond christ's embrace (and me), anyone else NOT like the album? yeah it's good actually, but really...the nu prog scene is boring the hell out of me and this album is one of them. mike's vox are pretty good, what else is new in there? and much of the stuff is very cheesy...the lyrics...other than that, all that tull-esque flute stuff with the flutes...come on, we heard that stuff before.

all right bring on the flaming haha. but seriously, what does everyone think?

What ruins it for me is the story. Sure the musics good, the vocalists are great, and all that jazz, but they could have at least done more of a fantasy type story.

I'm wondering if anyone has a guide to who is singing at what point in each song?

apparently there are 2 different chicks singing and someone said that one girl was 14!

Either way.....they have incredible voices..

And who is singing in the deep voice that sounds like Mikael except much lower and a different tone.

The 14-year-old chick (Astrid van der Veen) sings on the Ambeon album, not the latest Ayreon. That low voice David Bowie-sounding guy is Eric Clayton.

The booklet is a pretty damn good guide.

I'm actually getting into this album now. Sure it ain't the fastest metal around and isn't the most technical but I reckon the storyline is pretty interesting itself plus the vocalists do really good jobs. I like the 4th day the best. Mikael sounds great on the album, and even if I don't like James LaBrie or Devin Townsend they sounded pretty awesome on the album.

how do I know when Devin is singing?
I know he has a huge following, but I have never taken too much of a liking to what I've heard.

If I see this album in the store I will definitely pick it up

Darkness_Claimed_my_Flesh... said:
does mikael growl on any tracks other than trauma?? his growls sounds sooo good!!

no, other than he might do those grunts at the end of day sixteen loser? not sure, sounds kinda like him?

Kaberonie said:
I'm wondering if anyone has a guide to who is singing at what point in each song?

apparently there are 2 different chicks singing and someone said that one girl was 14!

Either way.....they have incredible voices..

There are 3 different chicks:
Heather Findlay : As Love
Marcela Bovio : As Wife
Irene Jansen : As Passion

"no, other than he might do those grunts at the end of day sixteen loser? not sure, sounds kinda like him?"

Devin does the vocals at the end of Loser!

Kaberonie said:
how do I know when Devin is singing?
I know he has a huge following, but I have never taken too much of a liking to what I've heard.

You look at the booklet, or if you're a filthy enemy of the music industry :)p) you listen to the songs and go "OMG these vocalparts have like a thousand layers" and there you go, that's Devin. Manical screaming is also another clue to go by.

Sign is pretty cheesy yes...but it has great parts too, like Findlay's absolutely beautiful vocals. Just ends too cheesily.

By the way, as for Devin's solo material (or SYL), you really should take the time to check it all out. It's just so varied...from the pop metal of Ocean Machine to the schizo metal extravaganza of Infinity to the almost speed metal of Physicist to the overblown epicness of Terria to (again) the heavy pop metal of Accelerated Evolution. Also, if heavy-as-fuck music isn't a part of your taste yet (or you thought it was), check out Strapping Young Lad (Dev plays guitar and sings).

i saw SYL live. they were cool. saw em with Meshuggah, whom i normally love on the CDs and whatnot, but i had a soda during their set. and this soda turned out to be better than their set. sigh.

but i DO love how much Devin layers his vocals on the Ayreon album. it sounded like he was a diva when Arjen was trying to get him to be on the album. Devin said he wouldn't perform on the album unless he could have complete control over the lyrics and music (for his part at least) and recorded them in his own hermit studio in the bowels of Canada.