Baby steps to drum tracking

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
So i'd like to be able to drop some dough on some nice overheads but i simply don't have the money for that. However, i came up with an idea that seems almost to good to be true and i'm curious if it will work.

Here's the most cost effective plan i can think of. Buy a set of ddrum triggers, run the triggers into my dm5 then out of the midi out into the midi in of my interface. That way the drums would already be midi and qauntizing time is literally a push of a button (in logic pro). I'd run aptrigga on the seperate midi channels for each respect drum for sample replacement. Then i'll just set up my crappy condenser in the room so i can hear all of the cymbals being played, then simply program the cymbals.

Is this a possible way of doing things? Kinda janky, but it will give me a start until i get some nice OH's.

Also, i know on my dm5 i can assign each input to send to a certain note, say c1 for kick for example. But is there any way i can set up a midi track in logic for each drum? That way the tom's snare and kick all have separate midi tracks that will record at the same time.

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

the drum map should aready be setup so that each drum comes through on whatever track you have, just change the midi channel. I never really used sonar so I dont know the exact way of going about doing it but that should work. there are a few different ways you can accomplish what you need and it depends on what kind of interface you are using

On logic all the midi notes are gonna come in on one midi track. however on different notes. if you assign the dm5 to send at midi notes like 6 notes from each other then simple cut tht midi and paste in on a clean midi track so you end up with 5 different midi tracks.

What version of logic you running and how many preamps do you have available?

So i'd like to be able to drop some dough on some nice overheads but i simply don't have the money for that. However, i came up with an idea that seems almost to good to be true and i'm curious if it will work.

Here's the most cost effective plan i can think of. Buy a set of ddrum triggers, run the triggers into my dm5 then out of the midi out into the midi in of my interface. That way the drums would already be midi and qauntizing time is literally a push of a button (in logic pro). I'd run aptrigga on the seperate midi channels for each respect drum for sample replacement. Then i'll just set up my crappy condenser in the room so i can hear all of the cymbals being played, then simply program the cymbals.

Is this a possible way of doing things? Kinda janky, but it will give me a start until i get some nice OH's.

Also, i know on my dm5 i can assign each input to send to a certain note, say c1 for kick for example. But is there any way i can set up a midi track in logic for each drum? That way the tom's snare and kick all have separate midi tracks that will record at the same time.

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

No,

What you have to do is record all the midi to 1 track then separate out each drum into a new clean midi track. Thats the only way to do it.

I have a presonus firepod, so 8 inputs.

It just seems much easier to run it midi vs. running the actually audio from the trigger into an instrument track and having to slip edit that.

Thanks for the input guys!

It just seems much easier to run it midi vs. running the actually audio from the trigger into an instrument track and having to slip edit that.

What about keeping cymbals in time? You want your midi (and drums coming in on the overheads) to line up with the audio of the overheads.

Hey man the easiest way to do this would be using your triggers would be audio to score in logic. Its in the sample editor window under factory I think. Connect the triggers into the inputs of your firepod, so you just get the trigger information and use audio to score to turn it to midi, apply whatever samples you want then quantize. As for cymbals, you could use just the cymbal pads from your DM5 to save on manual programming.

best way to practice recording would be to just pretend the triggers are mics and record there output and edit like you would a real drum recording and just sample replace off of the recorded signal.

That's why i'm gonna program the cymbals! ;)

I'll probably just use this method until i get some money for decent overheads.

Cymbals are the weakest thing programmed. If you are going to record a performance MIDI, quantize it, and then program cymbals on top, you might as well just program everything and not bother tracking at all.

Triggering drums and recording live cymbals is a good idea, even a pair of SM57s work well enough for a budget solution.

Cymbals are the weakest thing programmed. If you are going to record a performance MIDI, quantize it, and then program cymbals on top, you might as well just program everything and not bother tracking at all.

Triggering drums and recording live cymbals is a good idea, even a pair of SM57s work well enough for a budget solution.

ding ding ding!

The main reason i wanted to go this route is because the past couple bands i've recorded are so nitpicky about every little fill and stuff. This way, they can play it themselves.

However, if decent results could be obtained with sm57's, i would definitely like to go that route. I just haven't found any budget minded overhead mics that would sound that good. Then again, it's not like i've tried them all out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! It's really helped a lot!