back from the military

marginalé said:
i don't know.. you probebly know it better as me.. ;)
yeah! though i was just a little bit to young to fully enjoy all of it :lol:

guess you would have liked it. woodstock!!!!! flower power...all you need is love,love love...

fye said:
aah that's because westerners' records of cruelties aren't kept by themselves.
ah yeah, like everyone knows what the turks did to the poor little armenians but no-ones heard of the holocaust :ill:

we know youre baddies, we've seen all the movies!!

right now im translating a dictionaryabout the hippie culture. i can very well say hippies were the second half of the 60s and the decade that followed...they followed the beat generation.

welcome back cenk, hope it wasnt too hard, the service
you in england at the moment?

marginalé said:
it's just wrong..
and i would refuse to do my service... (but in belgium we don't have to..)

I'm quite sure you have no clue what the military's role is today.

Pisses me off people, who sit back in their absurdly privileged lives and solemnly pour out meaningless stereotypes like war is wrong, military is wrong.

Actually someone was telling em about an interesting discussion they had witha civil rights lawyer and a military type, neither could see that both were vital to each others lifes.

Every civilisation needs an armed force. just pray you never have to find out what the cost of not having one is. Then you can always take the hippie bullshite attitude safe in your ignorance.

Allan said:
I'm quite sure you have no clue what the military's role is today.

Pisses me off people, who sit back in their absurdly privileged lives and solemnly pour out meaningless stereotypes like war is wrong, military is wrong.

no it wasnt too hard. once you get used to extreme heat, lack of sleep, cold showers, terrorist threat, etc its not too bad.

i'm not in england, i'm not allowed to leave the country til the end of the month cos officially i'm still in the military. might stay in Turkey permanently if i get the job i'm going for, dunno yet.

Don Corleone said:
right now im translating a dictionaryabout the hippie culture. i can very well say hippies were the second half of the 60s and the decade that followed...they followed the beat generation.

welcome back cenk, hope it wasnt too hard, the service
you in england at the moment?

cedarbreed said:
Yeah, and the day some fascist entity tries to invade your country, burn your house, kill your parents and rape your children, will you still be thinking that those who are ready to give their lives to save yours are wrong ?

It's all a matter of where you live... in Turkey and Greece (for example), having an army is a good choice - in Sweden... well, WHO will attack us? :tickled:

Now they're re-modeling the structure of our military-defense, and armymen(&women) are bitching about; "Sweden has no defense in case of an attack" - though the truth is that IF someone would attack Sweden, even when the military defense was at it's peak, we as a country wouldn't be able to hold out for 3 days... it's said that we wouldn't be able to even stand the first strike...

So... yes, an army is necessary at times - but some countries, like Sweden etc. could settle with a military force set to act in international operations to defend the sovereign space of the EU.

Allan said:
My stepdad used to preach about your airforce, how it had bases inside the mountains and could survive a nuclear attack and so on.

Well... I rest my case :cool:

Nah, but those that *know* about military stuff say that Sweden never really could defend their own country in case of an attack, and that if there wasn't exterior help (read Nato) then Sweden would've fallen in a matter of days.

Did he REALLY say that those bases could survive a nuclear attack? Did he ever see one? :tickled: Where I live they have those, and well... they aren't no "Norad"!!! :tickled: (Norad is supposed to be one of the safest places in the world when it comes to Nuclear Defense, and it wouldn't survive a direct hit - it's not designed for that.)

cedarbreed said:
Who knows what might happen in 10,50 or 100 years ? Maybe the French will attack you :tickled:

Ah yeah, but we are talking about reality now though?! In 10 years not much will change (to the worse) but in 50, yes perhaps - but then the defense people will be able to have formed their strategy-plans thereafter. (hopefully)

Well, I hope the French stays the hell out... with their stinky tractors and weird food! :ill:

That weird habbit of eating brains and other parts of sorted animals... those thin and fat slices of meat / sausage on a plate... how they don't cut off parts of the stem of the spring onions... etc *yuck* (haha)