Backmask - Arrival (Slate + ENGL e530 + Recabinet)

It's a lot of "thinking like a drummer," as far as lowering velocities in certain places, especially on the ride/hats. 90% of the kit's other hits, besides ride/hats, are 127 the whole time, but I vary that on crashes/chinas/spocks sometimes, as well.

If you think about how a drummer hits, it's always harder on the downbeat - 127 is usually my downbeat it. The other thing to think about is the swing of a cymbal... it's never in the same spot when a drummer is pounding away on it, so some hits are going to come out softer than others.

The rest is just 'groove' and 'feel' based, in all honesty!

Ok thanks for the insight.

Sounds great Shane, really liking the tones.

I'm thinking of maybe buying the 530 preamp, and you have probably explained this before, but could you tell me how you connect your 530 to your computer/interface when using impulses? do you use a power amp between the preamp and the interface or do you just run it straight to the interface?

And one more question, at ENGL's website they advertise the 530 as a tube preamp but it has no tubes in itself, am I correct?

Thanks! :)

I'm thinking of maybe buying the 530 preamp, and you have probably explained this before, but could you tell me how you connect your 530 to your computer/interface when using impulses? do you use a power amp between the preamp and the interface or do you just run it straight to the interface?

All you do is run the line out from the ENGL e530 into a regular 1/4" mono input on your audio interface. Then you fire up an IR plugin on a track and load an impulse. Simple as that.

DO NOT connect a power amp to your interface or you will blow up your amp and interface.

And one more question, at ENGL's website they advertise the 530 as a tube preamp but it has no tubes in itself, am I correct?

The ENGL e530 is a TUBE preamp, or they wouldn't say it is. It has two 12AX7 preamp tubes in it. It is like the preamp section of an ENGL head, though I'm not sure which ENGL head it most closely matches (I've been told the Savage, and it definitely has a similar vibe to the recordings I've heard of the Savage.)

The ENGL e530 is a TUBE preamp, or they wouldn't say it is. It has two 12AX7 preamp tubes in it. It is like the preamp section of an ENGL head, though I'm not sure which ENGL head it most closely matches (I've been told the Savage, and it definitely has a similar vibe to the recordings I've heard of the Savage.)

Yeah, I checked the manual and saw the specifications there, I was just wondering because at the ENGL site there were no mention of what tubes it had in the "technical specifications" section, but when I checked the manual I realized my mistake :loco:

Thanks for the info dude! :)

Two more questions:

1) You don't need to hook up the 530 to a cab while using impulses like you would with an amp head like 6505?
2) Do you remember the settings you had on the 530 when recording this? any post-processing EQ etc.?

Oh, and have you got any clips from the clean channel of the 530? what are your opinions about the clean channel in general?

1) You don't need to hook up the 530 to a cab while using impulses like you would with an amp head like 6505?

No, since it's just a preamp it doesn't need a speaker load. Its only outputs are line level signals, and a headphone out on the front.

2) Do you remember the settings you had on the 530 when recording this? any post-processing EQ etc.?

All the knobs at 7/10, on the lead channel with high gain switch engaged, as well as contour switch engaged. I used my own Recabinet Ghandi impulses (Mesa OS), ran a hi/lo pass EQ in Cubase at 30hz and 14k and added some subtle UAD-1 Pultec EQ to boost at 4k and 100hz very slightly.
Oh, and have you got any clips from the clean channel of the 530? what are your opinions about the clean channel in general?

No clips, but I'll post some soon. The clean channel is great, really nice and open, will also get subtle breakup if you want it with a little bit of gain, but it will go totally clean also of course.

Just finished my Superior 2.0 version of this - lemme know what you guys think.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/ArrivalS20a.mp3

Sounds great! I don't see how you couldn't like those cymbal sounds...:heh: Or tell them from real drums without being told they aren't. Great job.

The only thing I don't quite love is the hats, I like a bigger / lower pitched hi-hat that's why I use the original DFHS hats via X-drum in my setup.

Really looking forward to checking out the cymbals in the new expansion too, seems like there are some good ones in there.

Hey DSS3, could you give some info on the processing of that 2.0 version?

Mainly overheads/cymbals since the "natural" debate has been raging the past week! :)

N
No clips, but I'll post some soon. The clean channel is great, really nice and open, will also get subtle breakup if you want it with a little bit of gain, but it will go totally clean also of course.

Thanks dude, can't wait for the clips :)

Mainly overheads/cymbals since the "natural" debate has been raging the past week! :)

also please mate, the cymbals you're using...
i recognized 18" Sabian AA thin Crash on cymbal 4.
the HH is the manhattan i think.
the cymbal 2 AA salsa splash ?
the Ride 5 ?

I like the 20" chinese on Cymbal 1 and the 18" chinese on cymbal 6. the crash sets sounds also great.

what about you Jeff?

Btw Shane, someone asked this already before, but which impulse is used in the myspace clip "modern metal"? is it your 530 too? what about the "groove metal" clip?

also please mate, the cymbals you're using...
i recognized 18" Sabian AA thin Crash on cymbal 4.
the HH is the manhattan i think.
the cymbal 2 AA salsa splash ?
the Ride 5 ?

I like the 20" chinese on Cymbal 1 and the 18" chinese on cymbal 6. the crash sets sounds also great.

what about you Jeff?

HH: 14" Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz
Cymb1: 20" AAX Chinese
Cymb2: 13" Sabian AA Salsa Splash El Sabor
Cymb3: 18" Sabian Jack Dejonettte Encore
Cymb4: 18" Sabian AA Thin Crash
Cymb5: 16" Sabian HHXtreme/18" Evolution O-Zone crash (spock, not in this song)
Cymb6: 18" Sabian HHX Chinese
Ride5: 22" Sabian Handhammered Raw Dry

S2.0 preset:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/DSS3ArrivalKit.s20

Cubase drum map:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/DSS3 S20 map.drm

Sure man!

I have the OH's up fairly high and get most of the cymbal sound from them. Only eq there is an HPF at 500hz and a small shelf boost at 9khz.

HH has zero eq but gets sent to one of the three verbs I have set for the project. One is an EMT140 impulse and the other is FreeVerb2

The 3 room mics (I use all three) are eq'd almost the same as eachother (HPF @ 250hz for close/mid, 150hz for far, and dip at 18khz for all) and bus'd together. I keep the close room about 5db lower than the mid, and the mid about 1-2db lower than the far. These get bussed together for volume control, but no further processing is done at the bus.

The mono mic gets comp'd (.01 atk, 136 release, -20 @ 3.5:1).

Bullet mic is HPF/LPF'd @ 100hz/15khz and is pretty low in the mix, mostly adding dirtiness to the kick/snare/hats.

Everything ends up at a 'drum' bus - kick goes straight there, snare and toms go through their own busses and then to the 'drum' bus, OH, mono, and bullet go straight, and the room mics go to the room bus before it.

I also set up a parallel comp bus for the drums, and send the overall drum bus to that. Bring it up until things get more powerful but your stereo image is still intact and you're set!

Btw Shane, someone asked this already before, but which impulse is used in the myspace clip "modern metal"? is it your 530 too? what about the "groove metal" clip?

Info on all the Recabinet clips (who did them, what the gear was, etc.) is available here:

http://recabi.net/site/media/

I am really digging Jeff's mix, he definitely did some cooler drum programming than I did.

Still figuring out what to do about S2.0, I may or may not get it again depending on how good of results I can get with Slate + DFH 1.0, and I've been busy working on some other projects the last few days.