Backmask - Arrival (Slate + ENGL e530 + Recabinet)

killer song kazrog! your mix is nice.

DSS3, your mix is awesome. you managed to make s2.0 sound better than any other mix i've heard with it. \m/

HH: 14" Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz
Cymb1: 20" AAX Chinese
Cymb2: 13" Sabian AA Salsa Splash El Sabor
Cymb3: 18" Sabian Jack Dejonettte Encore
Cymb4: 18" Sabian AA Thin Crash
Cymb5: 16" Sabian HHXtreme/18" Evolution O-Zone crash (spock, not in this song)
Cymb6: 18" Sabian HHX Chinese
Ride5: 22" Sabian Handhammered Raw Dry

S2.0 preset:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/DSS3ArrivalKit.s20

Cubase drum map:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/DSS3 S20 map.drm

sweet thanks Jeff.

Looks like we're using almost the same cymbals. well thats the ones that sound the best to me too.

Absolutely loving the song, great work man! :headbang:
The guitars sound awesome, only thing I would change is a bit of the boxyness in the lowmids.
You have to experiment alot with Slates samples to make it fit in a metalmix and making it sound your own, once you have experimented with ADSR, EQ and paralell compression Slate samples sound faaar superior to... Superior Drummer ;3
Blending Slate samples with other Slate samples or even other samples you've found here works wonders if you want the drums to sound "real" and not obvious Slate samples.

I really like the hi-hat sound you were able to accomplish in the superior 2.0 version. Is there any particular rule of thumb with the eq or anything else that you followed to get that sound?

HH: 14" Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz
Cymb1: 20" AAX Chinese
Cymb2: 13" Sabian AA Salsa Splash El Sabor
Cymb3: 18" Sabian Jack Dejonettte Encore
Cymb4: 18" Sabian AA Thin Crash
Cymb5: 16" Sabian HHXtreme/18" Evolution O-Zone crash (spock, not in this song)
Cymb6: 18" Sabian HHX Chinese
Ride5: 22" Sabian Handhammered Raw Dry

S2.0 preset:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/DSS3ArrivalKit.s20

Cubase drum map:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/392637/DSS3 S20 map.drm

:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy

Jeff, the only thing I dislike in your mix is the snare, it sounds boxy to me, needs some more high end snap, but otherwise perfect. What kick/snare samples did you use?

Snare was stock BlackBeauty... could use a bit more bottom mic in the mix, I agree.

Kick was 100% Sneap, chain was aptrigga -> PSP MixComp -> apEQ -> Rcomp -> C4.

Hats have zero eq!

Jeff, the only thing I dislike in your mix is the snare, it sounds boxy to me, needs some more high end snap, but otherwise perfect. What kick/snare samples did you use?

I really like this guitar tone. This is the type of guitar tone I would like to have. I like the superior 2.0 better than the slate 3.0 drums. I think the drums sound much more lively on the SD2.0. I prefer your drums on your last album though. I really liked lose drums. Especially the snare. I know this is only a demo though. I like the song. Can't wait until your new album comes out.

I really like this guitar tone. This is the type of guitar tone I would like to have. I like the superior 2.0 better than the slate 3.0 drums. I think the drums sound much more lively on the SD2.0. I prefer your drums on your last album though. I really liked lose drums. Especially the snare. I know this is only a demo though. I like the song. Can't wait until your new album comes out.

Wow, somebody who actually liked the snare on Dark Fiber besides me? :lol:

I still have the Battery kit I used on that album available to use - and I may be using some pieces of that kit along with Slate 3.0 - I'm still in the process of building the ultimate kit and there's obviously infinite variables there.

What's a bit funny looking back is how many things I actually got right on that album, and even though I can definitely do a stronger album now in terms of both songwriting and production - I must say that it's been difficult competing with my past work regardless.

first off, amazing playing and programming.. with that type of performance who really gives a fuck about the drums..

having said that..

the drum sounds are very different from each program so.. I can definitely hear more punch and presence and balls from SSD 3.0 kick and snare.. I didn't care for either the kick or snare sound out of Superior (just my biased opinion of course) .. but I don't quite care as much for the cymbal choice you had with SSD 3.0 and I think the drums are mixed a tiny bit too dry.. the crash used for the riding part in the opening is way lower pitched then the Superior cymbal and is less fitting.

But the Superior track has a bit more depth to it because it seems like the ambience level is up... I mostly hear direct mics in the SSD 3.0 version.

I'd try this.. load up the SSD 3.0 version again, and route the room tracks to their own channel and don't be afraid to push it a bit... for snare I'd make sure you choose the SSD room not the NRG, which won't have as much massive depth... Also make sure the OVERHEADS are at the ON position... Then choose a crash cymbal thats a bit higher pitched with less bite.. maybe one of the Paistes.. then do this eq:

- Use a low shelf to cut all the bottom from about 300Hz and below
- Use a mid bell and cut some mids out, like 1khz
- Use a upper mid bell and boost at about 12khz

I'd use eqs by URS or AIR EQ by Eiosis which is my favorite eq now..

Obviously you just started using SSD 3.0 so you are still learning it.. and so far you've done well my friend.

I'd be curious to play around with these tracks and midi file as well.. can you send them to me via YOUSENDIT to support@stevenslatedrums.com

I'd really love to show you guys how cool our cymbals can be for metal once they are eq'd for metal.. you'll be surprised at how close I'll get them to sound to the superior cymbals with some eq..

shred I remember requesting a song to mix and you sending it to me, and then having a whole shitload of crap happen that week in the office and I never got to it. But the offer still stands if you wouldn't mind resending.

Slate - just emailed you. Thanks so much for the positive feedback and for taking the time to check this out!!

I think the main problem with my mix is that I haven't had any time to delve into SSD 3.0 and really explore the sounds.