Backmask - Arrival (Slate + ENGL e530 + Recabinet)

first off, amazing playing and programming.. with that type of performance who really gives a fuck about the drums..

having said that..

the drum sounds are very different from each program so.. I can definitely hear more punch and presence and balls from SSD 3.0 kick and snare.. I didn't care for either the kick or snare sound out of Superior (just my biased opinion of course) .. but I don't quite care as much for the cymbal choice you had with SSD 3.0 and I think the drums are mixed a tiny bit too dry.. the crash used for the riding part in the opening is way lower pitched then the Superior cymbal and is less fitting.

But the Superior track has a bit more depth to it because it seems like the ambience level is up... I mostly hear direct mics in the SSD 3.0 version.

I'd try this.. load up the SSD 3.0 version again, and route the room tracks to their own channel and don't be afraid to push it a bit... for snare I'd make sure you choose the SSD room not the NRG, which won't have as much massive depth... Also make sure the OVERHEADS are at the ON position... Then choose a crash cymbal thats a bit higher pitched with less bite.. maybe one of the Paistes.. then do this eq:

- Use a low shelf to cut all the bottom from about 300Hz and below
- Use a mid bell and cut some mids out, like 1khz
- Use a upper mid bell and boost at about 12khz

I'd use eqs by URS or AIR EQ by Eiosis which is my favorite eq now..

Obviously you just started using SSD 3.0 so you are still learning it.. and so far you've done well my friend.

I'd be curious to play around with these tracks and midi file as well.. can you send them to me via YOUSENDIT to support@stevenslatedrums.com

I'd really love to show you guys how cool our cymbals can be for metal once they are eq'd for metal.. you'll be surprised at how close I'll get them to sound to the superior cymbals with some eq..

WOW I would simply trade in Superior for Slate drums just based on this awesome post!

Shane, I don't want to sound like an ass, the song is great but I am pretty sure those ride rolls at 04:25 are pretty impossible to do with one hand :)

Totally impossible with one hand, but if you notice there's no ride hit when the snare hits... you'd move your left hand over quickly to the ride and return it to the snare when it needs to be hit. Lemme see if I can find a youtube video of what I'm talking about. The same thing goes down in Death's Misanthrope.

*EDIT*

@ 1:40 is a very similar technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the mixes I've heard that sound great with DFHS and S2.0 involved replacing the kick and snare with something else, essentially just using the ToonTrack stuff for toms and cymbals. If there's an example of pure DFHS or S2.0 that's an exception, I don't remember hearing it.

I don't know if you like his mixes, but Bulb is known to not replace anything with both DFHS and Superior 2.0.