Backmask - Arrival

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
The new single is ready. You hear it first:

http://backmask.com/downloads/audio/Arrival.mp3

I decided to make it an instrumental - nothing I was doing vocally fit the song. Thankfully, I've been working on some lead guitar ninjitsu techniques lately, and I quickly tracked all of the solos in the last couple of hours, and ran off a mix.

This gives you a taste of what we've been working on these past few months - the new music is fairly involved and it's easy to get overly perfectionistic about ever little aspect of it. I've decided to set some new boundaries with my internal critic, and to release mp3s more often. Fuck it!

Comments welcome. Thanks for being patient! :kickass:

Forgive me for not responding to this sooner... but I didn't even know you posted this link until today!! (I was listening to "Dark Fiber" a minute ago and I just decided to randomly come to your forum and check to see if there was an update on the new album.)

I really like this single! I'm glad you kept it as an instrumental. There's lots of elements of the song that would be very hard to keep if it had vocals crushing it. I love all of the variation to it too! (e.g. the harmonies, the melody changes, the instrument changes, mood changes, etc.)

I can't wait to hear more singles... err... no... wait... I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE WHOLE ALBUM!!!! :p :headbang: :kickass: :Smokin: :)

I'm working on some new music at the moment for my solo project. Not sure what exactly is going to go on with Backmask, since we're geographically very spread out now. I will of course keep you posted. Thanks!

Solo project eh? More in the vein of the pre-Dark Fiber material, I hope? Dying Again was killer.

Thanks! I really appreciate that actually. You and I definitely have different taste, as I really was unhappy about that song and I've done everything I can to erase it. :lol:

Perhaps a Backmask retrospective is in order, because my tendency towards revisionism really doesn't respect the considerable effort that everyone involved with Backmask over the years put into the project, regardless of how I might feel about it. Once you put music out into the world you kind of have to accept that you might accidentally release something people actually like more than you do. I suppose that's really a good problem and I should just go with it.

Back to your question though, the solo stuff is shaping up to be completely different than anything you've heard from Backmask at any point. I'm very inspired right now and the music is very open, ambient, progressive, grooving, evolving, etc. and definitely very heavy in places. I have yet to finish a song actually, because they just keep going and going like Energizer bunnies on the moon. :cool:

Heh. I hear you man. DS had an album's worth of material before I joined that we basically tossed aside apart from one song (which was reworked into an acoustic track). I've been pushing for years to at least break them out live once in a while, and we finally started playing one of the more "popular" songs from that era recently - with a fantastic response. Of course, the band sounds a lot different for the most part now, so that is a factor as well.

Good song, waiting to buy new album, hopefully soon. It only took almost 2 years and a million attempts to remember my password! Hurray, I'm an idiot!

Thanks!

Completely disregard my previous post. All of the new stuff I've recorded so far, I realized recently, sounds exactly like BACKMASK, just the logical next step from "Dark Fiber," not any kind of crazy departure at all. So it will remain BACKMASK, and since it's my project anyway (in much the same way as Opeth is Mikael Akerfeldt's band, business-wise.) I'm going to continue making BACKMASK music for the forseeable future, from this point forward.

I'm in the process of putting together a new lineup. More on that, and of course the new music itself, as things solidify.

Thanks!

Working on the new Backmask record as time permits. Lots of great stuff going on and I've got more than an album's worth of material written. "Arrival" won't make the record, it's probably the weakest track I've written honestly. Perhaps if I went BREEEE BREEE BREEEEE all over it, it would become amazing.

Thanks!

Working on the new Backmask record as time permits. Lots of great stuff going on and I've got more than an album's worth of material written. "Arrival" won't make the record, it's probably the weakest track I've written honestly. Perhaps if I went BREEEE BREEE BREEEEE all over it, it would become amazing.

:lol:

Thanks!

So post the cool stuff ;-)

I'll be posting new music as soon as I feel it's ready. I've not had time to properly finish any of the new songs yet, I've been producing bands and working on Recabinet, which has taken most of my time this year. Typically when I record my own music these days, it's just to get an idea down so I don't forget it. I've got tons of great ideas recorded, though, some more complete than others.

I've successfully emancipated myself from the 40 hour workweek that was holding me back for years, and now it's just a question of me giving myself some dedicated time for Backmask.

If you're still in SB, I'm still down to try out on drums =]

Thanks!

I'm a bit north of SB now, and I no longer have a practice studio. I'm also not looking for band members at this point, my workflow just doesn't make sense in a band context anymore.

At some point, I may look for live band members to play shows with, but not until the new record is finished. Making good progress on the album front, though, finally!

Making good progress on the album front, though, finally!

I for one am very excited about this! I know many of the things that have never been released to the public are great. I even remember several riffs recorded during the "Arrival" timeline were fantastic.

[OT]

Why did Musician's Friend have to raise their damn prices for the Engl E530??? I've been G.A.S.ing for it ever since you got yours. Too bad music goodies are quite a few spots down on my "to buy" list.

/[OT]